Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

September 11, 2001...We Will Remember. We Will Never Forget.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
I felt the need to post this in the Baseball talk section because of it's obvious signifigance as it by far exceeds a "general chat."

I will not and cannot ever forget this day. I was shocked and depressed for days and those are feelings I've never had before nor since. I sit here solemnly as I type this.

God Bless all of those who were lost on that devilish day and those who lost loved ones as well. My prayers are extended to each and every American as we all reflect back on the worst day in our Country's history.

Please feel free to add anything you'd like.

God Bless our Great Country.

[youtube:vrx3wckt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNrdmjcNTc[/youtube:vrx3wckt]

9-11-2001.jpg

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Was just unreal watching what was going on. I was living at home and working midnight shift. I got home and went to bed. My mom woke me up and yelled to turn on the tv. I asked "what channel?", she said "it don't matter!"

It's also my birthday, FWIW.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
RZimm11 said:
Was just unreal watching what was going on. I was living at home and working midnight shift. I got home and went to bed. My mom woke me up and yelled to turn on the tv. I asked "what channel?", she said "it don't matter!"

It's also my birthday, FWIW.

I came up the stairs at my parents house to head to my first class of the day. My parents told me what had happened, I listened on the radio on the way and I remember listening when the first building collapsed. When I pulled myself together, I looked in my rearview mirror in the parking garage and I was holding up about 5 cars...no one was honking.

I parked and went to class. He told us to go home.

I went home and watched the news all day and night...I still lose it 10 years later everytime I listen to the victims or their loved ones. I was forever changed.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I was really too young to comprehend what happened but I do remember 9/11/01. I probably still can't grasp the entire situation. Last night, I sat and watched the live news reports of what happened. I also listened to our local anchorman, Mike Pomeranz. He was the local CBS anchor in New York on 9/11.

9/11 has a small personal impact on me. I didn't find out until about 2-3 years ago that I was supposed to have family in that complex that day. Thankfully, something happened and they weren't there.

I was 7 (I believe) when the attacks happened. It would have been my first week of 2nd grade. The attacks would have happened most likely on my way to school. Our teacher then was one who didn't care for technology, so instead of turning the TV on, she sat us down in front of a US map and pointed to what was probably Boston and said "Some very bad things happened in this part of the world today." Those words are ingrained in my memory. After school, I was at a friends house. His mom had the TV on and I can remember watching the people running from the building, but I had no idea what was happening.

So no, I will never forget 9/11 for as long as I live. Especially some of the footage I watched in the last couple years of people jumping out of the windows. It makes me sick to my insides when I think about all the loss of life. My heart goes out to the families of the ones who America lost.

One thing is for sure, now whenever a major event happens, I drop whatever I am doing to watch the report. Whether it was the Bridge Collapse, Ft. Hood, Irene, Katrina, Osama, the Pope's death, whatever, I make sure I am glued to the TV.

danimal

Dec 28, 2009
9/11 was the day I "grew up". I was in my 1st year of law school and walked out of legal research and writing and there was a huge crowd spilling out of the student lounge and I saw the TV for the 1st time that day just as the 1st tower fell. My roommate from my last 2 years of of undergrad was in the WTS for his second day of training with Morgan Stanley, he luckily made it out safely. I didn't sleep that night and the next day went to the Navy recruiting center and applied for OCS and I shipped out for training 8 months later. That was the easiest and best decision I ever made in my life.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Randy
I'm about to be apart of a event here in my town. Myself and about 50 plus volunteers are going to put out 2977 empty shoes for all that those that have died on this day. A woman her in my town came up with this idea since the town was not going to honor this day.
We will also read all the names of those that died as well.
Also since this day I have tried to be a better man and help my fellow man. It is what we all should do, even before this day.

Jheywardfan

Apr 25, 2010
Arlington, TX
Man!!......what a day! I was working an early morning banquet at the Ballpark in Arlington(Rangers Stadium). I just got done putting out the breakfast buffet in the museum(downstairs from the restaurant) after the first plane hit and the 50 people or so in the conference had no idea what had happened. I went upstairs to grab some more coffee and saw one of my co-workers watching the news. Not 2 minutes later, the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower as we were watching CNN's live feed. By the time I brought the coffee downstairs, the group was scrounging to get all of their things picked up. I went back upstairs and they had announced the evacuation of the Ballpark being a national landmark. Later that day, some friends and I went to have lunch at Taco Bell. We ordered our food and sat down in silence. We never touched our food and ended up leaving about 30 minutes later, It truly hit me when you just looked around and didnt see many cars in the street and not a single airplane in the sky.

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND THE MEN AND WOMEN THAT RISKED THEIR LIVES THAT DAY AS WELL AS ANYBODY ELSE IMPACTED. I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I usually don't talk about this much but at that time my offices where in Rockefeller center here in Manhattan. We had a smoking deck on the roof and several of my co-worker where up there when the first plane hit. They didnt see the impact but obviously heard it.

I got a call to come up with my binoculars that they think something is on fire there. The rest is still a bit much to talk about but as you can imagine and have seen yourself it was pretty much that, in person :( . I seen the 2nd plane hit and I knew it was time to go.

All the bridges where shut down and they actually wanted me to go downtown and pass the WTC when I literally at that time lived on the other side of the bridge I was at. They wanted me to go all the way downtown then into Brooklyn and then around to Queens. As I stood there showing a cop my id proving I lived right over the bridge we felt the ground rumble and the cops radios went crazy, that was the first building falling, at this point I thought it was a bomb no way could the WTC fall. All I knew I was not walking downtown past whatever just happened and I just walked over the bridge and the cops obviously where distracted. I was maybe 3/4 the way over the 59st bridge and I felt another rumble and I started noticing a dust cloud taking over the city behind me.

That night I met up with a few volunteer firemen I knew to help down there cause it was just too much to watch on tv and read on the internet. I only slipped by for 2 days before they started kicking us non-emergency workers out where able to sneak in to help. But to this day the only way to describe it is "unreal". Everything about it was just too much to take in at once. And its only been in the last year or so I can talk about some of it. It was just soooo much sadness all around. And what I remember the most was how that fire wouldn't go out down there and seemed to be smoking for almost 8 months or so and being a constant reminder cause everywhere you went you smelled smoke.

I wont be watching any of the coverage, but what I have seen has made me smile which is good. I seen a nice news piece on some of the families and how they are now and its was great to see them happy as I am sure its been hard.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Thanks for posting this. I wish I could put into words the appreciation I have for our soldiers that have been stationed overseas. Like every other American I was scared and upset when I heard what was happening, but if it wasn't for the troops there could have been so many more attacks. Thank God for the troops and God Bless them all!

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
nyc3 said:
I usually don't talk about this much but at that time my offices where in Rockefeller center here in Manhattan. We had a smoking deck on the roof and several of my co-worker where up there when the first plane hit. They didnt see the impact but obviously heard it.

I got a call to come up with my binoculars that they think something is on fire there. The rest is still a bit much to talk about but as you can imagine and have seen yourself it was pretty much that, in person :( . I seen the 2nd plane hit and I knew it was time to go.

All the bridges where shut down and they actually wanted me to go downtown and pass the WTC when I literally at that time lived on the other side of the bridge I was at. They wanted me to go all the way downtown then into Brooklyn and then around to Queens. As I stood there showing a cop my id proving I lived right over the bridge we felt the ground rumble and the cops radios went crazy, that was the first building falling, at this point I thought it was a bomb no way could the WTC fall. All I knew I was not walking downtown past whatever just happened and I just walked over the bridge and the cops obviously where distracted. I was maybe 3/4 the way over the 59st bridge and I felt another rumble and I started noticing a dust cloud taking over the city behind me.

That night I met up with a few volunteer firemen I knew to help down there cause it was just too much to watch on tv and read on the internet. I only slipped by for 2 days before they started kicking us non-emergency workers out where able to sneak in to help. But to this day the only way to describe it is "unreal". Everything about it was just too much to take in at once. And its only been in the last year or so I can talk about some of it. It was just soooo much sadness all around. And what I remember the most was how that fire wouldn't go out down there and seemed to be smoking for almost 8 months or so and being a constant reminder cause everywhere you went you smelled smoke.

I wont be watching any of the coverage, but what I have seen has made me smile which is good. I seen a nice news piece on some of the families and how they are now and its was great to see them happy as I am sure its been hard.

Thank you for sharing. I can't fathom what you witnessed that day.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
markakis8 said:
Thank you for sharing. I can't fathom what you witnessed that day.

It was really weird to this day I dont understand how I helped out for 2 days. It was almost an outer body experience and I just wanted to do something to help. Things I cant un-see didn't effect me like they should have which was weird. It was almost as if I was acting the part of an emergency response team :lol: I cant even imagine what those guys went and go through still to this day. There where guys who stayed down there for 2-3 weeks straight with little or no sleep.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
RIP to my cousin Tim Brynes. He walked on to Syracuse football and played with the championship team. He worked at Cantor Fitzgerald. He was the oldest of ten children who after my uncle Patrick died young really was the glue to his eight brothers and one sister.
Not a day goes by where I do not think about what he endured that day and the thoughts that went thru his head. Nothing was ever found of him and the empty casket was gut wrenching. I still cant hear bagpipes without getting emotional. I dont talk about this much just because well I really dont know I just dont feel good enough too.

Everyone should really take sometime tomorrow and reflect and remember everything about 9/11.

Some guys I work with and I volunteered to go to ground zero and help out with the electric there which was a mess.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I have been at the the tops of the towers and still wear my "I love NY" shirt (although in terrable condition, that I bought on top of them.

I was in new york probably 2 months later and couldnt get within 2 miles of ground zero.

scan0015.jpg

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
There is a special place in my heart that will forever be filled with utter hatred for those bastards that did this. This is a day I will never forget and forever changed by life and the path I was going.

nyc3- Thought it can't really be put into words, that was an awesome thing that you did that only a certain type of person would have been able to do. Thank you for helping in the best way you could.

RIP to those that passed on that most evil day.

On 9/11/01 I was a 10 year veteran of the NYPD and saw my share of the ugly side of humanity... So I thought...
That day I ended my tour at 6:05AM just 1 block south of the South Tower. I went home kissed my wife, and went to bed. For some reason I awoke from a sound sleep, I got up to use the bathroom and saw the news coverage of plane that hit the WTC. I immediately called work and asked for an update. I got the one person left in my command to answer phones "Joe everyone left and no one has come back, its pretty bad." I told him I'm on my way in. After leaving my wife at the door in tears, begging me not to go, I raced to the WTC. I arrived as the second tower fell. It was hell. It was my worst nightmare. I was one cop trying to save the world, and not doing a very good job of it. Back home my wife saw both towers fall on TV. She knew I had enough time to get there. She knew what type of cop I was, I would be in the middle of it. The TV stations broadcast that thousands of firefighters and police officers are feared dead. My family gathered at my house and prayed for a miracle. They knew even when I was hurt at work I would always call (or have a nurse call) to let them know I was alright. They waited for that call. After a few hours they started to realize there was a good chance I was not coming home. On 9/11 all land lines in lower Manhattan were knocked out. Almost all cell phones were out as well (I had Nextell at the time). It was shortly before midnight when I saw another officer shouting into his hand. I climbed over to him and asked if I could borrow his phone for a few seconds. I called home and my wife answered. I told her I was OK and I would be home as soon as I could. Two days later I walked through the door. Every year the anniversary takes more out of me. I was forced to leave a job I loved due to my injuries I received during 9/11. My world changed that day, but I walked away. I was lucky, no more, no less, just lucky.....

God Bless the men and women who gave their lives that day in an effort to save others.....
God Bless the men and women who live with terrible illnesses as a result of their service at the World Trade Center....
God Bless the men and women who fight to keep this country free....
God Bless America

:grouphug:

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:

Thank you for sharing. Your story shows not only how brave you are but how truly amazin you are ;) I know some of you guys dont like to hear thank you as you had to do it for reasons most cant comprehend. But thank you. Its people like you and your peers who helped us all through that dark moment. And hopefully it wasn't so dark that you guys didn't miss how you changed the world by showing braveness and sacrificing many things. The world noticed, it was and still is felt and appreciated.

jlvjr16

Aug 13, 2008
On 9/11/01 I was a 10 year veteran of the NYPD and saw my share of the ugly side of humanity... So I thought...
That day I ended my tour at 6:05AM just 1 block south of the South Tower. I went home kissed my wife, and went to bed. For some reason I awoke from a sound sleep, I got up to use the bathroom and saw the news coverage of plane that hit the WTC. I immediately called work and asked for an update. I got the one person left in my command to answer phones "Joe everyone left and no one has come back, its pretty bad." I told him I'm on my way in. After leaving my wife at the door in tears, begging me not to go, I raced to the WTC. I arrived as the second tower fell. It was hell. It was my worst nightmare. I was one cop trying to save the world, and not doing a very good job of it. Back home my wife saw both towers fall on TV. She knew I had enough time to get there. She knew what type of cop I was, I would be in the middle of it. The TV stations broadcast that thousands of firefighters and police officers are feared dead. My family gathered at my house and prayed for a miracle. They knew even when I was hurt at work I would always call (or have a nurse call) to let them know I was alright. They waited for that call. After a few hours they started to realize there was a good chance I was not coming home. On 9/11 all land lines in lower Manhattan were knocked out. Almost all cell phones were out as well (I had Nextell at the time). It was shortly before midnight when I saw another officer shouting into his hand. I climbed over to him and asked if I could borrow his phone for a few seconds. I called home and my wife answered. I told her I was OK and I would be home as soon as I could. Two days later I walked through the door. Every year the anniversary takes more out of me. I was forced to leave a job I loved due to my injuries I received during 9/11. My world changed that day, but I walked away. I was lucky, no more, no less, just lucky.....

God Bless the men and women who gave their lives that day in an effort to save others.....
God Bless the men and women who live with terrible illnesses as a result of their service at the World Trade Center....
God Bless America

Wow...I never knew this of you Amazin' Collector.....But I understand the hype that you were in..at the moment of 9/11/2001...The hype is your job was to be in the "Adrenaline.."...In my case... I worked in KYC..for a commercial bank..AML Cases.. I worked on..for a great six years...got some great stuff from stuff I worked on and now I work at BOA...in Office of Foreign Asset Control...It's just how back in the days..banks used to take clients for granted.

Jheywardfan

Apr 25, 2010
Arlington, TX

God Bless America

WOW! This almost had me in tears....until I saw the question in your sig! Thanks for sharing! Amazing story!!

Members online

Latest posts