Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Could Leake steal the ROY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
What the guy has done so far is mighty impressive and a key to the Reds good season. I know Stras will come up
and win 20 but this guy has a 5 game head start, any chance?

Kevin

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
I think Heyward has it locked up right now..... but with 4 months left in the season... anything is possible.

And Strasburg will struggle with runners on base.... he showed that in AAA when he wasnt nearly as good throwing from the stretch.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
but isn't going 5-0 as a pitcher in the bigs more impressive than what Heyward has done? He has beaten St Louis
and the Dodgers!

Kevin

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I'm not sure I understand how Heyward has this locked up. Can anyone explain?

Oh, and please leave the age factor out of it. It's impressive that he's only 20 or whatever, but a rookie is a rookie, and age really isn't taken into consideration for this award.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

Oh, and please leave the age factor out of it. It's impressive that he's only 20 or whatever, but a rookie is a rookie, and age really isn't taken into consideration for this award.

People are still drunk by the Hype-punch. There are other rookies out there with similar numbers that people have not even been mentioning in ROY contention.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
bradical said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

People are still drunk by the Hype-punch. There are other rookies out there with similar numbers that people have not even been mentioning in ROY contention.

Really? Heyward is 5th in the NL in OBP, 11th in Slugging, and 7th in OPS. He is 9th in RBIs, 13th in HRs, and has almost as many BBs as SOs. There are very few players, never mind rookies, that can claim anything close to these numbers.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Heyward made the early noise, but he's started June with the worst numbers imaginable (.111 BA, .444 OPS, 0 RBI, a platinum sombrero game), so maybe he's been figured out to an extent, and/or he's pushing.

Leake is getting mentioned in many Strasburg stories, so there's some buzz building around him in the genpop as well. But his numbers worry me. Yes, results are what matter, but looking closer, I'm not sure he won't get figured out sooner than later. He has an alarmingly low strikeout rate for a guy with his WHIP, which has risen lately. This tells me his defense is making more outs than his arm. When hitters get more study on him, they'll be getting more hits, and the bloom will be off his rose.

It's going to be a real race this year. ROY often depends on how you finish, and considering a couple big names haven't even entered the race yet, no one has any kind of edge yet.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
Not taking into account Heyward right now, how is Laeke better than Jaime Garcia?

Garcia:
5-2
1.32 ERA
51 K

1.190 WHIP

Leake:
5-0
2.22 ERA
50 K (in more innings than Garcia)
1.233 WHIP

Members online

Latest posts