Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is your largest failed prospect stash??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about failure. Everyone is always showing off stashes of prospects who are on fire or on the rise, but you never hear much about the stashes that never worked out. Kind of like the gambler who never tells you when he loses $1000 only when he wins $500.

Here is mine. Started buying up Jeffress stuff when I got back into the hobby about 5+ years ago, and I am still waiting for a glimmer of success for this kid so I can dump some of his stuff.

jeffress.jpg

JeffressAflac95s.jpg

jeffresspara.jpg

JeffressREF95.jpg

jeffresssterl.jpg

JeffressSterling95s.jpg

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Not a complete fail quite yet but it's starting to look pretty bad for my Ryan Strieby stash unless he can make some noise in Spring Training next year.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Hernan Irribarren, but they all got stolen during my break-in, so I actually probably made money.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
Not a total failure and he has had a good season with the Rays. However, his stock really slipped during his time with the Sox and M's. Here's a few which I have scanned...
kotchgoldbat.jpg

kotchmanbc.jpg

kotchmanbcref.jpg

kotchrare95.jpg

kotchxfrac.jpg

kotchmanudpp.jpg

kotchmanusa.jpg

kotchmanbowbestauto.jpg

kotch3.jpg

kotch1.jpg

KOTCHRED.jpg

kotchmangoldref.jpg

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
Crewfan82 said:
I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about failure. Everyone is always showing off stashes of prospects who are on fire or on the rise, but you never hear much about the stashes that never worked out. Kind of like the gambler who never tells you when he loses $1000 only when he wins $500.

Here is mine. Started buying up Jeffress stuff when I got back into the hobby about 5+ years ago, and I am still waiting for a glimmer of success for this kid so I can dump some of his stuff.

Nice to see someone post a prospecting failure of this size. Not that I am happy it didn't work out for you to date, but nice to see another view of prospecting that many don't usually see. Great stash of cards however!

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I have a good number of Kris Benson graded rooks that I refuse to let see the light of day. A handful of key Brackman cards that are starting to fester. And a decent stash of Jason Heyward's that may need to be moved before everyone realizes he's flaming out.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Crewfan82 said:

I actively collect Jeffress, so you're not the only one holding onto his stuff. I just do it for my Jeremy collection, though, so it's not like I'm really prospecting his stuff. Same thing with Jeremy Barfield from 2011 Bowman (although I did well grabbing Jeremy Hellickson 2006 Chromes for 10¢ before he came up!).

My worst prospecting experience happened back in 1993, when I was buying Kirk Reuter RCs for well over BV. I remember paying $8 for his Select R/T RC, back when it was the hottest card on the market. You can probably buy all of them that were ever made fo $8 now.

Mrpokey

Jan 30, 2011
Garrison Lassiter
Colton Willems
Cyle Hankerd
Julio Borbon
Destin Hood

Those are the first ones that pop into my head

Mr.1989

Dec 19, 2010
CollectorsCorner said:
Not giving up hope yet but I have a Jiovanni Mier stash that isn't looking to good.
Hey, if you want an autographed ball of his, I have one. Certified. ;)

Members online

Latest posts