Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When a newbie seller tries to tell a player collector what something should cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Let me get this out of the way up front, so no one else has to say it: "It's his card, and he's entitled to think it's worth whatever he wants"

2013 Allen Ginter Robin Yount 1 1 Hidden Box Topper | eBay

I offered $200 for this card to figure out where the seller was at. I figured he didn't know much about what he had, since he's a (0) feedback seller. He declines my offer and sends me the following note with the decline: "Sorry yall are not even close, this card is worth more than 400.00. This is a steal at 400, only one produced, still in the box top wrapper."

I sent him another offer for $300, and it's as high as I'll probably go, unless he just tries to squeeze another $20 out of me or something. I also sent him a note with the offer detailing the prices I paid for one of the dual rip cards with Yount and Braun, as well as the price I paid for the wood mini.

Now, I know it can be annoying when people try and tell you that your card isn't worth what you're asking; but I would think I'm in a more unique position to have insight on what the value might be, as opposed to the seller.

IDK, maybe I'm being a *****, but I feel like Yount cards is my business, and this guy thinks he's going to tell me my business. Maybe when it doesn't sell for the $399 he's asking, he'll see ot my way; unless I get horn-swaggled by an insane Topps set collector who pays this guy's price. Whenever I see people asking insane prices, I feel like dropping them a line and saying "hey, if you ever get tired of relisting that card and actually want to sell it, hit me up. I'll tell you the NOT-insane price you should be asking."

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
I feel the pain, so much overvaluing on eBay anymore. Several times I've included links or references to ended auctions of the same/similar card that went for half what a person is asking for to make a reasoned offer only to get the auto reject. People have to figure out for themselves what the value is I guess, especially noob eBayers. It drives you half mad to see all these great cards you'd love in your collection just sitting out there for months on end, but what are you gonna do....

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
This is another reason I started selling exclusively on COMC. Sure, people can still make multiple offers on cards I have for sale, but they can't contact me directly and I can't contact them. After several "You're listing way too high" contacts and almost as many "You'd have to be insane to sell that low" comments on ebay, I love the fact the buyers cannot contact me on COMC. If I wanted collector's opinions on what a card should be listed for, I would ask.

After re-reading this, it kinda comes across like I'm calling hive17 a jerk, in a way. That wasn't my intent. My intent was, don't tell me what a card should sell for. If I wanted pricing opinions, I would ask in a forum such as this. If we can't come to an agreement, then maybe we should just move on. I don't care WHY a buyer/seller thinks a card is worth what they think it is.

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
Just buy it - Is it worth $100 if you lose that card?... When you look at your collection in a year or 2, 5, 10 Will it matter that you spent the extra $100? I would kill to have that card of Canseco in my PC...

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Eh , I've seen the weirdest crap which I had seen over n over again eventually sell. And I've held out without lowering a price and got what I wanted and set the "new bar" for a card.

On a 1/1 although some day he's holding it hostage , it is what it is. Even if he relisted it every week it's only gonna cost him $5 ish. And there is a chance it can be scooped by someone.

I also understand from a buyers side to set a max on a type of card. Keep offering and maybe one time he cracks at $300.

In regards to any offer esp COMC, I think a seller should be forced to send a counter offer at least once. I hate offering like 33% under asking and not even getting a counter.

Anyway, good luck

Ryan

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
That's frustrating it sounds like you gave him a more than fair offer for the card, hopefully the seller will see the light after the card gets re-listed a few times.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
Interactions with sellers/buyers is why I love eBay. If I am selling something and someone says they are a collector of a player of a particular person I am a little more open to letting go of it for less because I know that its going to someone who cares. You don't collect some players to make money, its because hes a favorite of yours. Like me with Descalso. Just tonight I had a seller accept my offer just because of my collection and my offer was fair all because of the interactions.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
While sellers can price their stuff however they want, I'm always amazed at the "this card is a steal at this price" lines of reasoning. If it's a steal, it would be sold immediately. Why sell so low, anyway? Why wouldn't you list it at $450 or $500? You're just leaving money on the table. Show me this huge demand for Yount 1/1s where they are completely liquid assets at $500+ so that $400 is such a huge bargain.

There's a card with a print run under 10 I want that's been on ebay for 5 years at $60. All the others have sold for $20-30, and the seller won't budge below $50. Now, maybe he knows he's got the last copy (I believe I have all the others), and is holding out. Maybe he just wants $50 and doesn't care one way or the other. But I'm literally the only person to make offers on it in the last 5 years. I don't know who he expects to sell to, but I am pretty sure it's not going to be for $50 if not to me.

On the other hand, Razor-z has a point. My collection would be more satisfyingly complete in my mind if I had that card and paying an extra $20 won't matter much to me in the grand scheme of things. But still, I don't want to. It's part of human nature not to want to give up more than you think something is worth, but how you arrive at a mutually agreed price for something with no intrinsic worth that is of limited appeal is hard when one person is out of the mainstream for such things. And even for 1/1s, there is a mainstream.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
So the assumption is that since he has zero feedback that he is a newbie? Yes the account is new but does that mean that the seller is a newbie to selling or collecting?

Much like [MENTION=3754]MansGame[/MENTION] and the Belle Bat Barrel; it is the sellers cards and they have something you want.......but you already stated that.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
So the assumption is that since he has zero feedback that he is a newbie? Yes the account is new but does that mean that the seller is a newbie to selling or collecting?

Much like @MansGame and the Belle Bat Barrel; it is the sellers cards and they have something you want.......but you already stated that.

Yea, this is crazy familiar to my "run in" with the Belle bat barrel seller.

Long story short, he listed originally for $1,000 BIN/BO and I offered like $200 to see where he was at and he basically wrote me telling me that he knows the BIN is like extremely high but he is auto-declining all offers under like $450 or something. So I increase my offer, send him comps, etc. and he still tells me I'm crazy and he has SO many offers above $300 and even higher, that it'll sell and I should keep moving...

So here we are a couple months later and he is still playing games. He has tried EVERY different listing way... BIN/BO... auction with BIN... straight BIN... etc. - nothing is being done other than him just relisting every week or whatever for $25 less until it sells.

Similar to the OP'er, it'll probably creep down towards the $300 mark and there won't be any buyers (even though he said SO many were above that mark) and I'll somehow increase my want and get there.

Anyways, just keep moving is my opinion. Don't watch the card and mark it as "GONE" via your checklist, like I have with my Belle checklist. It's sad but sometimes extremely awesome PC cards get in the hands of the wrong people and you just have to move on.

In other news, I love the way you said "I treat it as my business" because I don't think you're alone in that feeling with other player collectors...

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Rather have the wood than one with a little extra gloss. I certainly wouldn't pay more than you did for the wood

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Just tonight I had a seller accept my offer just because of my collection and my offer was fair all because of the interactions.

I wish people were more like that with me and my Denard Span collection. There are a few printing plates listed that the sellers are wanting at least $40-50 for. I have won all of mine in the $8-20 range with the exceptions being rookies. Just wish they were more willing to be reasonable, but I understand that it's their card and their price. I keep them in my watchlist just to see if they ever sell, but they've all been there for at least a year and still nothing.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Just let him hold it hostage until it being held hostage is no longer getting him anywhere. If he finally breaks, buy it. There isn't much of anything else you can do. You as well as every other player collector here has to deal with sellers trying to get more out of something than they need to or in a lot of cases, than it's really worth. You'll never tell a seller anything they believe, even if you are right, unless they are open minded. Even talking to some sellers actually motivates them to hold out more. They think the interest is there, which it is, but wrongly believe it'll lead to them getting a higher price.

Just gotta do what's right for you. Who knows, he may sell it at his asking price to someone else. But if you or I or any of us had to pay the asking price every time, 2, 5, or 10 years down the road, your collection wouldn't be as good as it is now because that's that many more cards you couldn't get. Unless you have an unlimited budget.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
You may be the expert on Yount but as you mention it is a Ginter card and a kind of unique set something you aren't necessarily am expert on. I do think your offer was really reasonable but I don't have an issue with the seller and I definitely wouldn't make assumptions based on his feedback. Hope you get it though...

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
If it was $600 bin/bo would you have offered $400? The mind is a very powerful thing!

I hope you end up with it when the storm clears! It is definitely a cornerstone Yount!

Members online

Latest posts