Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1993 Jeter SP Rookie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeterfan

Nov 19, 2010
Need everyone opinions.

I have a 93 Jeter sp rookie bgs 9.5 with all 9.5 subs.

1. Do you think this will crossover to a PSA 10? All subs are gem mint so I would think I have a good shot. Seems most of the bgs 9.5s have a 9 sub.
2. How rare is a 93 jeter sp bgs 9.5 with all subs at least 9.5? Even more rare than a PSA 10??
3. How much is the 93 jeter sp worth as a bgs 9.5 with these subs vs. a PSA 10.
4. One thing that scares me with buying a PSA 10 Jeter 93 sp is how easy it is to crack a holder & switch cards.

I appreciate all comments & opinions. Thanks.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Jeterfan said:
Need everyone opinions.

I have a 93 Jeter sp rookie bgs 9.5 with all 9.5 subs.

1. Do you think this will crossover to a PSA 10? All subs are gem mint so I would think I have a good shot. Seems most of the bgs 9.5s have a 9 sub.
2. How rare is a 93 jeter sp bgs 9.5 with all subs at least 9.5? Even more rare than a PSA 10??
3. How much is the 93 jeter sp worth as a bgs 9.5 with these subs vs. a PSA 10.
4. One thing that scares me with buying a PSA 10 Jeter 93 sp is how easy it is to crack a holder & switch cards.

I appreciate all comments & opinions. Thanks.

I would be VERY worried that it is trimmed. All companies grade trimmed cards from time to time, but there is no way that card should ever leave its holder unless PSA or SGC has already agreed to slab it as a Gem Mint card.

Just my opinion.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Dude, you can't crack a PSA slab without it showing noticeable signs of tampering like cloudiness around the seal. It isn't possible

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
PSA can grade it without cracking, have them review it with instructions not to crack if not a 10. A PSA 10 probably could command more on that card.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
Being a "Jeter Fan" as your name implies, I don't understand why you would even consider taking it out of the best looking and most durable holder to switch it to a thinner less aesthetically appealing holder of the same grade. Both are Gem Mint. If a PSA 10 was Pristine, that would be a different story.

Basically, what I am saying is if it is PC, leave it the way it is.

piggy1918

Jul 31, 2009
I've seen a fair share of BGS 9.5;s come back as PSA 9's. Part of it comes from the fact that both companies want to appear stighter and will sometimes grade a previously graded card a bit tougher. IMO of course. And honestly, a BGS 9.5 with ALL 9.5 subs will command huge money, I don't know if a PSA 10 would beat it. And as the previous poster said... the BGS holder is about 10x more attractive, durable, and all around the better choice ESPECIALLY for PC.

benmoss84

Oct 30, 2010
In my humble opinion BGS is one huge step above PSA for modern cards like your Jeter. To have a BGS 9.5 with all 9.5 subs and a beautiful Gold label (not to mention a sturdy case) is about as "top of the line" as you can get unless you can afford "Pristine"!!! Leave it alone bro~

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
beefycheddar said:
PSA can grade it without cracking, have them review it with instructions not to crack if not a 10. A PSA 10 probably could command more on that card.

+1

A 2001 Pujols Chrome auto will outsell in psa 10 over bgs 9.5 by wide margin.
The collectors with the deepest pockets want PSA, not BGS, not to mention the registry.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
PSA is a joke for modern day cards, keep it in a BGS holder.

I've seen so many flaws in psa 10 cards, it's ridiculous.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I wouldn't touch PSA for a card that new... you are giving up eye appeal/durability for a SHOT at a higher grade. If it comes back a PSA 9, you are out the money to have it re-slabbed, the durability and look of a BGS case.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
afrobandit said:
For modern cards, BGS is almost always worth more.

PSA 10's often cross over into BGS 9's. That mean's beckett grades more strictly.

I could not agree less.

You can submit it to PSA with a minimum grade requirement of a PSA 10. That way they review it in the holder and if it does not merit a PSA 10 grade in their opinion they leave it as is and you are only out the grading fees. I tried this with a BGS 9.5 (all 9.5 subs) 1993 SP Manny Ramirez- and it came back with an "evidence of trimming" comment from PSA. So it is still in teh BGS holder for now. Gem mint Manny's are even rarer than Jeters in terms of total graded gem by PSA and BGS, though they both have a very low % of gem grades by submission totals . Less than 1% last I knew...

As far as Manny sales on that card have gone all BGS 9.5 subs really do command a premium.

And as far as other collectors passing judgement on what holder you should find more aesthetically pleasing for your own collection, or what holder you should want it in outside of a value discussion ...I never got that. Get it in whatever holder you want.

Good luck.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
As much as I prefer PSA over BGS, do NOT crack that open.

As others have suggested, you can send it to PSA in the BGS holder with a MINIMUM PSA 10 instructions.

Jeterfan

Nov 19, 2010
hanks for the opinions. It seems to me that the PSA 10 has so much value based on the fact there are only 9 PSA 10s out of over 9k submissions. However, although there are over 80 BGS 9.5s out of over 8k submissions most bgs 9.5s have a 9 sub. It seems like there may be only a handful of BGS 9.5s with all subs being 9.5 or higher. In fact, there may be less of these than the 9 PSA 10s. Now besides the registry angle, if BGS is a nicer holder, shouldn't a BGS 9.5 with all 9.5 subs be worth as much or more than a PSA 10 especially if there are less BGS 9.5s with ALL 9.5 subs than there are PSA 10s? To the poster who said a PSA 10 2001 bowman chrome pujols is worth much more than a bgs 9.5, i'm not sure that would be true if you had a 01 bowman chrome pujols bgs 9.5 with 2 10 subs and 2 9.5 subs and a 10 auto. I know there is at least one PSA 10 bowman chrome pujols rc with does not have a 10 auto and that is why they wisely chose to go PSA vs. BGS.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I just cracked a psa 9 sp Arod out and bgs denied it because of trimming. this was an old psa case. The good dudes at beckett starting with Joe showed me where it was trimmed. For what I see it happens all the time with PSA. I will NEVER bust a PSA case again. I do believe that a psa 10 will outsell the bgs 9.5 in this case by a wide margin. BGS has been grading the **** outta these jeter SP's I bet you a old bgs label 9.5 will sell the same as a psa 10.

benmoss84

Oct 30, 2010
I've seen a few of you guys using PSA registry as a reason they sell for more... Well just to let you guys know Beckett has registries on their website as well and it's free!! You don't have to be a paying member like PSA requires! Plus the registries on beckett's site look nicer in my opinion...

Members online

Latest posts