Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tips for protecting the collection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
With the recent hurricane (as well as an Upper Deck facebook posting), I got to thinking what I would do to prepare for a hurricane, or flooding in terms of my collection.

Here is the hypothetical:

Say you had to evacuate. After you have taken care of the most important things, and had enough time to take care of your collection before leaving, how would you do it?

I am just curious to see the replies here. I have my own ideas as to how I would do it and I will post them (most likely edit this post) after the thread gets going.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
I always try to keep my higher end/meaningful/PC type stuff in the same box(es). If something like that ever came up it would be easy enough to grab them.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Most if not all would fit in the back of my truck. I need to buy a tarp but even a bed sheet would keep any of it from flying open or away. I'm not worried about our tv's or anything like that. In fact, in the event of a hurricane, the only things I'd take would be my collection and important documents(marriage license, proof of insurance, etc.). Everything else would easily be replaced by our homeowners. I'm actually probably going to get flood insurance too, even though it's not mandatory, simply because that way, unless they just flat out won't pay(like Katrina) I'm covered on all fronts.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm not in a flood/hurricane area, nor do I keep them in a basement, but if you were in these conditions wouldnt it be best to keep them in rubbermaid totes?

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
My collection is kept on the second floor of the house...If needed I have shelves in my closets that could get them 18-20 ft off ground level.

I'm about 100 miles from the shoreline so I don't have to worry to much.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Even though I am in the prime flood area of Minnesota, we live on top of the valley so we could see awful flooding in the area, but we wouldn't be the slightest bit affected, but it's just something I thought off.

If I were living in Florida, or the east coast, I would most likely have a truck with one of those bedcovers with the brackets in them. I would rubbermaid everything up and then make sure it was secure, and toss it in the bed. If I didn't have the room, I would get it as high off the ground as I could

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Water/Air-tight storage isn't a bad idea, this one costs about $21 at Office Max:
618.jpg

http://www.irisusainc.com/p-618-ucb-sd.aspx

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
Water/Air-tight storage isn't a bad idea, this one costs about $21 at Office Max:
618.jpg

http://www.irisusainc.com/p-618-ucb-sd.aspx

If a hurricane hits your home, well...let's just say, whatever you want to keep better be out of there. One of these might be okay for a couple of days. Little help though if it's floated 7 blocks over or if your roof came crashing down on it and broke it. Or, you might just get lucky enough to send a free gift rolling down the street via the wind.

I have a few rather large totes but I only really use them for any of my balls that are in cubes. You can pack those suckers in there nice and tight(and no, that doesn't sound good at all does it? ::facepalm:: :lol: ). Everything else is in boxes so all I have to do is load them up. If I was in a hurry, it might take maybe 2 hours and that would be being careful.

Latest posts