Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Grading advice 67 Brooks Robinson

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
Pick this up at a flea market really inexpensively. Do you guys think I should grade it or flip it raw? I usually submit to BGS, should I go PSA with this? Any opinions are welcome, thanks.

robinsonfront.jpg
robinsonback.jpg

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
Are you sure that is not a reprint? The green color on the back is almost too sharp/crisp compared to other images on ebay & google. The black line below the Printed in USA does not extend to the edge of white box (this could be a printing error).

Lifelongfan

Aug 7, 2008
I think on those reprints they put the year of production on the back of the card...it was one of the only ways to tell sometimes. The card looks clean...maybe 7.5 or 8.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
something looks "off" about the card. Keep in mind this is a pretty high dollar card. Measure it quite well to see if it's been trimmed.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
If you ARE going to get it graded, go PSA - BGS is not the way to go with vintage.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
KLARNOLD said:
Are you sure that is not a reprint? The green color on the back is almost too sharp/crisp compared to other images on ebay & google. The black line below the Printed in USA does not extend to the edge of white box (this could be a printing error).

The color might be a little distorted by the color correction on my scanner, although when I purchased it I thought it was bright. I matched it up with other 67's I have and it's awfully close if not an exact match with some of the higher grade versions I have. As for the line, I had noticed that too, but looking at other 67 backs those lines can be all over the place.

It is a situation where it may seem to good to be true, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it were a reprint. I'll have to sub it to find out I guess.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
something looks "off" about the card. Keep in mind this is a pretty high dollar card. Measure it quite well to see if it's been trimmed.

It measures out.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:

+1

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
rookieaddict said:
Pick this up at a flea market really inexpensively. Do you guys think I should grade it or flip it raw? I usually submit to BGS, should I go PSA with this? Any opinions are welcome, thanks.

robinsonback.jpg
02361539.jpg

I added a PSA6 to the right for comparison.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
George_Calfas said:
rookieaddict said:

robinsonback.jpg
02361539.jpg

Looks like I may have gambled and lost. May still submit to get a definitive answer.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
rookieaddict said:
George_Calfas said:
rookieaddict said:

robinsonback.jpg
02361539.jpg

Looks like I may have gambled and lost. May still submit to get a definitive answer.

Might be the only way to know.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Reprints are often less thick than the original version, if you have 67s floating around, look and see the thickness of the card. Also holding a flashlight up to the card sometimes shows thin paperstock by the amount of light you can see through the card.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I agree something looks off on it. If you ever saw that episode of Pawn Stars where the guy brought in some 67 Pete Roses that looked so fake it came through the screen, it's not quite like that but some alarms are ringing. Too bright whites, and the overall condition is to nice to be a flea market find, in my cynical mind.

In any case, PSA is the way to go on that card. 1967 is one of the most popular and competitive sets on the Registry. It wouldn't 9, but probably 8.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
George_Calfas said:
rookieaddict said:

robinsonback.jpg
02361539.jpg

You had said this card measured out? Because if you look at the psa 6, the green border on the left and right of the white statistics box are both thicker than on your raw one. And by a considerable, noticable, margin. Could anything possibly make that happen besides trimming?

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
matfanofold said:
George_Calfas said:
rookieaddict said:

robinsonback.jpg
02361539.jpg

You had said this card measured out? Because if you look at the psa 6, the green border on the left and right of the white statistics box are both thicker than on your raw one. And by a considerable, noticable, margin. Could anything possibly make that happen besides trimming?

Not sure, I'll remeasure it when I get home tonight

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
Here's some pics, it measures up. But the stock looks too clean on the edges, too white.

e378726b.jpg

234e3132.jpg

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Im not an expert on modern counterfeits, more of one with PreWar...

But Ive seen that overrated card for 35 years now.. ans within 1 second it looked way off

The back is way too white, and the stock looks too smooth and thin (ie modern card stock rather than the lower quality 44 years old stock they used.
Plus it was sold Raw, a minor red flag, but still a red flag
Any flea market clown knows what a Topps card is worth, they have the internet

the good thing is the print is very crisp, but I still cant get over the colors being way off

If you have other 1967T cards, grab 2-3 of them add them with the BRoby and scan the backs all in the same scan

Also Like someone said .....use a powerful light (backlit) and compare it with another common 1967T

PS, that card sold for more money 25 years ago than it does today, so I guess it is not so overrated anymore....

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
After comparing the front to other scans, the card has many of the same problems as PreWar counterfeits. The light parts of the card are too white compared to the dark parts. the first thing I see is the bat (at top) is nearly the same color as the border, while an authentic card the bat is the normal yellow/brown wood color far from the color of the white border. This fact alone points to the card being a counterfeit. Many fakers cant get the contrast right after they re-screen the image when making these.

also on a small point......... the borders are too narrow, also a common fault of counterfeits, they have trouble getting the projection right and when cut to size the border are often too wide or too narrow.

Members online

Latest posts