Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This is one weird crazy hobby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
WE all know this but imagine having to explain some things to non collectors.

1. Guys, no, teens, who havent played a day in rooki l evel can have cards worth thousands of dollars.

2. Delmon. Hughes. Both guys were mega super dooper hyped before playing a MLB game. Both failed untill recently yet their cards sell for a FRACTION of what they did before they made the majors depsite Hughes leading the AL in wins for the biggest team in sports.

3. $100 packs which constantly yield a triple gu card that sells for $10

4. Josh Hamilton and the RC Logo: His first card is 1999 and is considered a rookie card......but so is his 2007 card.

5. Leagues thinking no cmpetition is good.

6. The fact that people pay $500 for a pack of cards.

7. Someone paid 16,400 bucks for one month old card of a guy who had never played in the majors.

8. That "old" cards from the 1980's are worthless.

9. That once a top prospect becomes a veteran star, his cards eventually go.......down.

10. GU and autos. They are really intrigued by these concepts.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Nice list, definitely some interesting stuff. My personal favorite is simply the fact that cardboard with pictures of baseball players can hold value, and lots of it. Furthermore, the fact that this value can and does fluctuate daily in many cases.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Good list. Especially the last one. I had a hell of a time explaining to my friend about that last one. He thought they were facsimili sigs. I had to explain to him they were not.

The hardest thing I have to explain is the part where I may pay $*** for any particular card. They get real weird when you bring this up. It seems they always think its awesome when you show them something you own thats worth a few hundered bucks or more. Yet tell them you pay that much for something and they go bonkers. Its like that thought process is hard to grasp. How on earth could something be worth a couple hundred dollars if nobody would pay that much? Yet the people who do are dumb? This goes for high end packs or cards. They always think these things are cool as hell and even get interested in getting some of them until you tell them what they cost. Then its "oh no".

Members online

Latest posts