Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hofstra Show Report! (Long read)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Ok, just got back from the show...decent, decent. It wasn't as good as before. I think people just figure it is baseball season, so they hike prices for almost all boxes and singles.

For those interested, box prices were as follows:

2006 BDP: 80
2006 BC: 65-80 (bought 2 of the $65 ones)
2007 BC: 75
2007 BDP: 85
2008 BC: 45
2008 BDP: 85
2009 BC: 45-55
2009 BDP: 75
2009 EEE: 85-93
2010 USA: 80-90 (bought 1 of the $80 ones)

So, as you can see, box prices were quite high.

As for the show, the crowd was pretty good...slow at the beginning, it picked up later. Seaver was there and his line was surprisingly short for a guy of his caliber (of course the prices per autos were crazy-high). Lots of VINTAGE...vintage, vintage, vintage. Of course there were the usual prospecting tables...saw the same cast of characters like JCMINT, the older bald guy (forgot his name) and the same guys from every show that setup.

Like I said before, prices were high. So, I actually came out to the car with more $$$ than I expected! I just could not muster up paying more than ebay for many of the cards there (yes, I know you can see, inspect them or whatever...but is that worth $10-15 more than ebay?).

So, a guy was selling Topps Debut common singles, so I bought his gold/50 lot for $.83 each (total of $5 for all 6):

ToppsDebutGoldLot.jpg

I figured, why not. Cheap with some potential I guess.

I dropped off my BGS 10/10/10 submission and picked up 3 boxes on the way out.

This is my first USA box ever for me...I mean ever, so I have no clue who many of these guys are but for a chance at Bryce for $80, why not! Well, I got Bryce...but wrong guy!

USALot-1.jpg
USALot-2.jpg
USALot-3.jpg
USALot-4.jpg

Then I could not resist 06 Bowman Chrome boxes at $65 each...seems like a good price to me, so I bought 2. I was VERY HAPPY with the pulls (wish Gordon was back in 2006!) and thought I bought going back for box 3 but saw the checklist and decided to quit while I was ahead...lots of dud autos!

06BowmanChromeBoxes.jpg

Well, that's it folks! Can't wait for the WP show in May!

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Nice haul!

Did you happen to notice if anyone was selling Ike Davis Chrome Auto's and Refractor Auto's and if so, for how much?

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
JEA2880 said:
Nice haul!

Did you happen to notice if anyone was selling Ike Davis Chrome Auto's and Refractor Auto's and if so, for how much?

Yeah, everyone was going Ike crazy on their prices. I didn't ask specifically but overheard them quoting $40 for base and $60-$70 on refs.

BGS 9.5 base were like 110 or so.

Hope that helps.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Messier2 said:
JEA2880 said:
Nice haul!

Yeah, everyone was going Ike crazy on their prices. I didn't ask specifically but overheard them quoting $40 for base and $60-$70 on refs.

Hope that helps.

Were people buying him? I was hoping to get $40 on my base and $65 on my Refractors, was almost hoping to hear that dealers were asking $50 and $75. Thanks for the feedback, as long as he continues to hit the stuff will only continue to go up. He CRUSHED his first homer yesterday.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Ikes were not going for more then ebay actually in some cases lower. I sold some of mine below ebay prices.

JEA2880 said:
Messier2 said:
JEA2880 said:
Nice haul!

Hope that helps.

Were people buying him? I was hoping to get $40 on my base and $65 on my Refractors, was almost hoping to hear that dealers were asking $50 and $75. Thanks for the feedback, as long as he continues to hit the stuff will only continue to go up. He CRUSHED his first homer yesterday.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Anyone go Sunday? If so, how was it?

I've never gone on a Sunday but may need to do that for the WP show in May.

Members online

Latest posts