Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bgs to psa crossover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
How does the process work for converting a bgs to a psa. I have a bgs 9.5 that I would like to convert over to a Psa 10. Will psa crack it and then grade it or do they grade it and then crack it. I don't want psa to crack the 9.5 if it won't crossover to a psa 10.

Does anyone know how this works?

serving4theking

Aug 10, 2008
I had PSA look at 3 BGS 9.5 cards at a show, and they didn't crack them. They determined the PSA grade while it was still in the BGS case, and I had marked a preference to let them know not to crack and reslab it unless it graded PSA 10. Now, here's the catch. They determined it wouldn't grade PSA 10, but they give no reason why, or any information on what they would have graded it. So after I paid $200 or something, all I was left with was the information that they wouldn't cross to a PSA 10.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Yeah you submit the BGS card(s) and note on the submission form your minimum PSA grade requirement. They grade it in the case, and if the grade they assign to it meets your requirement they crack it out and put it in the PSA holder. If it does not meet your requirement then they leave it alone in the BGS holder and return it. But you are still out the grading fee.

This is generally a bad investment- I have tried to cross over maybe 9-10 cards from BGS to PSA. They were all BGS 9.5s. I think maybe 3 of the 8 crossed over to PSA 10. One was marked as "evidence of trimming- on a card with all BGS 9.5 subgrades- and the others did not get awarded a PSA 10 and thus are still in the BGS holders. When they don't cross it over all it will say is something like: "does not meet minimum grade requirement."

In general, it's tough sledding.

What kind of card is it and what are the subgrades?

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
What sucks is that you, the customer, get stuck with the egos and work ethics of the card companies. Often, it seems, they don't want to cross over another company's grades because they want their grades to appear stricter, as a penalty for using a different grader, or because of the extra work involved in breaking the cards out of the case. PSA is the worst about this sort of stuff.

gregbara

Aug 10, 2008
This unfortunately goes both ways as I tried to cross over a few PSA10's. They always come back BGS9's.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
Thanks, thanks all around.

I think I'll give it a shot. It's a 1986 topps football hof rookie which are almost impossible to find gem'd. It's all 9.5 subs exept for 9.0 edges so I am confident it's not trimmed. It would sell for 2-3x more as a psa 10 than a bgs 9.5. I got the card for a couple hundred less than I could sell it for in Bgs form but I'll try to go for the big bucks. Either way I'll get a good profit for it.

Any other thoughts?

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Sweetness said:

I think I'll give it a shot. It's a 1986 topps football hof rookie which are almost impossible to find gem'd. It's all 9.5 subs exept for 9.0 edges so I am confident it's not trimmed. It would sell for 2-3x more as a psa 10 than a bgs 9.5. I got the card for a couple hundred less than I could sell it for in Bgs form but I'll try to go for the big bucks. Either way I'll get a good profit for it.

Any other thoughts?

It might be cut from a sheet (i.e. never inserted into packs), and BGS is much more likely to slab a sheet cut card than PSA.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Sweetness said:

Any other thoughts?

I'll assume it's Jerry Rice. I'd say you have just shy of a 0% chance of PSA crossing it over for you.

1995BBRefractorGuy

Dec 20, 2008
PSA is very hard to cross slabbed BGS cards to high grade PSA, they are just extra picky. Those of us that sub enough know the success rate is multiplied greatly when you "crack and sub".

BGS is also picky when looking at PSA slabs (think about it, there has to be a inherent prejudice) but in my experience not as blatantly 'anti cross', and BGS DOES show you why it doesn't cross.

For modern stuff (late 80's +), I've done very well cracking BGS slabs, subbing to PSA, and getting back Gems. I'm talking BGS 8.5's to PSA 10's.

Latest posts