Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Let's change Ebay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
I know this is a far-fetched notion, but maybe it isn't. There is powerful strength in numbers, and numbers are something we have on this forum.

So I propose that we come up with a formidable plan that will force Ebay to change their policies and practices as they currently exist. Something needs to be done; something HAS to be done. We all see the daily gripes and outrageous decision Ebay makes, and their current policies and practices are simply unacceptable, and actually, downright asinine and incomprehensible.

Surely there is something we can do. Again, we have enough power (in numbers) on this forum to take action and make change a reality. So let's go ahead and open up the discussion.

Please keep the snide comments and jeers to yourself. It's time to do something about this situation. The only ones who truly fail are those who fail to at least try. We can do something! Let's put our creative minds together and formulate a plan.

Let the conversation begin.

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
Things have been tried before on a larger scale. Even back when FVF was about 3% and people would "boycott" when they had a .2% increase. To put it simple, Ebay has no real competition. You would need a lot more than just people on this forum for them to even consider changing anything. Remember, Ebay has a whole lot more to offer than just sportscards.

Evolution's feedback and ratings look good. The only thing I can think of for their selling account being restricted could be the number of cases opened. I had an old account suspended for having too many cases and it didn't matter if it was resolved or the buyer was refunded.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Boylen33 said:
...Surely there is something we can do. Again, we have enough power (in numbers) on this forum to take action and make change a reality....

This is just it. Why would eBay WANT to deal with hundreds of thousands of (sometimes idiot) sellers when they could be dealing with only thousands of sellers when they get the same profit margin?

As a buyer, I've no real reason to complain as long as I'm protected with PayPal. From a hobby perspective, I'd rather see fewer people selling and more people keeping.

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
umm yeah no. you must be on some serious courage juice, try riding a bull for 8 seconds instead, you stand a better chance.

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
Sportscards sellers could be only a start. This could simply be a jumping off point. You have to start small and then build something large from it. Of course it would take time. What good does it to to go on forums and complain about things? Other than releasing frustrations and venting, it does no good. So why even bother posting gripes? Yes, sports cards make up only a fraction of Ebay's sales. But I'd venture to say that many of us do, from time to time, sell things other than sports cards, whether it be an old cell phone, computer, car part, etc.

The only way things are going to change is if someone stands up and takes action. That's the only way any large-scale change happens.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
The issue here (the way I see it) is that eBay is not hurt if sellers get upset, unless it leads to a mass exodus of buyers, and that seems unlikely. eBay has been targeting large corporations for sales for a while now. I imagine they believe that the customer support needed for smaller sellers (smaller meaning not a bit company like Gap) is not worth the cost, and they can do better with just big business. Until buyers leave (and IMO that won't happen until there is an alternative, or until they go corporate to the degree that they no longer offer unique items and area mostly just a large retailer) there's little that can be done.

I do believe they are opening the door for someone to come in and take over the market that they were created to fill.

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
I remember Yahoo Auctions and wish they were still around. The doors were wide open for scams there, but I did have some success with them, and it was a somewhat viable alternative to Ebay.

There are A LOT of smaller/individual sellers on Ebay, and I contest that it does make up a large part of the Ebay seller community.

SkippyTai

May 31, 2011
sneekc said:
umm yeah no. you must be on some serious courage juice, try riding a bull for 8 seconds instead, you stand a better chance.

I hate to say it, but I agree w/ this comment.

Ebay is a behemoth. You wont win.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Here's the plain and simple answer: eBay doesnt give a **** about you or this one small message board.

Good luck though

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
No, I, as one single person, will not and cannot win. But if enough people band together, then change can be affected.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Boylen33 said:
No, I, as one single person, will not and cannot win. But if enough people band together, then change can be affected.

I agree. But you are not going against the governent you are trying to change a private business that runs off a certain business model and makes billions of dollars doing so.

Like I said, as a smalltime seller, eBay does not give a damn about you. They profit off huge sellers with hundreds of thousand of feedback. Not piddly guys with 1-5000.

eBay will not change for the foreseable future. People need to get used to it.

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
So you think there are more sellers with hundreds of thousands of feedback than there are sellers with 5,000 or less? I think that the smaller sellers, if taken out of the equation, would cripple Ebay. Just look at all the completed auctions that resulted in no sales. Ebay made money of the listing fees of those auctions. I could easily find thousands. While some of them came from "super" sellers, the majority came from the small-time guy trying to sell something he had laying around his house.

The whole premise of Ebay is to allow common individuals a vehicle for selling their unwanted items. Perhaps Ebay wants it to morph into a platform for large corporations to deliver their products, but the average corporation is going to rely on their own means of commerce, i.e.-their own website, for that.

There is one of two reasons that Ebay continues to change their policies, fee structures, and practices. One, they want to push out the smaller sellers and cater to only large business and big sellers to become more profitable, or two, their current system isn't working and they are losing money, so they are trying to figure out why.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Boylen33 said:
So you think there are more sellers with hundreds of thousands of feedback than there are sellers with 5,000 or less?

You are right, there are more small time sellers than bigtime sellers. That's a fact at almost any marketplace.

I think that the smaller sellers, if taken out of the equation, would cripple Ebay.

Crippling for who, you or eBay?

Just look at all the completed auctions that resulted in no sales. Ebay made money of the listing fees of those auctions. I could easily find thousands. While some of them came from "super" sellers, the majority came from the small-time guy trying to sell something he had laying around his house.

Yup, once again you are right.

The whole premise of Ebay is to allow common individuals a vehicle for selling their unwanted items. Perhaps Ebay wants it to morph into a platform for large corporations to deliver their products, but the average corporation is going to rely on their own means of commerce, i.e.-their own website, for that.

No arguement there

There is one of two reasons that Ebay continues to change their policies, fee structures, and practices. One, they want to push out the smaller sellers and cater to only large business and big sellers to become more profitable, or two, their current system isn't working and they are losing money, so they are trying to figure out why.

You hit it on the head with catering to large businesses and trying to become like Amazon. See, eBay can make just as much money by reworking the fee structure because once theyve pushed out the small guys who might not rely on eBay as a fulltime job, they can target the bulk sellers who do rely on eBay as fulltime income. eBay will eventually want to up their prices and rates. eBay is basically the mafia and is getting rid of the big guys competition. Then, when just the big dogs are left, they will put a stranglehold on them. "Hey, we got rid of the competition, so we want a little bit of a kickback." If you dont like it and complain about it, they hit your account with a restriction. So you call and complain more? Now youre suspended from selling again.

Sportsnutcards

May 4, 2009
Belmar, NJ
The only company right now that could take a large share of the sports ebay business would be beckett, but unfortunatly they don't seem to be in a poistion to do anything remotely close to that right now.

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
Sportsnutcards said:
The only company right now that could take a large share of the sports ebay business would be beckett, but unfortunatly they don't seem to be in a poistion to do anything remotely close to that right now.

Beckett won't even send me my validation link to activate my new account, and I've requested it 10 times. So no, Beckett trying to dethrone Ebay would be like Harry Potter without his wand taking on Brock Lesner in a UFC fight.

Members online

Latest posts