Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Burbank... How did they get their cards????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Did they buy A COLLECTION? or did they buy MANY COLLECTIONS?

I just don't get it. How can they have SO MANY cards of all of the players of all of the sets? When I go through the Gwynn cards, it's just amazing. AND THAT'S JUST GWYNN!!

What's the story? I totally am not negative towards them or their prices! I respect that they have cards people want and charge whatever they want. (I am hoping they come down on a few of them, though!!)

I just want to know how they got all of those cards? Even if they bought 10 collections, I can't imagine getting all of those cards.
Does the George_Calfras collection look like theirs? Bunch-o-Bull, is his collection like that?

I just want to know how they do (did) it! Is this "guy in Hawaii" rumor true?

(sorry if this has been brought up before...I search "Burbank" and get mountains of threads, so I thought I'd ask again! I really am curious!!)

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
they just listed a whole crapload of Butler stuff in the past couple of days. Given their prices, I'm thankful they're not holding anything I need hostage, although part of me would really love to find one or two of the remaining cards I've been looking for.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
Guys like Henderson, Butler, & Gwynn do not get the respect of younger collectors. A kid that pulled a rare card of one of those guys would be pissed and would probably be happy to get anything in return for it. Also, a lot of people don't even realize that there are tons of player collectors out there that would buy up these tough cards. That is probably how they get most of their cards.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
A portion of the cards they are "relisting" came from a HUGE collection in Hawai'i. They paid 900K upfront, the estimate value of the collection was 15-25 Million. My best guess is that they have already broken even.

A_Pharis

George_Calfas said:
A portion of the cards they are "relisting" came from a HUGE collection in Hawai'i. They paid 900K upfront, the estimate value of the collection was 15-25 Million. My best guess is that they have already broken even.

They need to relist the recollection autos damnit. lol

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
A_Pharis said:
[quote="George_Calfas":d18zn269]A portion of the cards they are "relisting" came from a HUGE collection in Hawai'i. They paid 900K upfront, the estimate value of the collection was 15-25 Million. My best guess is that they have already broken even.

They need to relist the recollection autos damnit. lol[/quote:d18zn269]

They are coming back on soon.

A_Pharis

George_Calfas said:
[quote="A_Pharis":qubk72yt][quote="George_Calfas":qubk72yt]A portion of the cards they are "relisting" came from a HUGE collection in Hawai'i. They paid 900K upfront, the estimate value of the collection was 15-25 Million. My best guess is that they have already broken even.

They need to relist the recollection autos damnit. lol[/quote:qubk72yt]

They are coming back on soon.[/quote:qubk72yt]

Hopefully at a lower price. Realistically, I could see half of what they were listed at as "obtainable".

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
A_Pharis said:
[quote="George_Calfas":1gvpchgr][quote="A_Pharis":1gvpchgr][quote="George_Calfas":1gvpchgr]A portion of the cards they are "relisting" came from a HUGE collection in Hawai'i. They paid 900K upfront, the estimate value of the collection was 15-25 Million. My best guess is that they have already broken even.

They need to relist the recollection autos damnit. lol[/quote:1gvpchgr]

They are coming back on soon.[/quote:1gvpchgr]

Hopefully at a lower price. Realistically, I could see half of what they were listed at as "obtainable".[/quote:1gvpchgr]

I have seen some stuff at lower prices, several of the cards I am after returned at the same BIN.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
George_Calfas said:

I guess that's the "rumor" I was referring to. I just don't get how one collection could have had so many cards!! George- Did you know about this collection before Burbank bought it? A collection like that should have been pretty well known in the collecting circles...

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
At one point I heard they hadn't processed everything in the collection they purchased. I think they suggested it'd take a couple years to process and list everything they had. Does anyone know if that's true, or simply marketing to encourage people to keep checking in for the latest? I'm holding out hope they have a few diamonds I need and will eventually list them.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
gwynn5453l4u said:
George_Calfas said:

I guess that's the "rumor" I was referring to. I just don't get how one collection could have had so many cards!! George- Did you know about this collection before Burbank bought it? A collection like that should have been pretty well known in the collecting circles...

Yes, I knew the owner of the cards and had seen many of them first hand. The family passed on a 1.5 million purchase, a large east coast buyer offer 15 100K payments and they passed for the 900K upfront.

They seem to always be able to purchase nice collections, just not the same size/value of the Hawai'i purchase.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
The guy from Hawaii has to be the guy (Larry?) that used to send buyers to shows with checklists and cash. I remember my buddy coming back from the Nationals while I was managing his shop and telling me he sold the 500 HR Club bat auto cards of Mays, Williams, and Aaron. He also bought all of our EX Essential Credentials.

I take it, he passed away?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Yes I understand he passed.

Adamsince1981 said:
The guy from Hawaii has to be the guy (Larry?) that used to send buyers to shows with
checklists and cash. I remember my buddy coming back from the Nationals while I was managing his shop and telling me he sold the 500 HR Club bat auto cards of Mays, Williams, and Aaron. He also bought all of our EX Essential Credentials.

I take it, he passed away?

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Ok...I think I am getting it. So this guy basically was putting together complete sets of everything!?! I mean every set? THat would make sense, then, on how there is so much. I mean, I typed in "RAVE" under the Burbank store and came up with 1,171 cards. I typed in "SUPER RAVE" and came up with 118! THat's just amazing.

So this guy bought pretty much every insert card he saw for about 10 years (1995-2005). Three sports. I would bet he bought quite a few complete sets, too. I would gather that George sold him a few sets...am I right? :shock:

It was kind of fun to go through the first five pages or so (sorted highest to lowest). Amazing...then I got...I don't know. I just had to stop. Too much good stuff~! Just mind-blowing. He sounds like the Wossa of the 90's and early 00's!

Thanks for the info. I can rest now!

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
Yep, they claim to still have millions of cards to go through, and no idea what they have until they physically open the boxes they purchased. Can you imagine having millions of cards to go through? MILLIONS?

I guess my breath-holding will continue...

G

Nothing but bad experiences with Burbank here. Won't budge on any of their prices, and won't scan cards for me that I'm interested in even at their outlandish prices.

Members online

Latest posts