Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Unblievable holiday for me and my HOF collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
My family and I have it amazingly good (economically and otherwise), and this has been a particularly good year for us in every respect, for which we are grateful (especially given the tough economic times that many are having).

With that, I am actually slightly embarrassed by how much I received for christmas this year. However, I cannot resist the urge to show off the additions to my HOF auto collection.

First, my wife and I both received raises this year, and my wife splurged and bought me this Hugh Duffy auto for the collection. Read the inscription from his HOF plaque; it speaks for itself!

This is HOF auto #210 for my collection. More to come...

Duffy.jpg

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Next, my mother seemed unusually curious about my collection over Thanksgiving dinner. I was happy to discuss it with her, and my father helped her pick out an item for me. Incredible! This one really shocked me.

This is a scorecard from the Sept. 20, 1936 game between the Giants and Dodgers. It is in pretty good shape and, to my delight, the game has been scored (my father and I always score games that we attend). More importantly, it has been signed boldly by HOFer Mel Ott. It was also signed by HOFer Travis Jackson and four other Giants. It came with full LOA from PSA/DNA. Beautiful, and HOF auto #211 for my collection.

The best is yet to come...

Ott.jpg

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
It takes a big man not to be jealous of another board member's collection.

(I am not a big man !) :lol:

Congrats on the pickups!

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Here come the biggies. First, I have to share a little back story.

My father-in-law is an amazing man. He came from a lower-class family and worked his way up from washing dishes in a hotel as a teenager to running a major hotel management company. He is going to retire in the next few months, and I think that has made him reflect on his life and take a greater interest in his children and grandchildren (he has always been a workaholic). My wife recently had emergency surgery, and he was in town. He started asking about my collection and who I have and don't have. This got me excited, because if he were to take an interest in the collection (which I have always said is for my son [his youngest grandson] in the long term anyway), there could be something big under the tree. There was, and it they were WAY bigger than I imagined.

Here is the FIRST auto that he gave me this christmas. Grover Cleveland Alexander was inducted into the hall in 1938. This is an extremely clean auto and a huge addition as HOF auto #212 for my collection.

The final one is coming shortly and it is unreal.

Alexander.jpg

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I KNEW I'd be envious even before I looked :mrgreen:
However, I applaud your additions and hope you enjoy having them in your amazing collection.
DANNY

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
The last one absolutely floored me. I have to add this: within our family, my father-in-law goes by the nickname of Rex. His wife grew up in Detroit and always heard HER father talking about Ty Cobb and how great of a player and awful of a human being he was. When the following item came up for auction last year, I told them about it. I didn't know that they purchased it, and surely didn't know that it would end up with me and my son. This is an absolutely incredible piece and the instant cornerstone of my collection.

This is a photo of Cobb spiking Frank "Home Run" Baker. The inscription by Cobb is incredible. It is a bit hard to read, but it says the following:

"The 'so called' spiking of Baker. Looks like I am trying to evade him, he is in line, he looks like is trying to spike my foot with his arm. To Rex from Ty Cobb."

It came with full LOAs from PSA/DNA and JSA, as well as a letter from Rex Teeslink, who was Cobb's caretaker for the last few months of his life and to whom the photo is inscribed.

Unbelievable, and HOF auto #213 for my collection.

Cobb.jpg

Tedw9

Apr 1, 2010
Ummmm.....holy crap! :eek:

That is one of the greatest photos of Cobb ever taken, and to have it signed is nothing short of incredible.

WOW, WOW, WOW!

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the kind words everybody.

sethyarkony said:
Nice stuff, merry christmas.

I'd appreciate a little more modesty though.

You know, I debated whether to post these here at all, because I don't know what to say and don't think I could ever be modest enough about these gifts. I'm still shocked by them myself.

The family are having a great christmas overall, and I hope everyone else's are too.

CubsFan13

Jul 1, 2010
Its hard to be modest with stuff like that, I know I sure wouldnt be able to! You can shove that auto in my face everyday of my life and I will still drool at the sight of it!

Nice stuff! And Merry Christmas!!!

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Awesome Wayne!!! As you know I love following your collection and you've been a great resource for me here.

I especially love the Alexander, as I am sure you know. I also need Cobb and I suspect it'll be awhile before I have either (Cobb or Alexander).

Congrats again!!

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
That cobb piece is unreal.

I also applaud you for being so modest (I'm not being sarcastic). It sounds like your family is really interested in your hobby and that is a great thing to have in common and talk about, especially during the holidays.

G

MaineMule said:
Awesome Wayne!!! As you know I love following your collection and you've been a great resource for me here.

I especially love the Alexander, as I am sure you know. I also need Cobb and I suspect it'll be awhile before I have either (Cobb or Alexander).

Congrats again!!

There are so many posts like this. I hate to pick out one because it's unfair to the person who posted it, because it makes it feel like I'm signalling someone out.

This is a time to be thankful for what we have, and instead of unhappy with what we don't have.

Not everyone is the same age. Not everyone has the same income. Not everyone chooses to devote the same portion of their income to their collections. That's fine. Not everyone has the means to have the same things in their collection. That's fine too. It's nothing to be unhappy about and no reason to be jealous.

We should all look around and be so thankful with all that's wrong in the world that we have luxuries like computers and free time to use the internet to come on here. The fact that we can spare the funds for even one autograph of a common player says something about us.

So I encourage everyone to just take a moment this holiday season to take a moment to be thankful for what we do have, whether it's Babe Ruth or Omar Vizquel. If you spent money on it, it must have some value to you, some meaning, so enjoy it. And if someone has more to spend, or chooses to spend more, then that's their collection that they enjoy and should affect us either way.

Happy collecting.

Members online

Latest posts