Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When the internet & modern events cast shadows over careers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
i got to thinking about this today.....

i know im on the old side when it comes to FCB, but not so much when it comes to dopes that like to collect cardboard pictures of sports players.

i sometimes sit in amazement at how many great players i've been fortunate enough to see play while their career was happening. it is also during those times that i think its very unfortunate that the internet and current happenings tend to lead to a stereo-type when a player from the past is mentioned.

Take for example: Joe Morgan

The guy was a machine. a true great of the game. but now hes an afterthought better known as being a baffoon on ESPN baseball. kinda sad

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
How bout Joe Namath?

Today's generation only knows him from his drunken rant with Suzy......

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
ThoseBackPages said:
i got to thinking about this today.....

i know im on the old side when it comes to FCB, but not so much when it comes to dopes that like to collect cardboard pictures of sports players.

i sometimes sit in amazement at how many great players i've been fortunate enough to see play while their career was happening. it is also during those times that i think its very unfortunate that the internet and current happenings tend to lead to a stereo-type when a player from the past is mentioned.

Take for example: Joe Morgan

The guy was a machine. a true great of the game. but now hes an afterthought better known as being a baffoon on ESPN baseball. kinda sad

TBP, while I agree with you on how players are now seen as opposed to what they looked like when they played, I don't agree with you being OLD. I think we are the same age ( I will be 40 in April too) and I don't think we are OLD yet. Yeah I remember seeing guys play that are now managers and it reminds me of when my granfather or father would tell me "you should've seen him play". I guess being advanced in age sometimes gives us the benefit of seeing the world from different views. Those people that see Morgan as a broadcaster never got to appreciate him as a player and that is where we are the lucky ones, but not OLD. :D

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
hofmichael said:
I am in the minority in that I enjoyed his commentary.Boy was he one hell of a ball player.
I agree with you on both counts. I liked him as a broadcaster as well.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
MOST of the old-time players were much worse characters off the field, it just wasn't reported, if it was known at all. Besides, drinking, womanizing, etc. were more accepted parts of society anyway.

The one that resonates with me is the peek behind Kirby Puckett's private life curtain. Scary to see...

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
I've met Pete Rose at a show years ago and got to here a few stories . Read the book "Fatso " Art Donovan about playing in the 1950's !!! Todays players are watched 24/7 .
Not a Reds fan but Morgan was better on field than talking.
As for 40 in April i'll be 59 in April.
I get to meet the rookies of local minor league team and vistors always tell them to enjoy what they're doing not many get this far .

Latest posts