Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts On Making a Collector's Website

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
I'm posting this because every now and then I get PMs from members asking about my website and how they can go about making one of their own. While I'm more than happy to respond via PM, I thought this thread might be a good place for others to share their accumulated experience and wisdom.

As I tell people when they PM me, I'm more than happy to chat with collectors that are interested in building their own website. If you'd like to do that, feel free to PM me and I'll send you my Gmail chat and AIM screen names, so we can chat that way.

To be honest, I think my site is really pretty simple. As far as I'm concerned, there are a few keys to any nice site. I've learned a lot through trial and error over the years, and I'm happy to help out as much as I can.

Most importantly: I'm not at all a techie or a web guy, so if I can do it, so can you!

First, a few thoughts on the great benefits of having your own website. In other words, this is why you go through the time and effort to put your cards on line.

1. Photobucket sucks. Well, I use it too, but it's a really lousy way to store, display or (most importantly) view a collection. You put a lot of time, effort and money into your collection, right? Show it off!

2. It really helps you connect with your collection. Everyone goes through ups and downs as a collector, and the process of scanning and preparing your website will really help you connect. I mean, when was the last time you actually handled and looked at all of your cards? You'll need to do that, and it's sort of nice.

3. It helps connect you with other collectors and fans. I get emails all the time from other Will Clark collectors and fans. Here's one I got last week: "Great Will Clark gallery. He was my favorite player only wish he had played a little bit longer. Loved the eye black and intensity he brought to the game." I get them all the time, and they're always a treat. (I also get a few emails from people that think I am Will Clark, which is pretty funny.

4. It's a great checklist and virtual collection. I can view my entire collection from any computer and most phones. How cool is that? If I'm at a card show and can't remember if I have a particular card, I can easily surf to my website on my phone and check.

Here are my thoughts on actually creating your own website. This isn't a step-by-step "How To" but more of a list of ideas and thoughts on how to really show off your collection. If you have more nuts and bolts questions about the actual construction process, feel free to PM. (Or, maybe that will be another post, if there's interest.)

1. Good, clear, consistent scans. That's the reason we're at your website, so take the time to do it nice. Buy a good scanner and do them yourself. Don't simply take the eBay scans, either. Be sure your scans are consistent. If you have the lid up and a black background (as I prefer), do that for ALL your scans. Also, you really should take the cards out of their toploaders/penny sleeves. Show us the cards! That's why we're visiting. Be sure that you resize the images consistently. I have lots of mini and jumbo items, and I reduce everything to 40% of the original scan size. That way, the odd sized items are still the same relative size when compared to standard issues.

2. Keep your site simple and uncluttered. I'm partial to lots of white space and a simple main page. The various exploding whatevers, spinning somethingelses and other random web page clutter does nothing but make a page look amateurish, I think.

3. Graphics. I honestly think that many of the compliments I get are due to the graphics on the main page. I wish I could take credit for those, but a good friend does them for me. I tell him what I want, send him an image, and he does his thing. I suspect it's not a ton of work to make some nice graphics, but I haven't taken the time. Good, original graphics will make your page stand out, as they will appear only on your site, making it look more professional and serious.

4. Card presentation. I use a free program called Jalbum Jalbum to prepare the pages that display each of the card images. Jalbum is a fantastic program that is incredibly customizable. I know a bit about it, but still use maybe 5% of its capabilities. However you choose to display your scans, I really think it's important to have the cards clearly labeled. One thing I hate about photobucket is that it truncates the image title, so you can't see the whole thing. On my page, you can easily us CNTL-F to search for a particular card on that year's page. I find this really helpful for my own purposes, as it serves as my own checklist, allowing me to easily learn if I have or need a particular card.

One thing you may want to consider is including scans of your cards' backs. While I do not, many great collector sites do, and I think it's a nice touch. For me, it's mainly a function of cost v. benefit, as it would take me a loooong time to scan the backs. Still, it is something I may do down the road.

I'd also strongly suggest including both thumbnails and then larger images. I've been to some pages with only tiny images that are really difficult to see. Again, your visitors are at your site because they want to see your cards...so show them off!

5. Tell us something about you and why you collect what you do. I took a fair amount of time writing the "Info" page on my website, and I hope that others enjoy it. Gracecollector also has a nice intro to his website.

6. Get your own domain name and server space. I know freewebs (or whatever people are using now) is free, but I'd strongly suggest getting your own domain name, as it will make your website look more professional and serious. You spend hundreds (or thousands) of dollars a year on cardboard, you can afford a couple of $20 bills on a domain name and server space.

Ok, I guess that's about it for now. I'm sure I'll have more thoughts and ideas, and I hope that others add their own thoughts, lessons, suggestions and ideas. Please remember that my thoughts above are what worked (and work) for me. You may have completely different ideas, and I hope you follow them. Find what works for you, and for your collection. There are tons of things I'd like to change and improve on my own site, and I think it will always be a work in progress. It's been nothing but fun from day one, though.

Really, it's shockingly easy.

Good luck, and have fun!

Drew

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Thanks. One of my goals of this year is to make a website for my Hanley collection (1700 different cards and counting). There was a lot of good info in there that I plan on using.

G

Thanks for posting the jalbum link.

I just need to figure out how to get it onto my site.

Mike

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
MyPens66 said:
Thanks for posting the jalbum link.

I just need to figure out how to get it onto my site.

Mike

Be sure that you upload the entire folder for your album. I really don't know what all the files and documents are in there, but if you upload the entire thing, it should work. The "index" file will be the main page with all the thumbnails.

Also, be sure the album is working locally before you upload it. After you create or update your album, use the "preview" option to make sure it's working the way you want. I also think you can just browse to the "index" page on your hard drive and double click it. That should open the album in your browser. It will look just like it's online, but it will be reading the info locally from your computer.

I hope that helps. Jalbum is a wonderful program, but it does take a little getting used to.

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
Thanks for the help. Hopefully I will get some time one of these days to get my website back up and running :D

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
bump.gif

I'm bumping this because I'm still getting some PM's asking about websites. The PM's are great, but I figure some other people might want to see the original post.

Drew

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
Great advice and I really want to find some time to redue my cheesy site. I did some pretty good updates to the one in my sig, but I'm not good with HTML so I just did drag and drop.

sschauer

Aug 7, 2008
Covington, KY
Great stuff agree 100% get your own domain is key because search engines will comb through it. And for those afraid of the code part there are tons of programs with templates to use I use Microsoft Publisher for the front end of my site and the backend for the picture albums Thumbs Plus a lot like Jalbum in the pages it creates actually looked at jalbum also but went with thumbs because already owned it.

You will get more traffic and find more users with similar collections to trade with when you advertise it.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I have made this comment before, if any one wants my source let me know

http://nolanryancardmuseum.com/

its all database driven so once you get your cards in, everything else is form driven. It will allow you to list all current cards and then fill the holes when you need (as in 2009 cards when they come out.)

the inserts look like this

INSERT INTO table (`year`, `Make`, `number`, `model`, `extra`, `filepath`, `description`, `price`, `sn`) VALUES
(1968, 'Make', 'card#', 'model', 'additional Info', '0', 'description', '0', 999),
(1969, 'Make', 'card#', 'model', 'additional Info', '0', 'description', '0', 999),
(1970, 'Make', 'card#', 'model', 'additional Info', '0', 'description', '0', 999);

With a few hours on beckett and a few minutes with word, you should be able to come up with a complete player checklist in the above format.

That said, the code does not come with update support.

If anyone is interested send me a PM. If you get a domain and PHP/mysql support I can probably set your site up in a few minutes. You can then go modify images as you need them across the site. The layout will not change, but if you are willing to spend some time learning CSS you should be able to modify the color schemes and what not.

Also the site has not been SEO'ed at all.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I started using jalbum months ago. It makes life much easier in many ways and it does a good job, but it helps to have some tech skills on top of it to.

Thanks for all the info you posted, I think I now look at my "virtual cards" more than my real cards!

yakacack

Apr 13, 2009
Tampa, FL
I really wish more player collectors would make actual websites. Especially guys that collect "lesser" players as those websites would interest me the most. I have added the ones I've found to the links page on my own collection site and would love to have a giant list of player collection pages :)

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I could use some graphic design help for mine. Anyone do that sort of thing?

My site will highlight my four player collections:
*Will Clark
*Darin Erstad
*Bucky Jacobsen
*Eddie Murray

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
uniquebaseballcards said:
I started using jalbum months ago. It makes life much easier in many ways and it does a good job, but it helps to have some tech skills on top of it to.

Thanks for all the info you posted, I think I now look at my "virtual cards" more than my real cards!

i've been anxiously waiting for you to update the ginter portion of the site, but still nothing

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
yakacack said:
I really wish more player collectors would make actual websites. Especially guys that collect "lesser" players as those websites would interest me the most. I have added the ones I've found to the links page on my own collection site and would love to have a giant list of player collection pages :)

Mine = Coming sooner or later :lol:

Members online

Latest posts