Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Valiant vs. Chrome (rare parallels)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I'm sure there are plenty of people who are sick of the comparisons, and plenty of others who will say that they should not be compared at all. If you are one of those, please click out of the thread now, and I apologize if I have wasted your time.

As many others, I've been watching both Chrome and Valiant. With the release of Draft last week we can now compare actual numbers.

A single example, both /5:

Trevor Bauer Red Refractor Auto - BO $880 (another is at auction at $500 with time left)

$(KGrHqZ,!nkE63U,g-DYBOzGhuC!,Q~~60_12.JPG

Trevor Bauer Valiant Black Refractor Auto - $83

$(KGrHqR,!lgE5uuTHB48BOuuz!WtJQ~~60_3.JPG

On a side note, does anyone know what Bauer wrote at the end of his signature on the Valiant card?

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
Do you have a price on a Leaf Metal Chrome Red Refractor /5? I think the Metals are good looking as well and should be compared if Valiants are.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
i remember when the top players in 08 draft like posey etc were getting more than 800 for their golds and like 4k plus for their reds....oh wossa..............so 800 for a top player's red this year doesnt seem TOO bad

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Javier Baez /25

Leaf Metal - $25.00
$(KGrHqR,!h!E6Zf-pYFIBOu2TONO6g~~60_3.JPG

Leaf Valient - $25.00
$(KGrHqIOKo0E6e52W4SUBOyBNoCjYg~~60_12.JPG

Bowman Chrome - $125.50 ( 2 days left )
$(KGrHqRHJBUE63VVIkriBOzVoemgi!~~60_12.JPG

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Don't forget to take into consideration the odds of pulling one vs the other. MUCH more BDP out there to rip. I think when Sterling is released it will be at least a little closer to a fair comparison.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Ty Hope said:
Don't forget to take into consideration the odds of pulling one vs the other. MUCH more BDP out there to rip. I think when Sterling is released it will be at least a little closer to a fair comparison.

Definitely a valid point, though I wonder how much this will matter in the long run. I think that people tend to forget things like that over time, and work based on the scarcity. Of course it would depend a lot on how well accepted the Leaf releases become.

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
im pretty unimpressed with the value of anything "Leaf". It seems the only people who give a damn about Brian's products are on FCB. It's really too bad because it's a nice set and all. Without an MLBPA and MLB license though, the Leaf brand will never be of secondary value.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
sneekc said:
im pretty unimpressed with the value of anything "Leaf". It seems the only people who give a damn about Brian's products are on FCB. It's really too bad because it's a nice set and all. Without an MLBPA and MLB license though, the Leaf brand will never be of secondary value.

Which is why they are great for player collectors in their PCs. Can't say much for prospectors though.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
George_Calfas said:
[quote="Bob Loblaw":gf4sih53]Wait until there are another 2 parallel /25 Leaf autos.
mban2429l.jpg
[/quote:gf4sih53]

He has beaten the dead more than Rick Grimes.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Topnotchsy said:
Ty Hope said:

Definitely a valid point, though I wonder how much this will matter in the long run. I think that people tend to forget things like that over time, and work based on the scarcity. Of course it would depend a lot on how well accepted the Leaf releases become.

How valid do you think it is? Sterling is $50/pack.

The bottom line is licensing, plain & simple. As long as Leaf is unlicensed the collector majority will never take it seriously, just like Classic, Press Pass, Sage etc in the past. This will never change. As soon as licensed versions of the unlicensed players hit the market collector interest will fall from low to lower. For a prospector unlicensed cards are a loosing proposition.

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
allstars said:
Topnotchsy said:
Ty Hope said:

How valid do you think it is? Sterling is $50/pack.

The bottom line is licensing, plain & simple. As long as Leaf is unlicensed the collector majority will never take it seriously, just like Classic, Press Pass, Sage etc in the past. This will never change. As soon as licensed versions of the unlicensed players hit the market collector interest will fall from low to lower. For a prospector unlicensed cards are a loosing proposition.

Elite cards are photoshopped because they have no licensing and they are pretty popular with the collecting community. For example, Matt Moore elite autographs sell for the same as his base chrome autographs.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Well, maybe it will take some time for the name and brand to catch on like Elite. More options for the collector is not a bad thing IMO. Hell, they are great looking cards with on-card autos! What more can you ask of a non-license product? No one is forced to buy any.

And everyone here knows Leaf and I have had issues. I love their recent efforts though.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Jared said:
Elite cards are photoshopped because they have no licensing and they are pretty popular with the collecting community. For example, Matt Moore elite autographs sell for the same as his base chrome autographs.

Yes but if I'm not mistaken Elite base autos are numbered no?

Titans74

Oct 28, 2010
sneekc said:

QFT

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
Titans74 said:
sneekc said:

QFT

What?

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
sneekc said:
Titans74 said:
sneekc said:

QFT

What?

It means "quote for truth"

Latest posts