Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sweet Jameson Taillon Chrome Mailday. Grade Worthy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
Just got this in the mail. Did I overpay? Probably but I think hes going to be great. I have never graded a card on my own before and dont know if the O/C makes it not worth grading. Everything else looks really nice.
TaillonOrangeFront.jpg
TaillonOrangeBack.jpg

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
Looks a little uncentered, but otherwise yes! I would get it graded, I just like the look of chrome autos in the BGS case :D

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
techboy42004 said:
Looks a little uncentered, but otherwise yes! I would get it graded, I just like the look of chrome autos in the BGS case :D

This is true, they do look very nice. Im hoping BGS will be doing one of my local shows soon.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
MallCopKJ said:
techboy42004 said:

This is true, they do look very nice. Im hoping BGS will be doing one of my local shows soon.
You want to grade for flipping or protection?

Center isn't a "little" uncut.
Probably a 8.5 at best. IMO.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
Russ S. said:
MallCopKJ said:
techboy42004 said:

You want to grade for flipping or protection?

Center isn't a "little" uncut.
Probably a 8.5 at best. IMO.

I was hoping it might get a 9 on centering but yeah, that might be stretching it. The rest of the card looks like 9.5.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
you outbid me on the Orange, I need it to complete my rainbow as I got the Red at Chicago.

I will wait and buy one graded most likely as the raw ones out there are to OC

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
I find the base chromes to be well centered. If you're wanting the grade to help you make extra money on the card, you'd be wasting your money by grading it. That centering will never let the card get above a 9, and that's if you're lucky.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
morgoth said:
you outbid me on the Orange, I need it to complete my rainbow as I got the Red at Chicago.

I will wait and buy one graded most likely as the raw ones out there are to OC

Sorry man. I was actually expecting it to go for a lot more after the last raw gold brought $250

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
You see the occasional card centered like that sneak into a 9.5 but would most likley get a 9 overall. Still would add some premium to it, considering all of them are centered like that.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
Does a card getting a 9 actually hurt value now? "Mint" used to be a good thing for a card. If it got an 8.5 on centering then everything else got 9.5 for an overall 9, that would be a bad thing?

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
MallCopKJ said:
Does a card getting a 9 actually hurt value now? "Mint" used to be a good thing for a card. If it got an 8.5 on centering then everything else got 9.5 for an overall 9, that would be a bad thing?
No a 9 wouldn't hurt value. It wouldn't add any in most cases either.
Most 9's sell the same as raw.

What's what my first question was geared towards.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Russ S. said:
MallCopKJ said:
No a 9 wouldn't hurt value. It would add those in most cases.
Most 9's sell the same as raw.

What's what my first question was geared towards.

Agreed, BGS9 or PSA9 would yield about the same as raw. Save your grading fees and sell when ready would be my choice.

edit--also I pay less for O/C items due to eye appeal.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
Well, I think its still a pretty cool card. I havent seen one with much better centering. I guess thats why nothing over a blue ref has been graded besides the super :oops:

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
MallCopKJ said:
Well, I think its still a pretty cool card. I havent seen one with much better centering. I guess thats why nothing over a blue ref has been graded besides the super :oops:

Yeah that's definitely a great card, just not grade-worthy due to the centering. There's nothing wrong with that though, it doesn't take anything away from the fact that it's one of Taillon's best parallels of his best rookie card.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
MallCopKJ said:

Yeah that's definitely a great card, just not grade-worthy due to the centering. There's nothing wrong with that though, it doesn't take anything away from the fact that it's one of Taillon's best parallels of his best rookie card.

Thanks man. Is it common for a guys entire parallel run to have centering issues? How exactly does that happen.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
MallCopKJ said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
MallCopKJ said:

Thanks man. Is it common for a guys entire parallel run to have centering issues? How exactly does that happen.

Yeah it seems like most of the time a certain run of a card will either be (mostly) centered or (mostly) off-centered. I'm no expert on the card manufacturing process, but I'd imagine this is because the sheet of cards ends up slightly out of line when it goes through the cutting machines. When there are only 25 or 50 copies of the card, I think they fit on one sheet, which means the entire run will be affected...whereas a run of base or refractor autos (500+ copies of the card) they need multiple sheets and some may end up going into the cutting process more precisely than others, resulting in the difference centering.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
MallCopKJ said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":euc05eg2]
MallCopKJ said:

Yeah it seems like most of the time a certain run of a card will either be (mostly) centered or (mostly) off-centered. I'm no expert on the card manufacturing process, but I'd imagine this is because the sheet of cards ends up slightly out of line when it goes through the cutting machines. When there are only 25 or 50 copies of the card, I think they fit on one sheet, which means the entire run will be affected...whereas a run of base or refractor autos (500+ copies of the card) they need multiple sheets and some may end up going into the cutting process more precisely than others, resulting in the difference centering.[/quote:euc05eg2]

Thats a shame. Too bad they dont employ someone to watch the cards being cut to ensure their aligned.

Members online

Latest posts