Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who is your AL MVP right now?

Who is the AL MVP thus far?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Just thought it would be fun to discuss. There really isn't a clear frontrunner...

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I wouldn't mind a race to the wire between Miguel Cabrera and Josh Hamilton.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Daltonb1219 said:
I think it would be but im not sure is Hamilton can play like he has in June all year?

If he plays like he did in June the rest of the year, it won't be a question who win the MVP ;)

He honestly, just like several other names up there, needs to be consistently great now.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
And did you even acknowledge the other four candidates that are just as easily acceptable as MVP on winning teams? Probably not.

Don't get me wrong. Cano is have an MVP-type season. But just admit your a homer and move on. Don't try defending it.

vwnut13 said:
markakis8 said:
I guess that's one way to be subtle about your homer-ism

vwnut13 said:

No, I just looked at some stats.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
markakis8 said:
And did you even acknowledge the other four candidates that are just as easily acceptable as MVP on winning teams? Probably not.

Don't get me wrong. Cano is have an MVP-type season. But just admit your a homer and move on. Don't try defending it.

vwnut13 said:
markakis8 said:

vwnut13 said:

Cano carried the Yankees through April and May. No Doubt.

Josh Hamilton has had what, one great month?

Justin Morneau, please show me where his stats are any better.

It's between Cabrera and Cano. I'll give you that. Oh, and David Price :lol: ::facepalm::

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
markakis8 said:

vwnut13 said:
markakis8 said:

vwnut13 said:

I could defend it for him.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
darocker80 said:
Robinson Cano. His offensive numbers at second baseman, and the main weapon in an offense consisting of Tex, A-rod, Jeter. etc.

And don't forget how much better his defense is than Cabreras.

NINE Errors at FIRST BASE? :lol:

EDIT: And markakis8, I assume you think that Cano should be forth in the MVP voting? :lol:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
17ROCKIES12 said:

so could i. my point was he's not even acknowledging the other candidates. it doesn't bug me that he chooses Cano. it bugs me he chooses cano, won't admit he's a homer, and then tries to give reasons he isn't a homer!

"what josh hamilton had one good month?"

lol wtf does that matter? his "one good month" has given him better offensive numbers than Cano in SLG, OPS, HR, RBI, tied him for 2B and put him 5 hits behind him and an avg of .347 compared to .358.

CLEARLY Cano is the MVP.

And I didn't even post Miguel Cabrera's or Justin Morneau's numbers.

EDIT: And I voted for Miguel but like I said before, there are easily 5 guys, possibly 6 that would garner first-place votes right now.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
markakis8 said:
17ROCKIES12 said:

so could i. my point was he's not even acknowledging the other candidates. it doesn't bug me that he chooses Cano. it bugs me he chooses cano, won't admit he's a homer, and then tries to give reasons he isn't a homer!

"what josh hamilton had one good month?"

lol wtf does that matter? his "one good month" has given him better offensive numbers than Cano in SLG, OPS, HR, RBI, tied him for 2B and put him 5 hits behind him and an avg of .347 compared to .358.

CLEARLY Cano is the MVP.

And I didn't even post Miguel Cabrera's or Justin Morneau's numbers.

EDIT: And I voted for Miguel but like I said before, there are easily 5 guys, possibly 6 that would garner first-place votes right now.

Remember, it's not just offense. And if it was Mauer that had these exact numbers you would be throwing him a parade.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
vwnut - I present to you the following stats:

Cano - 55-15-52-1.002
Morneau - 47-15-49-1.061
Hamilton - 52-18-57-1.008
Cabrera - 56-20-66-1.041
Guerrero - 48-15-60-.912
Konerko - 45-20-56-.969
Youkilis - 61-15-50-1.009
Beltre - 38-12-52-.926
Wells - 44-19-47-.917

You may notice I excluded batting average. I used OPS instead, as it is a better gauge at how good offensively a player is.

Based on these stats, Cano is behind Hamilton in ALL categories, Cabrera in ALL categories, Youkilis has more runs/higher OPS/same amount of HR and only 2 less RBI, Konerko less runs/lower OPS but more homers and more RBI, Morneau leads the league in OPS, same amount of HR, less runs/RBI. Guerrero, Beltre and Wells are having nice seasons, but they don't really compare to the guys above them.

Crazy as it seems, those 9 bats listed are also the 9 highest OPS in the AL.

If I was a voting man, i'd currently give it to Cabrera. League lead in RBI, tied for lead in HR, 2nd best OPS and tied for 2nd in the league in runs. And, since you will probably want to bring up Cano's league leading BA, Cabrera is 5th overall in the league.

Now please, convince me how it is between JUST Cano and Cabrera. Remember now, the MVP is based on the ENTIRE year's worth of stats, not what Cano did in April and June ;)

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Anthony K. said:
vwnut - I present to you the following stats:

Cano - 55-15-52-1.002
Morneau - 47-15-49-1.061
Hamilton - 52-18-57-1.008
Cabrera - 56-20-66-1.041
Guerrero - 48-15-60-.912
Konerko - 45-20-56-.969
Youkilis - 61-15-50-1.009
Beltre - 38-12-52-.926
Wells - 44-19-47-.917

You may notice I excluded batting average. I used OPS instead, as it is a better gauge at how good offensively a player is.

Based on these stats, Cano is behind Hamilton in ALL categories, Cabrera in ALL categories, Youkilis has more runs/higher OPS/same amount of HR and only 2 less RBI, Konerko less runs/lower OPS but more homers and more RBI, Morneau leads the league in OPS, same amount of HR, less runs/RBI. Guerrero, Beltre and Wells are having nice seasons, but they don't really compare to the guys above them.

Crazy as it seems, those 9 bats listed are also the 9 highest OPS in the AL.

If I was a voting man, i'd currently give it to Cabrera. League lead in RBI, tied for lead in HR, 2nd best OPS and tied for 2nd in the league in runs. And, since you will probably want to bring up Cano's league leading BA, Cabrera is 5th overall in the league.

Now please, convince me how it is between JUST Cano and Cabrera. Remember now, the MVP is based on the ENTIRE year's worth of stats, not what Cano did in April and June ;)

Thank you! That's all I was getting at. Cano can be considered but far from taking home prize and any Yankee fan not willing to admit that - pure homer.

cartertr

Jun 27, 2010
Its Cano for sure. He's on my fantasy team so I've been following him especially closely. Cabrera is nuts right now but Cano has been SO consistent. Cano hands down.

Members online

Latest posts