Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Accept a Money Order for Ebay sale?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Watt

Aug 16, 2008
Cleveland
Someone just asked this to me, saying: Q: will u take moneyorder by mail and after u cash it u can send me the card?

Is this safe to do? I'm not really sure what Ebay's policy is on money orders or if I could be scammed in any way.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Watt said:
Someone just asked this to me, saying: Q: will u take moneyorder by mail and after u cash it u can send me the card?

Is this safe to do? I'm not really sure what Ebay's policy is on money orders or if I could be scammed in any way.
Can't see how you could go wrong with the money in hand.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Paypal technically doesn't allow it anymore...

...but it saves fees, and they can't force a chargeback via Paypal. Though you have the hassle of waiting and cashing (or the buyer not sending and saying they did). Tough call.

If you just want the transactions to be easy, tell them "Sorry no, Paypal only."

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
yea, if anything, it is hazardous to the buyer, as they won't have any recourse if you claim you didn't get it. I would prefer MO's as payments, but ebay pretty much requires paypal, which isn't bad for a 3% fee

Zithy

Sep 18, 2008
If the MO was for a significant amount, I would cash it at the bank (instead of ATM deposit, for example) and ask the teller if there's any reason I should worry about it. Then I would mail the item after a 48 hour wait and after checking my bank account.

I'm sure it's on the side of caution, though, and I'd bet the buyer just didn't have funds in his Paypal account, doesn't want to use a CC and wants to make sure he gets the item instead of waiting and someone else hits the BIN.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
It is probably safer than Paypal although fake money orders do exist. Per eBay rules: Payment by personal check, cashier’s check, bank-to-bank transfers, or money order isn't allowed for most eBay purchases. I get a money order request just often enough to state in my auctions "All standard payment types accepted. Paypal preferred." This is a way of letting buyers know the money order option is on the table without explicitly stating so. Money order = no Paypal fees and this is something I cannot turn down.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
You are allowed to accept any form of payment. You just can't advertise that.

Yep.

Guy recently asked me if he could send a MO.... I always tell them yes... ebay just doesnt allow us to list it as a form of payment anymore.

He ended up sending a $10 bill :)

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
will i take a MO is music to my ears. Any time i can give those effers less fee money im a super happy guy :)

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
I would request it be a Postal Money order or a bank issued money order even.. there are too many phony money orders out there from the likes of Western Unlion and other suppliers. I used to do all my transactions by MO but now with all the forgeries and theft of MO's out there I only deal Paypal.

Pills

Aug 7, 2008
As was said, you're not necessarily safe if it's not a PO money order. Treat it like a check and wait for it to clear.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I had a buyer two weeks ago win an auction and then ask me for my address so he could send me a money order. i was fine with it, but he didn't even bother asking me before hand if I accept them or not

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
You know before Paypal was around it was pretty much M/O's and CC's anyways. Personal checks as well. I didn't mind them then an I don't mind them now. I'd send out a M/O or CC right away and put a 10-business day hold on all Personal checks. --That may sound a bit excessive, but I bank with a Federal Credit Union and they could not provide me with a specific date checks cleared.
I also used to get money at times. The craziest thing I ever received was $250.00 cash. That was insane and I sent the buyer an email discouraging him from using that sort of practice in the future with me or anyone else.

There are still people on the bay who do not use Paypal. It's my feeling that getting ripped with a M/O or CC would be a whole lot less of a risk now than it once was with Paypal being the main form of payment now.

Accept them peeps. Accept them.
Just me buck ana qwuata.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts