Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Norichika Aoki = Milwaukee Brewers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Never thought the Brewers would bid on this guy. Interesting move.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
PadresFan86 said:
Why not with the departure of Fielder...

I'm stoked about the move even though Japanese ball players are usually misses. Maybe Ill get lucky and they'll have him play a few games in Appleton.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
jrinne said:
PadresFan86 said:
Why not with the departure of Fielder...

I'm stoked about the move even though Japanese ball players are usually misses. Maybe Ill get lucky and they'll have him play a few games in Appleton.
From what I have been reading on this guy I don't think it's THAT hit-or-miss. He was VERY decorated in Japan. Multiple all-star appearances, batting titles, and gold gloves. This is a bigger move than you think. But I don't blame you from shying away.

marterburn

So now even with Braun out, they have a seemingly solid option against lefties (they don't have to play Morgan). Morgan and Aoki look like they could be very similar, except it looks like Aoki hits lefties much better. We'll see how Aoki's game actually translates.

It just gives them OF depth; he's not necessarily committed to be a starter at that price.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
marterburn said:
So now even with Braun out, they have a seemingly solid option against lefties (they don't have to play Morgan). Morgan and Aoki look like they could be very similar, except it looks like Aoki hits lefties much better. We'll see how Aoki's game actually translates.

It just gives them OF depth; he's not necessarily committed to be a starter at that price.

The 2.5 million dollar posting price was just to talk to Aoki. We have not signed him yet.

marterburn

sheetskout said:
marterburn said:

The 2.5 million dollar posting price was just to talk to Aoki. We have not signed him yet.

Yeah I know, but Iwamura was $4.5 million posting, first year salary 1.8 million, and Nishioka was 5.0 posting, 3.0 salary. I know the posting fee doesn't necessarily correlate, but I also don't see the salary for Aoki being more than those; maybe $2-2.5 million per year. So if signing a 30 year old player to a 4yr/9mil plus the posting fee, it's probably still a good investment.

By comparison that's easy to see, Mark Kotsay signed for 1.25 million earlier this offseason.

Also keep in mind that as of now, Nyjer Morgan will be a free agent after this year.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
marterburn said:
Yeah I know, but Iwamura was $4.5 million posting, first year salary 1.8 million, and Nishioka was 5.0 posting, 3.0 salary. I know the posting fee doesn't necessarily correlate, but I also don't see the salary for Aoki being more than those; maybe $2-2.5 million per year. So if signing a 30 year old player to a 4yr/9mil plus the posting fee, it's probably still a good investment.

By comparison that's easy to see, Mark Kotsay signed for 1.25 million earlier this offseason.

Also keep in mind that as of now, Nyjer Morgan will be a free agent after this year.

I hear that....

I just hope this guy can leadoff as this would push Hart's power behind Ramirez in the lineup and further attempt to replace Prince's power.

Either way I am excited by this rather un-orthodox move by Melvin. He really keeps surprising. Doug Melvin is in the top five of GM's in baseball at this time in my opinion.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I wonder if this affected the Ramirez contract? They back-loaded it and deferred some to have more money this year, so you wonder how many moves ahead Melvin was thinking. Or was this only possible because of the way they set uo Aramis's contract?

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
hive17 said:
I wonder if this affected the Ramirez contract? They back-loaded it and deferred some to have more money this year, so you wonder how many moves ahead Melvin was thinking. Or was this only possible because of the way they set uo Aramis's contract?

I would think this was more possible because of the saved revenue from Casey McGehee's first-year-arby raise.

Members online

Latest posts