Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1939 Hall of Fame cover signed by all 11 living members

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
1939 Hall of Fame cover signed by all 11 of the living Hall of Famers at the time

Hi all, just wanted to show a piece Ive been asked to find info on as the seller is now looking to sell it soon.

It is from a private collection, and has an older 17 year old COA and Ive already recommended getting a new one.

Just floating this out there for you guys, dont really know all who views this board, but there may be someone interested in this type of high end item and Im always interested in feedback too.

BTW, It looks to be authentic.... Ive seen a few of these but this is the nicest one with nice spacing between signatures and the frame adds to the eye appeal

1939covercloseup.jpg

1939coverframed.jpg

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Crazy clean signatures.

Personally, I can't stand the pinstripes with the frame and really the framed format takes the focus away from the signed cover.

Aesthetics aside...sick, sick piece.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
200lbhockeyplayer
Yes :) it was framed pre1993 as far as I know....

Styles probably have changed a bit............ I believe youre the one making some of those cool newer custom pieces.

I really only looked at the quality of the frame and never really looked at the design, I agree somewhat with the stripes now.

thanks for feedback

sdsportsfan1214

Aug 14, 2008
San Diego
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Crazy clean signatures.

Personally, I can't stand the pinstripes with the frame and really the framed format takes the focus away from the signed cover.

Aesthetics aside...sick, sick piece.

+1 the pinstripes kill the eye appeal but wow what an amazing piece of history right there!

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Wow.. that is an amazing item.. and yes the stripes take your eye away from the auto'd piece..

I can't think how high of an item like that would go for.. Because of the signifigance of the auto'd piece, I would go thru an auction house instead of EBAY.. Heritage might be one..

Wow, that is one of those jaw dropping items we hardly ever see..

Thanks for sharing!!!

birdsfan85

Aug 7, 2008
hofautos said:
MASTRO/SOTHEBY's WORTHY!
You do realize it's not even Mastro anymore? I'm sure Frank knows where the best place to list it as he definitely has more vintage baseball knowledge then the rest of FCB combined but REA is THE auction house. That piece would turn out 11 nice custom cards :D

Great Piece and the signatures have much better spacing then the one Jon posted on Net54.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Love the Wagner and Lajoie.

Mile High might be another good high profile place, nothing wrong with the other listed above either.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
birdsfan85 said:
hofautos said:
MASTRO/SOTHEBY's WORTHY!
You do realize it's not even Mastro anymore? I'm sure Frank knows where the best place to list it as he definitely has more vintage baseball knowledge then the rest of FCB combined but REA is THE auction house.

No I didn't know that...was that due to the Wagner T206, or reorg or?

>>> That piece would turn out 11 nice custom cards :D
The thought came to my mind, but I dared not say anything :lol:

nah, not even I could cut up that beauty!

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
I also have it posted on Net54 Memorabilia side.

I am getting a few emails too, and there are quite a few including you guys saying that the frame/stripes/photos take their eyes away from the cover. You guy have the same eyes as them old guys at Net54 :)

I was thinking Heritage, maybe REA, Im sure it will be a house that includes PSA/DNA, as from my understanding it will cost close to $1000 for this piece if it were authenticated on its own without the Auction House.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
fkw said:
I also have it posted on Net54 Memorabilia side.

I am getting a few emails too, and there are quite a few including you guys saying that the frame/stripes/photos take their eyes away from the cover. You guy have the same eyes as them old guys at Net54 :)

I was thinking Heritage, maybe REA, Im sure it will be a house that includes PSA/DNA, as from my understanding it will cost close to $1000 for this piece if it were authenticated on its own without the Auction House.

You could authenticate just the Ruth Signature, and guarantee authenticity of others, although the money I would think that could bring in at auction house would justify full authentication. I would think $50K+ myself?? singly the autos wouldn't be worth that, but as a single piece I would think it could break that figure at an auction house??

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
No, it was due to multiple problems (serious cashflow problems, ongoing FBI investigation, slow payments to consigners, lawsuits with the head of SGC, and more). They've continued the shell game as Legendary Auctions, who (of course) is now selling off Bill Mastro's personal collection (although he is no longer a part of the new company).

hofautos said:
birdsfan85 said:
hofautos said:
MASTRO/SOTHEBY's WORTHY!
You do realize it's not even Mastro anymore? I'm sure Frank knows where the best place to list it as he definitely has more vintage baseball knowledge then the rest of FCB combined but REA is THE auction house.

No I didn't know that...was that due to the Wagner T206, or reorg or?

>>> That piece would turn out 11 nice custom cards :D
The thought came to my mind, but I dared not say anything :lol:

nah, not even I could cut up that beauty!

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
update for those interested...
Ive been finding info myself

Ive go value quotes from about $11K to $20K on Net54, I was thinking to myself but never posted that it might be $25K-$30K, one of you guys said maybe $50K (not unrealistic)

I found one that sold for $25,300 in 1998 at Christies (middle one in scan below), it has the same all 11 living players.

Another one that sold for $12,925 in 2008 at REA (bottom one in scan), is missing Honus Wagner of the 11 living players, the Ruth and Cobb are tough to see... and it has a cluttered group of 11 other dignitaries (some future HOFers) in attendance that day..... Joe McCarthy, William Harridge, Clark Griffith, Ford Frick, Kenesaw Landis, "Doc" Protho, Vincent Dailey, William Shaughnessy, James Heydler, W. G. Bramham (President of the Minor Leagues), and James Farley (Postmaster General) 21 total

So far Ive come to the conclusion... This cover is nice but will need to be authenticated fully by PSA/DNA IMO

I have scans of 3 different and all 3 have certain sigs that seem strange to me, but Im not an expert on autographs, Ive just seen many of these players over time... some sigs are sloppy some are clean and unhurried.
The 2 Wagners are so different the top one (stylish" J" "H" "W") looks like the ones Ive seen from the 1940s, the middle Wagner doesnt look right to me for the Era (no Wagner on bottom one).
The Young on the top looks off (he is usually shaky at this age), the other 2 are more like the ones Ive seen.
Lajoie looks slow on top, other 2 look faster
Johnson is slightly different in all 3,
Collins, Mack, Cobb, Ruth, Sisler, look OK, the top Speaker has an unusual fat "p" to me but then again Im not an expert.

I know that they had a few different types of covers but this is the first time Ive actually seen and compared them at same time.
And Im sure they signed them at different times of day in different situations so some may be clean some may be hurried.

Like I said the cover on top will need to be authenticated by PSA/DNA for top $$
Here are 3 scans together

1939coverx3.jpg

Members online

Latest posts