Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Call me crazy...just bought a Strasburg MCG auto...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
Just won an auction for 2010 Topps Baseball Stephen Strasburg #661 Auto /299 (seller has in hand).

$390! (Considering the autograph goes for $350, I'm getting the card for $40!!!)

Sure...I know Strasburg will be out of the limelight for the next 2 seasons, but I'm still a fan and a believer that he will come back better than ever. To all you naysayers...please save your prophecies about how he will be a bust and how his throwing mechanics will spell doom for his career. We'll just have to wait and see. As far as I'm concern, I've just added a nice card to my pc.

Booyah!

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
blazers091 said:
they'll be cheaper in a few months ::facepalm:: . No reason to buy now

That's already cheaper than they were going for earlier. They were in the $700+ range before.

Also, I like how people like to rain on the Strasburg parade. Seriously, what do you have to gain by saying something like that? Speculation is meaningless. And if it happens, it happens. At least I didn't pay $700 for it!

The way I see it...let's say I just happened to pull a Strasburg via MCG. And I had the option to get the auto...I'd do it for $350. I know that price is insane, but I'm thinking from a collector standpoint...how many boxes will I have to open to even have the remote chance to pull a Strasburg auto? Could be 1 box...could be 3 cases. I would easily spend over $390 and most likely never get this card that I WANT for my collection. I have no plans of selling it.

So $390 for a card I want to keep? Without having to go nuts trying to get it through MCG. I'll take that any day.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
sportscardfanatic said:
blazers091 said:

Also, I like how people like to rain on the Strasburg parade. Seriously, what do you have to gain by saying something like that? Speculation is meaningless. And if it happens, it happens. At least I didn't pay $700 for it!

You're the one that said to call you crazy.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
sportscardfanatic said:
blazers091 said:

That's already cheaper than they were going for earlier. They were in the $700+ range before.

The way I see it...let's say I just happened to pull a Strasburg via MCG. And I had the option to get the auto...I'd do it for $350. I know that price is insane, but I'm thinking from a collector standpoint...how many boxes will I have to open to even have the remote chance to pull a Strasburg auto? Could be 1 box...could be 3 cases. I would easily spend over $390 and most likely never get this card that I WANT for my collection. I have no plans of selling it.

So $390 for a card I want to keep? Without having to go nuts trying to get it through MCG. I'll take that any day.

Let the haters hate. Everyone wants to use the "I told you so" about Stras getting hurt. Take a given player, anyone, and when they burst onto the hobby scene like Strasburg, with hype that is unheralded in the last 10+ years, people are going to just have it out for that guy. It's amazing to me how many people are "raining on the Strasburg parade" as you put it.

Congrats on a nice pickup, at a very reasonable price. Who knows, the card could go up in the next couple months, there is no way of knowing. This is a very limited print run, so to say it will go down is some heavy speculation/opinion.

blazers091

Dec 7, 2008
hail2thevictors said:
sportscardfanatic said:
blazers091 said:

Let the haters hate. Everyone wants to use the "I told you so" about Stras getting hurt. Take a given player, anyone, and when they burst onto the hobby scene like Strasburg, with hype that is unheralded in the last 10+ years, people are going to just have it out for that guy. It's amazing to me how many people are "raining on the Strasburg parade" as you put it.

Congrats on a nice pickup, at a very reasonable price. Who knows, the card could go up in the next couple months, there is no way of knowing. This is a very limited print run, so to say it will go down is some heavy speculation/opinion.

why would it go up?

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
schmidtfan20 said:
Are people actually still spending money on high end Strasburg. OMG.

Are you still posting about Strasburg? OMG.

Seriously, I am not on this site that much, and I'm completely sick of your Strasburg posts. Enough already, why don't you go back to posting about Domonic Brown....oh, that's right-he's batting .224 with a .226 OBP. LOL.

Sorry to the OP, but I had to do it.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
it wouldn't go up, topps is hard up to sell the rest of these, you can get it all day on the topps
site seeing that you have the card in your portfolio and that isn't going to be to hard to do
now. If you had come on here and said you were a Nats fan or a Stras fan then we would of
been praising you on your pickup, but if you actually think you are going to flip that in a few
months and make money then.......you ARE crazy.

Kevin

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
blazers091 said:
hail2thevictors said:
sportscardfanatic said:
blazers091 said:

why would it go up?

Very limited print run, and at some point the big spending prospectors are going to jump back in to the Stras stuff.

I said it *could* go up in the next couple months-that obviously isn't likely, but my point is you don't know at what point the low for this card will be. This price he got it at could end up being as low as it gets.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
schmidtfan20 said:
it wouldn't go up, topps is hard up to sell the rest of these, you can get it all day on the topps
site seeing that you have the card in your portfolio and that isn't going to be to hard to do
now. If you had come on here and said you were a Nats fan or a Stras fan then we would of
been praising you on your pickup, but if you actually think you are going to flip that in a few
months and make money then.......you ARE crazy.

Kevin

LOL, he said it is for his COLLECTION. So the same as being a Stras or Nats fan. He never once mentioned trying to flip it, from what it sounds like he is just happy to get it at a good price(compared to the $700 or whatever it has gone for).

And I didn't say it WOULD go up, again, I said it COULD. And yes, it could. I wouldn't put money on the selling price increasing, but it's possible with this card. Possible, not probable, OK?

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
hail2thevictors said:
schmidtfan20 said:
Are people actually still spending money on high end Strasburg. OMG.

Are you still posting about Strasburg? OMG.

Seriously, I am not on this site that much, and I'm completely sick of your Strasburg posts. Enough already, why don't you go back to posting about Domonic Brown....oh, that's right-he's batting .224 with a .226 OBP. LOL.

Sorry to the OP, but I had to do it.

he cant really post much about the great ryan howard either...i mean unless he wanted to boast about howards latest accomplishments

1000 strikeouts...one of the quickest players to ever reach that milestone
hitting 108 with 18 k's in his last 8 games

by the way if i were to get a strasburg that is the one card i would want, nice card!

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Lets take the exact opposite parallel for harmless kicks & giggles, and write what you wrote with the exact opposite spin:
"Let the lovers love. Everyone wants to say "I told you so" about Stras being amazing. Take a given player, anyone, and when they burst onto the hobby scene like Strasburg, with that hype is unheralded in the last 10+ years, people are going to just want that guy to do awesome. It's amazing to me how many people are "jumping on the Strasbug bandwagon" as you put it."

Either approach to Stras is a reasonable one to take, neither one is a negative one in that each scenario is just as likely to happen. People speculate players aren't going to do well all the time just like people speculate players are going to tear it up.

hail2thevictors said:

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
so you are going to base Ryan Howard's career on what he has done since getting off the DL?
Need I remind you that Pujols was chasing Howard in RBI's (and it wasn't even close) before
Ryan got hurt?

How come pujols is always chasing Howard in either RBI's or HR's every year if the
guy sucks?

Think about it and get back to me.

Kevin

Latest posts