Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Security shrugs as O's mope runs laps around Camden Yards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bonds73

Aug 7, 2008
I was on the exercise bike with the headphones on last night when this was going on and could tell that someone was running out on the field but had not seen it until now.

What the hell kind of a police response was that, and where the hell is Mike Curtis when you need him? The only possible explanation for the police response that I can come up with is that this is the new approach - to let them just run themselves out and then collect them, and if so that is a bunch of crap. Taze them and throw them in the slammer for a couple of months. I guess his daddy did not take him to the kids run the bases event about 10 years ago.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
During the Twins broadcast, they kept showing the player's reactions. At first, they were laughing along with the crowd, but as it dragged on, they started to get annoyed. Even the home plate ump came out and was telling them enough is enough. Worst security ever. Bunch of out of shape, lazy stadium security guys--some or all Baltimore cops?--looked really bad last night.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
These guys just need to get pummelled by someone. Hell, imagine someone doing this and running past a guy like Albert Belle...you think Belle would have just stood there and watched?

I am 100% for tazing these dumb-asses. If you're dumb enough to run out onto the field like that, you deserve to be tazed.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Folks, tazing is a last resort option in many engagement scenarios for law enforcement. The tazers that LEO's use today are not like your normal stun guns that became so popular in the late 80's and early 90's. They are much more accurate, delivering more of an electric shock and the leads actually penetrate the fabric or skin of the suspect. There has been much debate over whether they should still be used after documented deaths in recent years indicate that they can be extremely lethal.

While I agree that a tazing would have taken this kid down, and that it would have gotten a chuckle by some, I remember that he is still a kid and that would have sent shockwaves across the country had they engaged him with the weapons. Perhaps some OC spray should have been utilized when he was away from the players(so to protect them from getting exposed to the spray).

I think they did an ok job in letting the idiot run around and get his jollies so as long as he wasn't messing with players. Sometimes delayed action is the best reaction to diffuse a situation.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I am sure the cops were just happy the Orioles had a fan there...

This is total BULLSHAT... the damn cops probably loaded up on doughnuts and were out past curfew... I love cops but when their too lazy to catch a kid on a ballfield...

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
rico08 said:
fans never cheered so loud at camden

didn't they cheer louder when Wigginton went postal, sans gun?

:lol:

I'm surprised Wigginton didn't use a "one blind mouse" phrase in the postgame to try to hide criticism of a blown call without saying it directly.

A lot of blown calls in the majors that night.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Maybe the cops mistook his Promo T-Shirt for a player. Not so tough to do anymore in Baltimore.

I do think BCA was at the game, I hope he chimes in.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
The stadium security on the field at Camden Yards is all Baltimore Police. I think they did the right thing by not chasing him, because that's giving him what he wants, and makes the police "the bad guys who stopped some kid from having fun." Let him run around for 15 minutes and see if he feels like a *******. The last thing we need is another bad PR move by the police. Better to appear a little lazy than unnecessarily violent in front of 5,000 people.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Kid ran around and eventually gave up. Sorry, but that seems like a pretty solid response. The police used the least amount of force as necessary, which is generally a good thing.

99% of the population couldn't catch an 18 year old kid anyways. Those little buggers haven't polluted their system yet and can just run for days. Chasing him around probably wouldn't have accomplished anything. The kid avoided the players and just booted around and will suffer the consequences.

You realize it's a win/win when no one gets hurt, right?

Members online

Latest posts