Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Presenting...the TOP 10 MOST HYPED PROSPECTS EVER ON FCB!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
First of all, i'm not hating on anyone by posting this. I've been on the old Beckett baseball boards and been perusing these boards since the beginning, and i'd like to share who I feel are the most hyped prospects ever on both FCB and dating back to the old Beckett boards, regardless of how they went on to perform or how they could perform in the future.

So without wasting any more time, the Greatest Top 10 Most Hyped List in the History of Mankind, Hands Down:

10. Jay Bruce- he was the second-coming of the boss, and it didn't hurt that the key parallels to his rookie card were also bordered red, the color of his team uni. One of the first "sleeper" prospects- that didn't stay in slumber for long.

9. Phil Hughes- one of only two pitchers to ever appear in the history of this greatest top 10 list ever. Also, the only uber-prospect to ever appear on a baseball card message board, even though it took over 20 pages to convince everyone it was actually him! Also a big Hank Conger-homer.

8. Matt Laporta- God was supposed to become the next Matt Laporta. 'nuff said.

7. Cameron Maybin- Mr. "upton-light", his hype train started rolling faster than justin's for a while there. Scary, yet amusing.

6. Delmon Young- the original 5-tool, can't miss prospect that started it all. His bowman chrome autograph really paved the way for all future bowman chrome autograph prospectors for years to come. I spit on anyone who would say otherwise, or at least i'll fling all my empty bowman draft boxes at you.

5. Justin Upton- as alluded to previously, this guy was Delmon on P90x, and even Beckett was calling him the next Griffey and Arod chimera. Plus he was a cool dude. What couldn't you like about him?

4. Bryce Harper- four years ago, he would have been the greatest prospect of all time. Unfortunately, more collectors are becoming more wary of dumping gobs of money at high school aged kids, and with the bad economy, no one has time to sit on his stuff for five years. Make that three years. Alright, how about two? SI?

3. Alex Gordon- he was the surest thing in the history of prospecting. Two incredible years in college, no nonsense, all the numbers and accolades and pedigree. You just couldn't go wrong, and you didn't if you sold at the right time. Man, he was HUGE.

2. Jesus Montero- good god, how much longer do we have to hear about this guy? Bring him up already, Yankees. Oh wait, you're not sure about his defense? That's ok, the longer he stays in the minors, the bigger his hype will build. Please lord, don't trade him to another team!

1. Steven Strasburg - 2010 Topps baseball company monopoly. 'nuff said.

Honorable mention- brandon wood, homer bailey, billy butler, joba, F-mart, matt wieters, mike trout, jay sborz, and chaz roe.

So what's your top 10?

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Big Mac - Everyone knew Heyward was going to be a strong player, but Laporta and Price stole the limelight initially. It was ridiculous how many Laporta threads we had on here.

Adam - I included the old Beckett boards. Delmon was huge back then and is the forefather of prospecting chrome autos.

Metz - Gordon does essentially take the whole thing, but with all the extra media surrounding Stras, he virtually transcended this list. I had trouble just keeping him on it. Montero may be the most posted prospect ever. Period.

TB - I don't know if you were around since 2004, but prospecting was actually huge starting in 2005, and in my opinion huger than it is today. You may not realize how big these older guys were.

Thanks for the comments so far guys! Who would be in your own list?

orion9578

Aug 8, 2008
New Mexico
If you're going back to BMB, don't forget Joba. Geesh. I opened a case of 2007 bc and pulled a gold ref auto of him the day of release. It sold for 1200 BIN. By the way I also pulled what looked to be a GEM blue Lincecum auto and sold it for 300 BIN(ouch).

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I thought Hughes had a pretty goos year this year considering it was his first fullyear as a starter.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
orion9578 said:
If you're going back to BMB, don't forget Joba. Geesh. I opened a case of 2007 bc and pulled a gold ref auto of him the day of release. It sold for 1200 BIN. By the way I also pulled what looked to be a GEM blue Lincecum auto and sold it for 300 BIN(ouch).

Thanks, man, I added him to the honorable mention list. He and Lincecum came up so soon after their cards were released, the hype mode on the boards didn't have time to mature.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
chashawk said:
Montero was so highly posted because of one member alone.

Don't forget Betances either. His 2007 BC autos were HUGE for a very short period of time.
From what I hear Bettances is the real deal.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
I think the unmentioned rule is that crappy Braves prospects get a pass....anyways....

#1? Laporta..simple...the guy never rose from the grave. I bet there are still 10 MAJOR stashes here of his stuff, but
guys of course will say they unloaded in time. I love these kinds of topics.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Nice list, but LaPorta should be #1, hands down!!!

Heck, the hype was so high even i bought a few Laporta RCs :lol:

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
You are missing a HANDS DOWN TOP 3 most overhyped player from bmb/fcb. Fernando Martinez. EVERYONE, well 95% of the boards were all over this dudes nuts for 2 1/2 years. Over and over and over with new posts about this guy. If you don't remember, then you weren't around long enough (not directed at the OP).

Again, top 3 hands down. Some of the guys on the list were very overhyped all around, but not as much on the boards.

skrip

Members online

Latest posts