Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Aroldis Chapman to stay in the bullpen in 2011?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
700 WLW out of Cincy is reporting that Jockety looks for Chapman to stay in the pen for 2011.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I'm okay with it. Honestly, I would turn him into a closer rather than a starter. With how hard he throws, his occasional control issues, and his throwing motion, I think making him a starter is asking for trouble. As a closer, I think he could dominate. Leave in the pen until Cordero is gone and then make him the closer.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Someone please explain to me why Cincy ponied up as much as they did for a reliever.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
My only guess is that they have too many "starters" right now. Seems like they would want to groom an Ace.

Bronson
Cueto
Leake
Wood
Bailey
Volquez

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Umm I see a huge dropoff in card value if he is a closer next year. People aren't paying 40 bucks a chrome auto for a 35 to 40 save guy.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I doubt he will be a closer. They are currently paying Cordero a TON of money to close games.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Cordero has been very inconsistant lately. They lost Arthur Rhodes and need a new set up guy but I don't think they are married to Cordero being the closer. They are paying a ton of money to Chapman as well.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
morgoth said:
Umm I see a huge dropoff in card value if he is a closer next year. People aren't paying 40 bucks a chrome auto for a 35 to 40 save guy.
Doubtful.
The kids throws missiles and gets tons of love from ESPN and the rest of the media.
Everyone loves a 105 FB!
Think of mid Joba frenzy even worse.
$$$$$$

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
Someone please explain to me why Cincy ponied up as much as they did for a reliever.

When you compare what teams are paying mediocre veteran middle relievers this winter, it's not so outlandish.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
LLWesMan said:
This is posturing by Cincinnati to strengthen their hand. Once the last of the FA pitchers signs their extra SP will be on the block.

They also have Dontrelle Willis.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
LLWesMan said:
jbhofmann said:
LLWesMan said:
This is posturing by Cincinnati to strengthen their hand. Once the last of the FA pitchers signs their extra SP will be on the block.

They also have Dontrelle Willis.

:lol:

Reports today said he has been working with Price already and looks to be in pretty good form. :eek:

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Russ S. said:
morgoth said:
Doubtful.
The kids throws missiles and gets tons of love from ESPN and the rest of the media.
Everyone loves a 105 FB!
Think of mid Joba frenzy even worse.
$$$$$$

Yeah when Joel Zumaya was first making a splash, his cards held some pretty strong value for a setup man. Big power fastballs like that are money.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
morgoth said:

Yes because what prospectors are paying and hoping for is what teams should base decisions on.

Cordero is not the answer. Chapman can be a solid closer for years to come. As a lifelong Reds fan, it would be nice to be able to relax in the 9th.

It would not surprise me if Chapman doesn't make a start this year or next.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
I hope he does.

He is destined to be a star closer.....especially with how hard he throws. Do you guys [honestly] think that he would be just as effective over 6-7 innings than he is pitching 1-2 (full out) inning?? If he was on my team I would love for him to close out games, the 9th inning is just as important as the first several...

Wes

OG
Administrator
scotty21690 said:
I hope he does.

He is destined to be a star closer.....especially with how hard he throws. Do you guys [honestly] think that he would be just as effective over 6-7 innings than he is pitching 1-2 (full out) inning?? If he was on my team I would love for him to close out games, the 9th inning is just as important as the first several...

Elite starters are harder to find than elite closers. He has the tools to be an elite starter, you have to at least let him fail at it before forcing him into the closer role.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
LLWesMan said:
scotty21690 said:
I hope he does.

Elite starters are harder to find than elite closers. He has the tools to be an elite starter, you have to at least let him fail at it before forcing him into the closer role.

My thoughts are is he will not be as effective as a starter based on the fact that he won't be throwing 105mph every inning because he will have to conserve energy if he wants to go 100+ pitches. Whereas when he relieves he can go as hard as he wants because he is only going <30 pitches. I just don't see him being an "elite" starter (rather an above average starter) but I can see him as an "elite" closer.

Although you make a very good point, won't know until it happens. Maybe I should reserve judgement until then... ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts