Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How will 2011 compare to 2010?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

autorook

Jan 30, 2011
California
Anyone feel that 2010 was the peak for BB cards? Will 2011 be just as hot or even hotter?

Killing time here at work, post on!

StrasburgMania

Jan 7, 2011
no way its peak people bought these prospects at these prices knowing or at least thinking they would be going up... IMO. no

Yankees1218

Jan 1, 2010
I think thatthis year will match last years. And I think that 2011 BC draft will have a lot to do with it. Will be a great auto checklist if they arent swept up by Razor 2.0

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I don't know, few could ever get the status Strasburg had. A pitcher throwing like that is generational, unless Harper comes in an hits 50+ HRs. Plus Chapman last year as well.

coltsfan23

Aug 7, 2008
MN
I think 2011 will be better than 2010 for the primary reason that more prospectors have come into the industry than ever before. With the sudden inflow of people purchasing prospect cards since Strasburg got called up late last season, the demand will increase overall prices even more than we've seen thus far in the offseason and spring training.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I'll say 2011 will probably be slightly slower than 2010, given that Strasburg is hurt and out and Bryce Harper will be in the minors the whole season.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Slower. I can't imagine all the people out there who got burned by buying Strasburg at record high prices are that enthusiastic about putting more money into this hobby. Baseball's popularity is waning, the economy is still bad, and there are increasing legions of collectors who are not very happy with Topps' products.

I was counting on Dom Brown being hot out of the gate, but that collapsed quickly. No Strasburg in the majors. And the Giants are defending world champs. Yawn.

2011 Bowman will be decent, but not as big as 2010 bowman.

Pacquiao may help drive Ginter sales.

If heritage has a slow showing this year, it will dictate "collecting" for the rest of the year - people just aren't doing it.

Prospecting really has no uber prospects after the Harper train has left the station.

Did I mention not really anything too exciting about Topps this year? SOS, I dare to imagine.

If pitching continues to dominate, it will be snoozefestapalooza this year compared to 2010.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Those collectors with a good understanding of what the hobby can reasonably offer - and have good balance with their collecting habits - will continue to have a good time as always.

Those that expect too much of cardboard will, as always, be disappointed.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
beefycheddar said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Peaked in 1989 dude

I'd give it a few years past that, not many, but a few.

Sports Cards as a whole peaked in 1990/91 season, imo. That was the absolute height of sports cards popularity, after that season is when people started getting out.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Interesting to think about the high and low points.

High points were 1981 (Fleer/Donruss shake up the market), 1989 (UD/Griffey craze), and 2005 (height of Game-Used craze, Ichiro/Pujols hotness). 2010 would be somewhat below average if I was graphing the peaks and valleys.

But the great rookie crop should help draw more new blood into the hobby.

Members online

Latest posts