Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Security shrugs as O's mope runs laps around Camden Yards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
TBTwinsFan said:
Us Twins fans had an angry fan who hopped on the metrodome floor and got INTO it... the rent-a-cops stood by while the BAT BOY (of all people) smeared his ass. Effing awesome

[youtube:3qxp7gnu]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iiusRfhMUo[/youtube:3qxp7gnu]

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
bongo870 said:
pigskincardboard said:
bongo870 said:
Thats nuts. Those cops are there to protect the players from crazy people. kids or not. Who knows if he had a wepon or knife. They tryed the "let them run it out" during that time at Comiskey Park when Tom Gamboa got his daylights beat out of him. And yes they even found a knife there too.
Sure this kid did seem harmless but these guys needed to grab him and finish the situation fast. Also it delayed the game long enough. I guess they felt sorry for the o's one and only fan LOL

If you're concerned about knives and guns, search the ticketholders prior to entry. You can't just assume that every person that trespasses is armed and intends on causing bodily harm. While some states encourage shooting anyone that comes on your property, using a taser or gun on someone that's running around is a bit of overkill.

If someone did have a knife or gun, they could cause bodily harm before the police even had a chance to react. This isn't "The Fan" and someone's not going to only try and stab Matt Wieters. They'll just stab the third baseman, or whoever's closest. In that situation, the cops probably wouldn't have a shot at stopping him anyways.

If you'd like to amend trespassing laws to allow for deadly force, regardless of the situation, go ahead and get on that. I just don't understand how getting tased could be a deterrent but criminal chargers not be.

Circle the kid and keep him away from the players. Quite frankly, I'm not sure why the players aren't told to return to their respective dugouts and bullpens. The fact that the players remain on the field in almost a casual way demonstrates just how serious a "threat" these people are. If the MLB was serious, they would've enacted a policy after the Royals incident.

Justifying extreme force when there isn't a policy in place or the players blatantly disrespect the policy is an absolute joke.

So yah, how about we just search people and evacuate players if we're that concerned about the players' safety. Let's not go using excessive force.

when and where did i say use extream force? i say grab the kid right away and take him down and get him off the field fast.
Read the backs of your ticketts. Dont they say you will be arrested fror tresspassing if you go onto the field?

I forgot that the backs tickets overrode the law of the land. Tasering is excessive force and should only be used when someone's life's in imminent danger. If the suspect has in no way shown aggression, I'm not sure how you justify tasing them.

If a bat boy broke my ribs during a tackle, I'd sue the **** out of the organization. A bat boy has absolutely no jurisdiction over the field, nor has he been trained, or is he or anyone else in imminent danger. When you decide to take the law into your own hands, you should be aware of the consequences.

As I've said, if the MLB were worried about this kind of thing they'd have a comprehensive policy.

Just because this happens on a baseball diamond doesn't mean all legal procedure is thrown out the window.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
dannyboy19 said:
Well, at least last night the Red Sox security guards outlasted Baltimores (despite the fact the Red Sox security guards were on guard during a soccer game at Fenway! :D )

[youtube:3mwt93gm]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XFTAG1m2sM&feature=player_embedded[/youtube:3mwt93gm]
:lol: That guy looked like he was almost too messed up to run.

I know at Coors Field you get a $1,500 trespassing ticket, and get released from the jail almost immediately.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
pigskincardboard said:
bongo870 said:
pigskincardboard said:
bongo870 said:
Thats nuts. Those cops are there to protect the players from crazy people. kids or not. Who knows if he had a wepon or knife. They tryed the "let them run it out" during that time at Comiskey Park when Tom Gamboa got his daylights beat out of him. And yes they even found a knife there too.
Sure this kid did seem harmless but these guys needed to grab him and finish the situation fast. Also it delayed the game long enough. I guess they felt sorry for the o's one and only fan LOL

If you're concerned about knives and guns, search the ticketholders prior to entry. You can't just assume that every person that trespasses is armed and intends on causing bodily harm. While some states encourage shooting anyone that comes on your property, using a taser or gun on someone that's running around is a bit of overkill.

If someone did have a knife or gun, they could cause bodily harm before the police even had a chance to react. This isn't "The Fan" and someone's not going to only try and stab Matt Wieters. They'll just stab the third baseman, or whoever's closest. In that situation, the cops probably wouldn't have a shot at stopping him anyways.

If you'd like to amend trespassing laws to allow for deadly force, regardless of the situation, go ahead and get on that. I just don't understand how getting tased could be a deterrent but criminal chargers not be.

Circle the kid and keep him away from the players. Quite frankly, I'm not sure why the players aren't told to return to their respective dugouts and bullpens. The fact that the players remain on the field in almost a casual way demonstrates just how serious a "threat" these people are. If the MLB was serious, they would've enacted a policy after the Royals incident.

Justifying extreme force when there isn't a policy in place or the players blatantly disrespect the policy is an absolute joke.

So yah, how about we just search people and evacuate players if we're that concerned about the players' safety. Let's not go using excessive force.

when and where did i say use extream force? i say grab the kid right away and take him down and get him off the field fast.
Read the backs of your ticketts. Dont they say you will be arrested fror tresspassing if you go onto the field?

I forgot that the backs tickets overrode the law of the land. Tasering is excessive force and should only be used when someone's life's in imminent danger. If the suspect has in no way shown aggression, I'm not sure how you justify tasing them.

If a bat boy broke my ribs during a tackle, I'd sue the shat out of the organization. A bat boy has absolutely no jurisdiction over the field, nor has he been trained, or is he or anyone else in imminent danger. When you decide to take the law into your own hands, you should be aware of the consequences.

As I've said, if the MLB were worried about this kind of thing they'd have a comprehensive policy.

Just because this happens on a baseball diamond doesn't mean all legal procedure is thrown out the window.
and again i ask you.. when and where did i say tasering the guy? you keep saying that and i say nothing about that. When you run onto the field you are breaking the law. The officers have every right to tackle you and arrest you for tresspassing. It is against the LAW to run out onto the field.
law of the land? what????????????????????

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
I guess the safest bet is just to have the MLB club offer counseling to these kids who run on the field. Heaven forbid they get any treatment that they wont like. Then if the counseling is not of their liking they will SUE the MLB. I love how some of you guys think. ::facepalm::

This one's for you ChompsMcGee. I agree to disagree and will move on. :D

Moonlight Graham

Aug 7, 2008
Renton, WA
blanning71 said:
Folks, tazing is a last resort option in many engagement scenarios for law enforcement. The tazers that LEO's use today are not like your normal stun guns that became so popular in the late 80's and early 90's. They are much more accurate, delivering more of an electric shock and the leads actually penetrate the fabric or skin of the suspect. There has been much debate over whether they should still be used after documented deaths in recent years indicate that they can be extremely lethal.

While I agree that a tazing would have taken this kid down, and that it would have gotten a chuckle by some, I remember that he is still a kid and that would have sent shockwaves across the country had they engaged him with the weapons. Perhaps some OC spray should have been utilized when he was away from the players(so to protect them from getting exposed to the spray).

I think they did an ok job in letting the idiot run around and get his jollies so as long as he wasn't messing with players. Sometimes delayed action is the best reaction to diffuse a situation.

That is one of the worst and stupidest statements I've ever read. You and your fellow apologists can take comfort in being the enablers for future idiots doing this. A hard takedown would have sent a better message.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
bongo870 said:
pigskincardboard said:
bongo870 said:
pigskincardboard said:
bongo870 said:

If a bat boy broke my ribs during a tackle, I'd sue the shat out of the organization. A bat boy has absolutely no jurisdiction over the field, nor has he been trained, or is he or anyone else in imminent danger. When you decide to take the law into your own hands, you should be aware of the consequences.

and again i ask you.. when and where did i say tasering the guy? you keep saying that and i say nothing about that. When you run onto the field you are breaking the law. The officers have every right to tackle you and arrest you for tresspassing. It is against the LAW to run out onto the field.

You probably didn't. I only quoted your post because it was the last in the line or it was the closest to what I was saying. Try not to get your ******* in a knot because I quoted your post out of the 20 or so people that are dumb enough to say "SHOCK HIM, SHOCK HIM, SHOCK HIM." I think you were the person that shrieked, "GUN! KNIFE! OMFG!" which would explain why your's was quoted.

If you believe that a person should be only tackled, I'm A-OK with that. They are trespassing and should be dealt with accordingly.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
pigskincardboard said:
bongo870 said:
pigskincardboard said:
bongo870 said:
pigskincardboard said:
[quote="bongo870":3o0lnjbg]Thats nuts. Those cops are there to protect the players from crazy people. kids or not. Who knows if he had a wepon or knife. They tryed the "let them run it out" during that time at Comiskey Park when Tom Gamboa got his daylights beat out of him. And yes they even found a knife there too.

You probably didn't. I only quoted your post because it was the last in the line or it was the closest to what I was saying. Try not to get your ******* in a knot because I quoted your post out of the 20 or so people that are dumb enough to say "SHOCK HIM, SHOCK HIM, SHOCK HIM." I think you were the person that shrieked, "GUN! KNIFE! OMFG!" which would explain why your's was quoted.

If you believe that a person should be only tackled, I'm A-OK with that. They are trespassing and should be dealt with accordingly.[/quote:3o0lnjbg]
I guess you forgot about that tennis player that got stabbed because a crazy person ran out on the tennis courts? Or about the first base coach that got beat up and they had a knife on them. You never know these days what these people want to do. They can be drunk and out of control.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Moonlight Graham said:
blanning71 said:
Folks, tazing is a last resort option in many engagement scenarios for law enforcement. The tazers that LEO's use today are not like your normal stun guns that became so popular in the late 80's and early 90's. They are much more accurate, delivering more of an electric shock and the leads actually penetrate the fabric or skin of the suspect. There has been much debate over whether they should still be used after documented deaths in recent years indicate that they can be extremely lethal.

While I agree that a tazing would have taken this kid down, and that it would have gotten a chuckle by some, I remember that he is still a kid and that would have sent shockwaves across the country had they engaged him with the weapons. Perhaps some OC spray should have been utilized when he was away from the players(so to protect them from getting exposed to the spray).

I think they did an ok job in letting the idiot run around and get his jollies so as long as he wasn't messing with players. Sometimes delayed action is the best reaction to diffuse a situation.

That is one of the worst and stupidest statements I've ever read. You and your fellow apologists can take comfort in being the enablers for future idiots doing this. A hard takedown would have sent a better message.

Yes, because enforcing the law is about sending a message not law and order. Here's the thing about apologists: they know more than you, so stop calling their posts stupid. A hard takedown is justifiable if it was the least amount of force required to halt the situation. A hard take down to send a message is, how do you say, illegal.

I'm not arguing against hard takedowns but they shouldn't be used to send a message. It's always preferable to diffuse a situation without the use of any force and cops shouldn't be called ******* or fat-asses if they succeeded in apprehending the perp without using force. Quite frankly, they should be commended.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
There is NOTHING on the back of the ticket about trespassing, at least Dodger tickets. A self-respecting fan with any brain will not interrupt the game. Then again, isn't there a professional streaker?

At Dodger Stadium, all entrants are asked to empty their pockets and open their bags to be searched. I've seen a guy take out a switchblade and act surprised when he couldn't bring it in. Here's the back of the ticket, besides a lengthy "any account description, picture, video, audio...copyrights" etc.

WARNING - ASSUMPTION OF RISK
By using this ticket and entering Dodger Stadium, the holder assumes all risk and danger incidental to the game of Baseball, whether such risks occur prior to, during, or subsequent to the game, including specifically (but not exclusively) the danger of being injured by thrown bats and thrown or batted balls. The holder...agrees that the Dodgers...the participating Clubs and their agents and players are not liable for any injuries from such causes.

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
I think the security guards did the right thing.
It became pretty obvious (to some of us anyways) after the first few seconds that the kid wasn't trying to do anything other than want to be chased.
Don't give him what he wants.
As with most of these punks they're doing it for one reason, attention.
With that said which youtube video would garner the most attention, one where security chases the punk all over the field, or this one.
Let him make an ssa out of himself running from no one and then fine the crapola out of him once he gets bored/tired.
Eventually punks will realize how lame they look and stop doing it.
David

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
bongo870 said:
pigskincardboard said:
bongo870 said:
pigskincardboard said:
bongo870 said:
[quote="pigskincardboard":3o84723i][quote="bongo870":3o84723i]Thats nuts. Those cops are there to protect the players from crazy people. kids or not. Who knows if he had a wepon or knife. They tryed the "let them run it out" during that time at Comiskey Park when Tom Gamboa got his daylights beat out of him. And yes they even found a knife there too.

If you believe that a person should be only tackled, I'm A-OK with that. They are trespassing and should be dealt with accordingly.[/quote:3o84723i]
I guess you forgot about that tennis player that got stabbed because a crazy person ran out on the tennis courts? Or about the first base coach that got beat up and they had a knife on them. You never know these days what these people want to do. They can be drunk and out of control.[/quote:3o84723i]

Both of these events occurred before security had a chance to react (if I recall correctly,) not because they reacted improperly. The answer to that is clearly more security not more aggressive security. Is there any logical reason why fans are even able to access the field with such ease? Do we really think that aggressive security would act as a deterrent for someone set on stabbing a player? I am not scared of going to prison for 10 years but I'm terrified of being shocked with a stun-gun. Furthermore, many of the people that do stupid stuff like this are mentally incompetent or impaired; deterrents do very little for these people. Many things can and should be done before we start tasing people for simply trespassing. Unfortunately, the MLB and team owners want know part of this for various reasons.

If you're concerned about player safety; enact rules to protect their safety. If you feel like a message should be sent to deter recurrences; well, you just haven't thought it through.

brumbach

I'm all for the tazing, or mase, or Terrible Terry Tate, or TTT
masing and tazing dopes like this. Every ball park should have a Terry
Tate...
[youtube:3okper21]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQB9XcoD10Y[/youtube:3okper21]

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious (and most entertaining) solution: each team should employ a full time calf roper.

Some kid gets on to the field, and out comes a cowboy on a horse. Chase the kid down, lasso him, and tie him hand and feet like a calf.

I'd pay to see that.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Freedom ain't free brotha.

pigskincardboard said:
Moonlight Graham said:
blanning71 said:

Yes, because enforcing the law is about sending a message not law and order. Here's the thing about apologists: they know more than you, so stop calling their posts stupid. A hard takedown is justifiable if it was the least amount of force required to halt the situation. A hard take down to send a message is, how do you say, illegal.

I'm not arguing against hard takedowns but they shouldn't be used to send a message. It's always preferable to diffuse a situation without the use of any force and cops shouldn't be called ******* or fat-asses if they succeeded in apprehending the perp without using force. Quite frankly, they should be commended.

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
What the kid did obviously was wrong. I don't think anyone here is disputing that. And if he did get tazed or tackled, I would have been fine with it.

However, I believe the police acted right. No need for force in this situation, and tazing the kid might have felt good, but there would have been trouble if he had been hurt. Not saying it would have been right for them to get in trouble, but it was a possibility. I'd rather see the police use discretion and let a seemingly harmless kid run than taze him and get Baltimore sued for excessive force or incur disability costs because a cop got hurt tackling the kid. All sorts of unintended costs could arise out of that momentary satisfaction of tazing or laying out the kid.

Perhaps there was a deterrence opportunity, but perhaps not. A lot of the people who do this sort of thing are (a) drunk or (b) irrational/immature. I don't think many of those people are doing a cost benefit analysis when they decide to commit the crime.

As for the 'dangerous fan' situation, that argument doesn't really fly. By the time the cops are reacting to situation like this, any armed fan would already have had opportunity to harm a player. When that umpire got jumped and that tennis player got stabbed, it wasn't because cops let them run free... it was because fans are able to run onto the field/court. If you want to prevent those kinds of incidents, you have to block fan access to the field with a net or something.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Of course freedom isn't free, but the best you can do to honor the men and women that've waged war on the battlefields and in the courtrooms is hold onto every last freedom with a death-grip that could kill a ******.

I'm hear ****-Germany (any nationalism-drive dictatorship will work) is looking for solid upstanding young men that are willing to sacrifice personal rights and freedoms for the greater good as we speak. You should probably look into that.

Members online

Latest posts