Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Persistence Pays Off - Harper Style

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imac220

Aug 14, 2008
Central PA
Today, a friend and I drove over to the Senators game mainly to get the stadium giveaway that they were giving to the first 1000 adults (they were gone 25 minutes after they opened the gates :shock: ) and we missed out. We were kinda bummed out, but still enjoyed the game even though they had two rain delays. After the game we decided to head down and get some autographs. We did super well:

Tony Beasley 2/2
Randy Tomlin 2/2
Devin Ivany 2/2
Tyler Moore 2/2
Josh Johnson 2/2
Leonard Davis 2/2
Cory Van Allen 2/2
Eric Arnesan 2/2
Shairon Martis 2/2
Carlos Martinez 2/2
Jimmy Barthmaier 2/2
Hassan Pena 2/2
Pat McCoy 2/2
Stephen King 4/4

but the main highlight involves Bryce Harper. After the game he came out with his hood up and hat down, and no one even recognized him...including me. My friend and I were playing wall ball with one of the player's sons, and when Bryce was walking back, I recognized him. I did not make a move for his autograph....yet. About 15 minutes later he came out again and was essentially mobbed by a crowd of about 20 people. He said "no, not today guys" and proceeded toward his car. Here, I had walked back to beside the player parking and approached him (as three "hounds" followed him. They finally briefly backed off and I asked "Bryce can you please sign my ball." He said "sure bud, come with me to my truck." I was pretty much in shock that I was talking to Bryce at this point and we walked to his truck where he began signing the ball and I asked "Anyway you could inscribe it "to Ian? I-A-N?" He said "Definately." He later went back into the clubhouse to board the bus, and as he was walking to the bus, he again deny'ed the same hounds, then I said "thanks again Bryce" and he pointed at me, then winked at the same time, smiled and got on the bus. The result:

IMG_0042.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
First Harper story that won't get trolled by 50 FBCers, thanks for sharing. Shows he does have a human side and probably is a nice guy. He probably signed for you because he recognized the kids you were playing wall-ball with and figured you weren't a 'hounder'. The word 'please' can go a LONG WAY. Good story.

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
C'mon, man - didn't you get the memo that Bryce is the biggest ****** bag out there? And overall just a really bad person ;) . Obviously being more than a little sarcastic here. Congrats on the autograph, and even more I'd like to commend you on the politeness you extended. After seeing a number of games in Hagerstown, Delmarva, and Harrisburg this year it just became such a crass display by the fans trampling over one another for an autograph, and shouting negative comments when they didn't secure one. I can understand why he would be a bit sour on signing at this point.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
What a beautiful autograph. I am usually not one to comment on Harper stuff. I think it is dumb to spend so much on a prospects auto. Before I get burnt at the stake I know I am the minority it is just my opinion. Very cool story and it is cool that you got a highly touted prospects auto. I had the same thing happen with Ozzie Smith. I ask nicely while everyone shoved stuff in his face he was about to go talk on stage so he asked if I could wait until he got done speaking "No problem Mr.Smith" I said so after he got done talking 50 people surounded him shovig stuff towards him I said "Mr.Smith you said you would sign for me" he says " I sure did bud, do you want it signed on the sweet spot or the side?" "Sweetspot" He then asks black or blue. Blue. He stops and signs a beautiful autograph for me. He then refuses everybody else who asked and that is why I am generally nice to everyone because kindness goes a long way.

A_Pharis

I gotta give you props, imac. Great way to hang back and be polite. Asking him to inscribe the ball is definitely the cherry on top as he probably realizes by now that an inscription means you aren't out for a buck. I gotta give you a "thanks". Hopefully, the guys that think it's normal to chase down players at red lights will read this and realize that it's them that makes player act like ********** to people wanting autos.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
I will feel bad for Harper when he gets to AAA syracuse. The people there are dicks to almost everyone. I got in an argument with a grapher who said he wanted to spit in Harper's face when he got there. I told him that Harper signs for a lot of people granted mostly kids and women but at least he signs and the guy had no response from it. There's a reason why I am probably done going after IP balls after this year because I don't want to deal with dicks anymore.

A_Pharis

mwashuc06 said:
I will feel bad for Harper when he gets to AAA syracuse. The people there are dicks to almost everyone. I got in an argument with a grapher who said he wanted to spit in Harper's face when he got there. I told him that Harper signs for a lot of people granted mostly kids and women but at least he signs and the guy had no response from it. There's a reason why I am probably done going after IP balls after this year because I don't want to deal with dicks anymore.

I know what you are saying, but man that last sentence could be worded differently.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I am hoping the Nats changed their mind about sending him to Arizona this fall. Those 6:35Pm games are going to a pain with all the dealers.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
so Bryce CAN sign his name without it looking like crap..hmmm must be the cheap cards topps is having him sign.

NICE pickup!

Kevin

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Couldn't you just sell it on ebay as is? I'm sure there is more than a few Ian's out there that love baseball and would love to have a Bryce Harper auto. Think about it. Mom and dad have slaved all week and haven't figured out what they are gonna get their son Ian for his birthday. So they pop on ebay and see this.......man they are gonna be the cats meow when they hand their son an personalized autographed baseball from the future HOF'er and alltime hit/RBI/HR king. Now thats awesome.

Members online

Latest posts