Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ESPN Radio reports on Strasburg's innings limit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
Just heard on the radio that he only has 51 innings left according to the plan the Nationals have for his development. Sounds like he might have 8-10 games left, depending on innings usage.

I do wonder if they will start holding him to just 5 innings and then pull him in order to get 10 starts out of him. If you have him in fantasy baseball, you might want to consider trading him at the trade deadline to someone who may not know this info. :)

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
No need to even limit his limited inning. The Nationals are out of the playoff hunt ;) So if he runs out he runs out.
I think he will get maybe 6 more games, so 30 days from now he will be riding the bench in Triple AAA

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Hopefully they can stretch it to first week in Sept. I got Pirates/Nats tickets Sept 3rd! :D

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Pine Tar said:
No need to even limit his limited inning. The Nationals are out of the playoff hunt ;) So if he runs out he runs out.
I think he will get maybe 6 more games, so 30 days from now he will be riding the bench in Triple AAA

Disabled list.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
DWright5 said:
Hopefully they can stretch it to first week in Sept. I got Pirates/Nats tickets Sept 3rd! :D

Trying to get that Pirates fleece blanket huh!!! :lol:

I hope he lasts until then as well, I will be going to one of the 3 games if he is scheduled to pitch.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
mstng99tim said:
DWright5 said:

Trying to get that Pirates fleece blanket huh!!! :lol:

I hope he lasts until then as well, I will be going to one of the 3 games if he is scheduled to pitch.

Cool, will match the beach towel I got last week! :cool:

Actually just trying to work around my work schedule. Only game in the Nats series I can make.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I personally don't agree with limiting innings.

As a former college pitcher I can tell you that during the off-season, you don't take time off. You still pitch every few days to stay sharp and to work on your stuff. What difference is there between throwing a 60 pitch bullpen every 5 days and starting a game every 5 days? Just limit his pitches if you're worried about tiring him out, not his starts.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

As a former college pitcher I can tell you that during the off-season, you don't take time off. You still pitch every few days to stay sharp and to work on your stuff. What difference is there between throwing a 60 pitch bullpen every 5 days and starting a game every 5 days? Just limit his pitches if you're worried about tiring him out, not his starts.

Well, limiting innings actually makes no sense. It's not the innings that kills a pitchers arm, it's the number of pitches.

Throwing a 9 inning game with 100 pitches is not "worse" than throwing 7 innings with 110 pitches - but basing it on number of innings, it is worse, which is stupid. What teams need to do is limit a pitchers pitches per game, regardless of their starts/innings. You want to save an arm...have him throw less pitches.

Ndepaul99

Jul 20, 2010
Sly said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

Well, limiting innings actually makes no sense. It's not the innings that kills a pitchers arm, it's the number of pitches.

Throwing a 9 inning game with 100 pitches is not "worse" than throwing 7 innings with 110 pitches - but basing it on number of innings, it is worse, which is stupid. What teams need to do is limit a pitchers pitches per game, regardless of their starts/innings. You want to save an arm...have him throw less pitches.

well said, great point !!

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
I agree with you. I thought it was an odd way of limiting him. I imagine they are thinking in terms of pitch count somewhere in their logic. I would hope they would because just as you said he could have a long inning, he could just as easily throw only 60 pitches through 5 innings if he is on his game.

Sly said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

yankeesfan24

just a thought, but if they are doing innings, put him in the bullpen with 30 innings left, and then he can pitch up to 30 innings out of the pen. He still doesnt lose his touch, and he gets some experience under pressure, and he may even help them win a few games, plus you have a chance to see him EVERY game

Members online

Latest posts