Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Had an awesome experience today!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I got a call from my buddy at the local shop who wanted me to stop by and say hi. I haven't talked to him in a while so I stopped in. While I was catching up on what had been going on, a couple walked in and he recognized them from a previous visit. They went to the back and the guy asked if the shop had any of "rookies" cards. My buddy then turned and said, "hey Brian, I'd like you to meet Mr. and Mrs. Davis! They're the parents of Rookie Davis." Hmm........you mean THE Rookie Davis from 2011 EEE?

Yup! Thats them!

So I introduced myself and we spent the next hour and a half talking about their son and cards and whatnot. It was a VERY interesting conversation. Mr. Davis had questions about whether Rookie might be included in another product this year and that his signing had a provision for autograph signings. He asked me what I thought about whether Rookie might be a Topps product. Asking me? Like I'm some sort of card guru? It was very flattering to say the least!

We exchanged emails and he even said that Rookie might be up for a Q&A from me about his adjustment to pro ball and his reaction at seeing his first baseball card. I would like to field some questions that you guys might have and I'm going to type up a short Q&A for him to see what he has to say!

All in all, it was a very enjoyable experience. His parents have been very devoted to their son and are extremely nice. I also asked them if they were the ones that had been the ones paying so much for his cards from EEE. They said they were not the ones and that they were trying to get as many of his base cards as possible. They said it was nearly impossible to find base set cards of him. His dad did say he had picked up a couple of the autographed versions and that Rookie had purchased a red ink version upon release.

So, if you guys have any questions, post them here and I'll compile the best ones to send off to him.

NOTES:
He was sent a very large package from Panini for his autographs. He signed quite a few autos for the company(number withheld) and it took him several days to sign them all!

He has already run into the likes of Joba and Jeter at the Tampa facility and is already working hard for the spring down there.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
LOL, yeah Rookie is his name! His dad shared a story about last week when Rookie was at the Tampa facility in the trainers room. Joba Chamberlain was in there getting worked on and Rookie introduced himself. Joba asked him his name and he said Rookie. Then Joba said, no whats your real name? He then told him that Rookie was his real name. Jeter walked by and Joba said "hey Derek! Check out this kids name!". Jeter was very impressed. They all had a good laugh.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
blanning71 said:
LOL, yeah Rookie is his name! His dad shared a story about last week when Rookie was at the Tampa facility in the trainers room. Joba Chamberlain was in there getting worked on and Rookie introduced himself. Joba asked him his name and he said Rookie. Then Joba said, no whats your real name? He then told him that Rookie was his real name. Jeter walked by and Joba said "hey Derek! Check out this kids name!". Jeter was very impressed. They all had a good laugh.

haha

safe to say he's never going to make it

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
blanning71 said:

Rookie is to William, as Joba is to Justin.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
ThoseBackPages said:
blanning71 said:

haha

safe to say he's never going to make it

Joba or Rookie? Rookie was in there for some medicine for a cold. He didn't want to take anything OTC in order to comply with the PED testing. Didn't wanna trigger anything that might be found in an OTC cold medicine.

Members online

Latest posts