Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A few things from my father (long read)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
My wife and I went to Cincinnati this past weekend to spend some time with my father and to go to RedsFest. We were there from Thursday until Sunday evening.

My father and I are both from Cincinnati, born and raised. We’re lifelong Reds and Bengals fans, but we’re also just big time sports fans. He collected when he was younger, but he collected more than just cards; ticket stubs, scorecards, newspaper clipping, signed scraps or paper, and a slew of other miscellaneous items.

He’s always given me different thing to add to my collection. He gave me a ticket stub from Game 2 of the 1969 World Series as well as a ticket stub from 30 July 1978, which was game 43 of Pete Rose’s 44 game hitting streak. As a Pete Rose collector, that is an awesome addition to my collection.

Well this time he gave me several really cool things to add to my collection, including another really big addition to my Reds collection.

First, is a ticket from Game 3 of the 1966 World Series between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Baltimore Orioles.
lg_1966WorldSeriesTicket1.jpg

On the back, it’s signed by Maury Wills
lg_1966WorldSeriesTicket2.jpg

Then, he had several slips of paper signed by various Reds players.

Bernie Carbo
lg_BernieCarbo.jpg

Clay Carroll
lg_ClayCarroll.jpg

John Edwards
lg_JohnEdwards.jpg

Pedro Borbon
lg_PedroBorbon.jpg

Wayne Granger
lg_WayneGranger.jpg

He gave me a certificate from 17 August 1984. It was presented at Riverfront Stadium for those in attendance because it was Pete Rose’s first game as Player/Manager of the Reds.
lg_PeteRoseCertificate.jpg

Next are a couple more ticket stubs. These are from Games 4 and 5 of the 1961 World Series between the Cincinnati Redlegs and the Mantle and Maris led New York Yankees. Games 4 and 5 were at Crosley Field in Cincinnati. The Yankees won the Series in 5 games, so the Game 5 stub is from the Yankees championship winning game.
lg_1961WorldSeriesTicketGame4.jpg

lg_1961WorldSeriesTicketGame5.jpg

This next item is very cool. It’s a scorecard from 2 September 1967. A game at Crosley Field between the San Francisco Giants and Cincinnati Reds.

Front
lg_BenchScorecard1.jpg

Back
lg_BenchScorecard2.jpg

Inside
lg_BenchScorecard3.jpg

My father got the Reds side signed by an upcoming Reds prospect. He didn’t know who the guy was, but my grandfather told him he should go get his autograph. My father, though he is a Reds fan, was more interested in trying to get Mays or McCovey from the Giants, or any of the other Reds players. The player who signed the scorecard ended up being my father’s favorite all-time Reds player. This is definitely something that will never leave my collection.

Reds side; signed by Johnny Bench
lg_BenchScorecard4.jpg

Bench auto
lg_BenchScorecard5.jpg

Johnny Bench made his MLB debut on 28 August 1967 and on 2 September 1967, my father got his autograph on this scorecard. I flipped the autograph because it was signed upside down.

I apologize for the long read, but after an incredible time at RedsFest, I was blown away by all of these great things my father gave me.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Fantastic! It is special that you can share this hobby with your father.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Richard- Thank you.

Mozzie- Thank you. Very interesting story that I will condense as quickly as possible. My parents split when I was six months old. I didn't meet my father again until I was 30. These last 3+ years we've been building a relationship and the Reds, Bengals, sports in general, and collecting have been a way for us to be able to do that.

Tim- Thank you. I'm sorry about the Bengals yesterday too! :lol:

Clint- :lol: :lol: Thanks, brother!

GriffeyFan

Nov 28, 2011
Very,very cool stuff!I love the ticket stubs from the WS!

I was yard saleing not to long ago,and met a guy from Cinci.He noticed I was looking at some of his baseball gloves,asked me if I was a fan and told me a few stories about Crosley stadium.Needless to say,It was awesome.

koal

Aug 7, 2008
very cool stuff. i have that pete rose certificate somewhere. my uncle took me to that game. it was badass when pete slid into third headfirst. the stadium erupted!

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
Thanks for sharing.
I'm not sure which is cooler, the items or the stories behind them.
I lost my Dad 17 years ago and would give my left nut to be able to watch a game, talk baseball or just play catch with him one more time.
Again, thanks for sharing.
David

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts