Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

LA Dodgers offered Clayton Kershaw a $300M contract

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stangy24

Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
He should sign ASAP, but from what I've read, he's the one that doesn't want that long term of a commitment. I wouldn't be surprised if he signs a shorter deal, but still at an insane yearly amount. As much as it pains me to say as a Giants fan, he's worth it despite what happened in last night's game...

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
The new TV contracts have made the athletes more valuable than ever before and Kershaw is about the perfect storm (young, marketable, stays out of trouble, no injury history, best pitcher in the game, homegrown in LA market). $300 million over 10 years is risky but not really out of line.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
The new TV contracts have made the athletes more valuable than ever before and Kershaw is about the perfect storm (young, marketable, stays out of trouble, no injury history, best pitcher in the game, homegrown in LA market). $300 million over 10 years is risky but not really out of line.

He is from Dallas, Texas actually. Unless you're referring to he has only played professional ball in LA.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
from the linked article:
But the negotiations progressed enough that there is confidence among some with knowledge of the talks that a long-term deal -- perhaps more conservative in length than the massive contract initially proposed by the Dodgers -- will be concluded this winter, with a significant portion of money being devoted to a charity of Kershaw's choosing.
I love this. I don't know how many people know (or care) that Kershaw is as good a guy off the field as he is a player on it.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
He is from Dallas, Texas actually. Unless you're referring to he has only played professional ball in LA.

---

Pretty sure he meant grew up in the Dodgers system. Come on man ridiculous or not, you would cream your pants is someone offered this to Belle. And you also would think it was out of line if they did. Of course Belle would have not been belle if he was Young, Marketable, no history of injury and so on....LOL

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Pretty sure he meant grew up in the Dodgers system. Come on man ridiculous or not, you would cream your pants is someone offered this to Belle. And you also would think it was out of line if they did. Of course Belle would have not been belle if he was Young, Marketable, no history of injury and so on....LOL

Haha if I remember correctly, when the Sox signed Belle, it was the largest contract to date.

And honestly, it's one thing to secure a player like Kershaw but it's an entirely different thing to discuss a guy playing baseball being worth that much. Two different convos IMO.

---

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Haha if I remember correctly, when the Sox signed Belle, it was the largest contract to date.

And honestly, it's one thing to secure a player like Kershaw but it's an entirely different thing to discuss a guy playing baseball being worth that much. Two different convos IMO.

---

I don't think anyone would argue that what baseball players do is worth as much as they get paid if you view their contribution to society. That said, they get played because millions of people pay money to watch/follow/cheer for them etc.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
He should sign ASAP, but from what I've read, he's the one that doesn't want that long term of a commitment. I wouldn't be surprised if he signs a shorter deal, but still at an insane yearly amount. As much as it pains me to say as a Giants fan, he's worth it despite what happened in last night's game...

As a Giants fan, aren't you glad Lincecum rejected a long term deal years ago (could have sworn I read Giants offered)?Now, he'll get nothing close to that.I don't get why Kershaw hasn't signed ASAP.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Kershaw is stupid not to sign this deal IMO. That Lincecum comparison is a great comparison and the Giants are jumping for joy now.

Agreed, Lincecum looks foolish not taking big deal from Giants and Sabean must be smiling from ear to ear now.I don't know what more Kershaw could want, unless he doesn't like LA.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Kershaw is great and probably the best pitcher in the bigs but 300 million is unheard of for pitchers. That would be incredible

It is unheard of but over the last year or so, as competition to show the games has jumped pushing TV deals through the roof, the value of ball players has skyrocketed. This may be the beginning of the "new normal".

stangy24

Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
As a Giants fan, aren't you glad Lincecum rejected a long term deal years ago (could have sworn I read Giants offered)?Now, he'll get nothing close to that.I don't get why Kershaw hasn't signed ASAP.

Yeah, Timmy is probably kicking himself for that. I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle offered him an insane contract to come home...

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
It is unheard of but over the last year or so, as competition to show the games has jumped pushing TV deals through the roof, the value of ball players has skyrocketed. This may be the beginning of the "new normal".
The new normal? 300 million? You can't be serious. There are more than likely only 2-3 players who could possibly come close to getting that kind of a contract at this point in the game. There's still the issue of only a small few teams can afford 300 million or 30 million a year for a player.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
The new normal? 300 million? You can't be serious. There are more than likely only 2-3 players who could possibly come close to getting that kind of a contract at this point in the game. There's still the issue of only a small few teams can afford 300 million or 30 million a year for a player.

I don't mean $30 million a year will be standard but for the best pitcher in the league it might not seem crazy as salaries could very reasonably go up across the board. As more teams sign lucrative TV contracts we could see more $20 million a season players and as the best pitcher in the game $30 million a year may seem "fair".

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
I don't mean $30 million a year will be standard but for the best pitcher in the league it might not seem crazy as salaries could very reasonably go up across the board. As more teams sign lucrative TV contracts we could see more $20 million a season players and as the best pitcher in the game $30 million a year may seem "fair".

I guess we can agree to disagree. It will never be the new normal for players to be averaging 20 mill a season plus. It seems like you happen to believe that every team is going to get a lucrative tv contract. That is just not true. Only the top 5-10 teams are going to be getting these huge TV deals. The bottom 20 or however many are left are not going to be getting crazy tv contracts. There just aren't many teams even with TV deals that can afford these types of deals. Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Cubs, LAD, LAA, Detroit, SF, Seattle, Cardinals. I might be missing a team or two. However, plenty of these teams have huge contracts already locked up for a bunch of years.

I just don't ever expect 20 million a year to be something that teams just start to give out all the time.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Yeah, Timmy is probably kicking himself for that. I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle offered him an insane contract to come home...

Any chance Giants bring him
back?Mariners have young cheap arms ready to pitch soon, I see him going somewhere else.

Members online

Latest posts