Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do you think of this idea?

Slabbing simply for protection?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
How would you like to send in your cards to simply be slabbed? Not authenticated, not graded, but just slabbed for protection. I was thinking that there may be some demand for this. I know if I could simply send in cards to slab, at a discount, I would be more appt to. It could simply say "BGS Protected" or "PSA Protection" at the top. No refrence number or validation eithor way.

I dont know, what do you think?

Pete14Rose

Aug 13, 2008
Virginia
I votde yes. I really don't card about grading. But simply to keep the card safe? Always a good idea. But not always needed. I'm ok with a penny sleeve, top loader & a team bag ;)

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I think that would be good for BGS OR PSA to do at a card show or event, but I am not sure how many people would send their cards in for this service.

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Oh, and I voted yes. I would like to send some to Beckett to get slabbed for protection. However, the blue flip they use for the "Authentic" holders is ugly.

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
If the price was reasonable, I might do it for something like my in-progress signature patch set or other smaller sets I've completed. I've got that classic collector OCD about having set cards in exactly the same kind of holders and this would be a nice secure way to accomplish that. The downside would be that they'd take up a lot more space and wouldn't fit into standard shoeboxes.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
IndyMann said:
Oh, and I voted yes. I would like to send some to Beckett to get slabbed for protection. However, the blue flip they use for the "Authentic" holders is ugly.

I like the blue:
HRBSOTFR.jpg
HRT205B.jpg

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
What the hell, how did 3 threads get posted??

Bah, this work pc is junk... :/

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
What gave me this idea was my Gooden RC auto. I would like to have it slabbed, but do not need or want grading and authentication. Nor do I want to pay for said offerings. If I could simply send in this and a few other cards, at lets say $3 per card, for slabbing, I would!

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Absolutely yes - definitely slab a card for protection. But I would only do it for cards that mean something to YOU.

I know there's an option to simply authenticate a card, but is there an option to simply encapsulate a card? I ask because I would expect it to cost a lot less to simply encapsulate.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
Absolutely yes - definitely slab a card for protection. But I would only do it for cards that mean something to YOU.

I know there's an option to simply authenticate a card, but is there an option to simply encapsulate a card? I ask because I would expect it to cost a lot less to simply encapsulate.

This is my point exactly!

There are a lot of people who have cards, that do not require authentication or grading but would love a slab for the right price. IP / TTM auto's, customs, set runs, ect.. I could see a lot of demand here for the right price, and I'm not aware of anyone who does just slabbing.

Hey RAZOR, how bout' the "All New RAZOR SLAB"?? Stylish, sleek and built to protect, RAZOR tough!

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Doesnt BGS already offer this service??? I was pretty sure you could submit your cards and they would slab them for you without having them Graded or anything.......

Not sure how much that costs to do, but I was sure I have seen it somewhere......if I could navigate the Beckett site I am sure I could find out, but I have given up on it after months of trying..

TK

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
pujolsthomefan33 said:
Doesnt BGS already offer this service??? I was pretty sure you could submit your cards and they would slab them for you without having them Graded or anything.......

Not sure how much that costs to do, but I was sure I have seen it somewhere......if I could navigate the Beckett site I am sure I could find out, but I have given up on it after months of trying..

TK

I know they do simple authentications, but I am talking about slabbing, period. Not sure if BGS does this or not though...?

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
matfanofold said:
pujolsthomefan33 said:

TK

I know they do simple authentications, but I am talking about slabbing, period. Not sure if BGS does this or not though...?

Yeah I know, that is what I meant...I might be wrong, just going off of memory and I thought I saw that they were doing that. Especially when they started the recasing process and thicker cards....I thought that was about the timeline when they started the just slabbing.......

Like I said, I could be wrong, it was a long time ago..

TK

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
pujolsthomefan33 said:
matfanofold said:
pujolsthomefan33 said:

TK

Yeah I know, that is what I meant...I might be wrong, just going off of memory and I thought I saw that they were doing that. Especially when they started the recasing process and thicker cards....I thought that was about the timeline when they started the just slabbing.......

Like I said, I could be wrong, it was a long time ago..

TK

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I think it would be cool if BGS was allready doing what I found to be a good(and at one point original) idea! Also, I'd love to get the pricing!

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
I couldnt find anything on PSA or BGS websites. Maybe you should email your idea to them because that would be a great little idea. My guess is it would cost like $5 per card, because that is what it costs to RECASE the cards...

TK

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
I have done it. I got one of my Bo Schembechler and Gerald Ford TTM autos authenticated and slabbed by BGS/JSA. I felt that it was worth it to hold value (if I ever needed to sell) and preserve them since they cannot be replaced anymore.

Members online

Latest posts