Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[Mailday!] DK Recollection Autos & a thank you!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_Pharis

First up, I've actually had this one in for a couple of weeks, but I have been lazy with scanning.
My collection has always covered 1982 - 1991 DK buybacks. The main reason I never thought of including 1992 is because of the change in style. Well, there's another reason. The highest SN# in the 1992 versions is /3. It also includes Ripken, Thomas and a few other big names. Ugh...

Well, I decided to go ahead and start it and just leave expansion room when I get my collection framed.

[center:24c89yl7]
Baines_Reco2.jpg

#1/1[/center:24c89yl7]

Next, I got contacted by a one Mr. George Calfas a few days ago letting me know he had run across an Ozzie Smith DK Recollection auto from 82 #'d to 14 and asked if I needed it. Well, a few things were running through my mind:

(1) Yes, I'd love it.
(2) Yes, I'd want it.
(3) Calfas is a huge Cards fan (but this one pictures him as a Padre)
(4) I already owned the 87 buyback (with him as a Card) so I didn't want to skimp George on a card I knew he could make money on.

So I offered him to let me know what he needed for it, and he just said to go ahead and consider it mine -- we'll "work it out later". I didn't think much else on it, expecting him to pop in and say "I want this," and today that happened. He asked me this morning what I thought it was worth. I gave him a conservative baseline price, and he replied hoping it'd be worth more. I told him a ton of factors make these things fluctuate, and that's why my price was baseline. I also let him know that if he wanted to maximize his profit that I wouldn't expect him to cut value just for me. I asked him to put it on eBay, and I'd put in my fair bids and just hope to pick it up.

Well, I was more than slightly surprised to find this in my mailbox today:

[center:24c89yl7]
Oz_Reco2.jpg

#2 /14[/center:24c89yl7]

Now, I realize the PM this morning was to find out if I had received it, yet. Now I have this unbridled urge to return the gesture...
Thanks, George.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I'm gonna say 2001 ;)

BTW, Adam, great addition and George, awesome gesture!

AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
I have one in my PC, not sure what year.

Vlad 1/3
scan0004.jpg

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
My pleasure to help a set collector.........and mess with you a tad bit. You desire it (maybe the card, maybe the messing, or maybe both idk).

A_Pharis

E: Not as of yet. Chris requested a pic of me with the set, and that's about it.

George: I admit, I was gonna be a little let down, but I wasn't going to let you leave money on the table if you really were interested in selling. :)

But thank you! It's in its rightful place.

Members online

Latest posts