Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

i was pondering during my drive to work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

by pondering i mean reflecting vividly upon collecting as a child. it was and still is a big deal to have the hot rookie... i am going to assume it will be the same way in another 30 years. however i remember the importance my friends and collecting buddies put on 2nd year cards too. they didnt have the importance the RC did but there was a value and a excitement to see or acquire that card of your favorite player or the hot guy. i remember paying $2.50 a pop for kirby pucketts 1986 topps card and having at least 2 photo album pages full (yes i kept my cards in a photo album). now days there is no market for 2nd year cards and they demand no premium and they create no excitement. why? what killed them? what has changed about the hobby that these cards get hardly any love?

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Kirby Puckett has a handful of rookies, today's kids have 10 rookies + per set. Not really any need for a second year card when you can find a rookie year everywhere you look.

t_crabby95

Jun 20, 2011
i think that game used and autographs killed second year (and base in general, heck even inserts.) i like a lot of 90s inserts where they actually had to be creative with design and technology (die cuts, holograms, refractors, printing on plastic and wood etc) all they do now is slap a piece of white cloth or chunk of wood on a (most likely butt ugly) card and expect us to gobble it up like candy. personally i like them, but i go enjoy every card i get. i have seen people search thru packs for the "hits" and leave the rest at the store.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
J-Rod said:
Kirby Puckett has a handful of rookies, today's kids have 10 rookies + per set. Not really any need for a second year card when you can find a rookie year everywhere you look.

Yup.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
J-Rod said:

Not only that, but then you add in all the parallels and plates and then you have a LOT.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I think the biggest reason second year cards were so important is because they were often the first card to show the player in an action shot, in an MLB uniform.

Thurman Munson is probably one of the best examples of this...hideous rookie card and amazing 2nd year issue.

Today's players have draft time images and airbrushed minor league images before they've ever stepped on to a field.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
notjomommasclint said:
by pondering i mean reflecting vividly upon collecting as a child. it was and still is a big deal to have the hot rookie... i am going to assume it will be the same way in another 30 years. however i remember the importance my friends and collecting buddies put on 2nd year cards too. they didnt have the importance the RC did but there was a value and a excitement to see or acquire that card of your favorite player or the hot guy. i remember paying $2.50 a pop for kirby pucketts 1986 topps card and having at least 2 photo album pages full (yes i kept my cards in a photo album). now days there is no market for 2nd year cards and they demand no premium and they create no excitement. why? what killed them? what has changed about the hobby that these cards get hardly any love?

I'd think the answer obvious: Its not that these cards are undervalued, its that first cards are overvalued.

I'd also think someone who couldn't appreciate a player's later cards doesn't appreciate cards at all!

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Luckily you didn't smash into some poor bastard on the sidewalk. Wtf were you doing driving AND thinking at the same time?????

And to answer your question.....it's because the hobby died in 1991 when wax packs were discontinued

Members online

Latest posts