Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does the hunt mean more then the ownership?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
When it comes to getting cards that you've wanted for a long time, does it feel to you that the hunt for it was greater then actually owning the card?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Ryan Express?

For me, I don't think so no. The more difficult time I have had landing a card, the more "value" it has to me. You should see some of the relatively worthless pieces of cardboard I have locked up like Fort Knox because I value them more based off the hunt

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Good question

Cards meant a lot more to me before Ebay and before I had a steady income. I still have my 1992 Hoops Magic's All Rookie Team Alonzo Mourning displayed in a half inch thick screwdown because it took nearly the entire summer working and saving to afford it

It's worth about $4.50 now, and that's including the $3.50 I spent on the holder

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Brewer Andy said:
Ryan Express?

No, i don't mean my Ryan. I still love staring at that one.

Will brings up a great point about eBay and a steady income to be able to buy what we like, not like when we were kids.

For example, I want a Seaver rookie. Theres an acceptable one on eBay right now for $560. I can hit the bin now, and by the weekend I should have it in my possession.

The thing that i love about my Ryan (more then the price) is that it presents really well for the grade, and i got it at a show. Hell, the seller didn't even have it on display, only after asking if he had any mid to low grade Ryans did he say that he did, and showed it to me.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I think that the hunt does mean more than the ownership. The hunt to me is identifying the prey, the eBay searching, the time spent on message boards learning about issues or variations you didn't know about, the card shows attended looking for new additions. A good hunt involves talking to other hunters for leads and tips, and both skill and sometimes luck to put yourself in the right spot at the right time to bag that elusive card.

Just like a big game hunter sitting in his trophy room, the ownership of the card to me is about bringing up the memories of the hunt. I look at the cards I own and think about all the steps I went through to acquire that card. The cards I personally value most were often the hardest ones to find. If I had help in landing it, it's even more memorable to me.

Ownership is nice and I enjoy the physical realness of the card in hand - looking at them in person is different and better than seeing them in a photobucket, just like seeing a lion at the zoo is different than seeing a picture of them. But the hunt that landed the card is often the more exciting and memorable part of the transaction. For the most part, once in hand, the cards go into a box and don't get looked at all that often.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
gracecollector said:
Just like a big game hunter sitting in his trophy room, the ownership of the card to me is about bringing up the memories of the hunt

Terrible analogy.

Venison tastes SO much better than cardboard

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Yes, the hunt is what makes collecting exciting. For me, seeking out cards only below certain prices adds to the "hunt" aspect of collecting. I will not pay more than $10 for "common" O'Neill autos, otherwise it would be too easy. There are a handful listed on eBay every week. I could go on to Beckett Marketplace and order 80 cards I need of O'Neill and rack up a $1000 bill, but there wouldn't be any fun in that. I'd rather prolong the hunt, it makes the eventual ownership more enjoyable.

The second thing I recently discovered was that it has been more enjoyable for me collecting cards long after their release rather than chasing a new product that has just gone live. With newly released sets, one can go on eBay and pickup every single card whereas older releases require patience and some hunting. If it weren't for the chase, it would be far too easy and collecting would boil down to the size of your wallet.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
gracecollector said:
I think that the hunt does mean more than the ownership. The hunt to me is identifying the prey, the eBay searching, the time spent on message boards learning about issues or variations you didn't know about, the card shows attended looking for new additions. A good hunt involves talking to other hunters for leads and tips, and both skill and sometimes luck to put yourself in the right spot at the right time to bag that elusive card.

Just like a big game hunter sitting in his trophy room, the ownership of the card to me is about bringing up the memories of the hunt. I look at the cards I own and think about all the steps I went through to acquire that card. The cards I personally value most were often the hardest ones to find. If I had help in landing it, it's even more memorable to me.

Ownership is nice and I enjoy the physical realness of the card in hand - looking at them in person is different and better than seeing them in a photobucket, just like seeing a lion at the zoo is different than seeing a picture of them. But the hunt that landed the card is often the more exciting and memorable part of the transaction. For the most part, once in hand, the cards go into a box and don't get looked at all that often.

I couldn't agree more. I do love to own what I have and they will still never leave my possesion. I also collect IP autos and have some really great autographs from some of sports best athletes. But its the stories that go along with the items that really bring in the value to me. I mean, after all...a card or an auto is just a card or an auto. Where it becomes special is when you can tell someone about it to a degree where they actually see it as more than what it really is.

Besides...I know several people that have seen my hobby room and they don't know a thing about collecting but they might enjoy sports. But its one of the rare times that my collection actually matters to someone. Otherwise, they think I am just a crazy loon with too much time and money on my hands. Its even inspired a few people to get back into collecting or to go out and hunt down IP autos.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
For some reason I think of pulling cards from packs more like "hunting" than winning them on ebay...even though I don't bust often. I hate to trade away anything I pull, its like I witnessed the card's "birth" or something LOL.

Otherwise I value "the hunting" and ownership equally with my cards.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
The thing about buying or finding a card in person its much more visceral than finding it on ebay.

Heck I am sure we all have our favorite searches saved and when something pops up we look at the email, place it on our watch list and set a snipe. Its like the comic book guy's way of collecting, minimal effort.

Going to a big show and finding a undervalued gem or a card you need in a dollar box is much more fun than Ebay just because you never know what you are going to find at those shows.

Also the ability to trade or haggle on price also makes it more fun.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
uniquebaseballcards said:
For some reason I think of pulling cards from packs more like "hunting" than winning them on ebay...even though I don't bust often. I hate to trade away anything I pull, its like I witnessed the card's "birth" or something LOL.

Otherwise I value "the hunting" and ownership equally with my cards.

I agree. I value a card I pull more than the same card that I purchase or could find easily on ebay.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
For me, ownership is far more important than the hunt. Hunting for items, then flipping them shortly after you get them makes absolutly no sense to me. It seems to me that those collectors are more interested in perception than reality, and are usually in an out of the hobby pretty quickly. I buy inventory to flip, occasionally have prospects I'll cash in (or out) on, but my personal collection items rarely ever see the light of day.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
I have been searching for an obscure minor league card for nearly 5 years now. When the card is in my possession the satisfaction of owning the card will far surpass any emotional attachment to the process of finding the card. Had I found the card logging fewer hours I would probably have more fond memories of the process. Now that it has taken so long it is more annoying than thrilling. :lol:

Latest posts