Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Andrew McCutchen hits #20....anyone surprised?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adamlind2011

Jun 19, 2011
I for one am surprised, especially with a month left. Is he a possible 30/30 canidate? I personally do not think so but would love to hear others' comments. Congrats Pirates fans, you got something to cheer about in this kid!

mannyramirezcollec

Apr 11, 2009
no_clones_gif.gif

Adamlind2011

Jun 19, 2011
scotty21690 said:
He's no Jacoby Ellsbury..... ;)
Ellsbury is having a great year, no argument there but I would contend that this years' power surge is a mere fluke. It wouldn't surprise me to see him back in single digit homeruns next season as in 2008 and 2009.

McCutchen on the other hand, has increased his totals in several offensive categories every year in his very young 3 year MLB career. I think we need to see a few more years of both before we can support either side on who is better.

...and by the way, both are a far 2nd to Mr. 30/30 Matt Kemp

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I am a bit surprised at his power this year. I am not surprised that Neil Walker has been every bit as good as Cutch this year. Pitts future is looking up

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
The power has been nice. I think that he's been a bit underwhelming as far as stolen bases and just in general though he has been solid. Just really quiet this year.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
Topnotchsy said:
The power has been nice. I think that he's been a bit underwhelming as far as stolen bases and just in general though he has been solid. Just really quiet this year.

If you want to call being one of the 5 or so best position players in the league "solid" and "quiet", well OK then.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
craftysouthpaw said:
Topnotchsy said:

If you want to call being one of the 5 or so best position players in the league "solid" and "quiet", well OK then.

What I am saying is that he has been really good, but done it "quietly" without any really gaudy stats.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I'm more surprised at his lack of a higher stolen base total. He's one of the fastest players in the game. I mean the guy has gotten on base more than 208 times and has garnered 20 stolen bases? Does he not have a green light?

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
I'm more surprised at his lack of a higher stolen base total. He's one of the fastest players in the game. I mean the guy has gotten on base more than 208 times and has garnered 20 stolen bases? Does he not have a green light?

Bernie Williams come to mind as another guy who had awesome speed but wasnt a good base stealer. That could be the problem.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
jcmint said:
sportscardtheory said:

Bernie Williams come to mind as another guy who had awesome speed but wasnt a good base stealer. That could be the problem.

Mccutchen stole 33 last year. I don't think he has any problem stealing bases. He has been moved back and forth between the lead off spot and the cleanup spot. He might be the only player in the league that is his teams best option in both of those holes. I wouldn't read a lot into the stole bases. I bet next year you see those back in the mid 30's.

scotty21690 said:

this is EXACTLY what i thought!!!

i dont see jacobys power as a fluke i see him growing as a hitter and using the full field better. staying back will allow him to sling the ball to the left side and both the alleys while demolishing the inner quarter to half of the plate while pulling the ball. he will also pick up some cheapies playing in boston... i dont expect him to hit 30 but 20 a year is easy and an added bonus to his game.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Adamlind2011 said:
scotty21690 said:
Ellsbury is having a great year, no argument there but I would contend that this years' power surge is a mere fluke. It wouldn't surprise me to see him back in single digit homeruns next season as in 2008 and 2009.

I would really like to take you up on that bet. Actually I would bet my whole collection on that! You obviously haven't seen him play that much this season, because he is not only living up to his expectations but exceeding them. I don't expect him to hit 25 home runs every season but he has some decent pop in his bat. No one ever thought he would hit for power because he would hit for average instead, but this year he is having no problem doing both. This is all coming from our LEADOFF hitter, so you really can't beat that kind of production from that spot.

Well said, Clint!

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
scotty21690 said:
Adamlind2011 said:
scotty21690 said:

I would really like to take you up on that bet. Actually I would bet my whole collection on that! You obviously haven't seen him play that much this season, because he is not only living up to his expectations but exceeding them. I don't expect him to hit 25 home runs every season but he has some decent pop in his bat. No one ever thought he would hit for power because he would hit for average instead, but this year he is having no problem doing both. This is all coming from our LEADOFF hitter, so you really can't beat that kind of production from that spot.

Well said, Clint!
Agreed, Andrew has always shown some sort of pop and has a sweet swing. He has progressively gotten better each season and I think we are gonna see a blow out season soon entering his prime!

And Braun is being overlooked right now IMO (not to take away from how good McCuthen is)

asw37

Mar 9, 2010
speaking of Cutch, does anybody know how many aflac mcuttchen autos were truly redeemed? I heard 90, but not entirely sure. I have a feeling that card will explode in the not too distant future.

wolters03

Feb 14, 2011
St. Paul, MN
I think we have to throw Justin Upton into the discussion if we are talking about 30/30 candidates. He has 26 homers and 20 stolen bases with a month to go. He will probably end the season with 32 homers and 24-25 steals. Not bad for a guy who just turned 24 6 days ago.

He is definately behind Kemp and Braun at this point, but right in line with the stats Ellsbury and Mccutchen are putting up.

Members online

Latest posts