Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When a newbie seller tries to tell a player collector what something should cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
Congrats on the purchase - I think the title should be "When a card owner sets an unreasonable minimum price". What a player collector thinks a card should cost is half of the deal - the minimum a seller is willing to accept is also part of the bargain. I am a set collector and used to open a lot of wax, I have some 1 of 1 of players and low number autos and inserts (borderline all-star type guys) that would probably have a decent market - I'm a set collector but I like to have these along side my set - at one point I listed them at healthy prices - my indifference point. Was it higher than market - yes, by 20-50%. At that price I'd take the cash - lower than that I'd prefer to keep the card. I stopped listing them because I was tired of the back and forth - was I being unreasonable - absolutely - do I have a right to be unreasonable on a one-of-one - yes. Do I have an obligation to sell to a PC at "what something should cost"? Hell no.

autocut

Congrats on the purchase - I think the title should be "When a card owner sets an unreasonable minimum price". What a player collector thinks a card should cost is half of the deal - the minimum a seller is willing to accept is also part of the bargain. I am a set collector and used to open a lot of wax, I have some 1 of 1 of players and low number autos and inserts (borderline all-star type guys) that would probably have a decent market - I'm a set collector but I like to have these along side my set - at one point I listed them at healthy prices - my indifference point. Was it higher than market - yes, by 20-50%. At that price I'd take the cash - lower than that I'd prefer to keep the card. I stopped listing them because I was tired of the back and forth - was I being unreasonable - absolutely - do I have a right to be unreasonable on a one-of-one - yes. Do I have an obligation to sell to a PC at "what something should cost"? Hell no.

Agreed. I'm the same way with some of my unreleased cards. I see a lot of overpriced cards, but it comes down to how badly the buyer wants it and how badly the seller wants to sell it. That determines the price and negotiate room. I hate the back and forth also. Usually, I say make offer. When I say that I'm open for offers and flexible on price. When a person insist on my naming a price since it's my card, I make a firm price and stick to it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Glad the OP got his card. But sometimes for me i just have to let some cards go because i dont have the funds or i feel its overpriced or past my limit. Post it when you get it.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I would have waited the seller out a bit longer while "potential" buyers like me made some offers...;)

In all seriousness - that is a great PC purchase. Best of the best.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Congrats on getting the Yount, Hive !

For me, this is why I'm glad I'm done buying cards. I'd get more headaches and cuss more dealing with folks who are stuck in 2009 with the prices of JJ. Nobody on this planet knows more about JJ sales than I and if someone wants to 'hold something hostage', have at 'er. I have a mortgage now and my wife & daughter, along with other bills that will ALWAYS come light years before trading cards. I don't see anyone ever surpassing the quality or quantity of my JJ collection. Ever. Just my $0.02 :)

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

For me, this is why I'm glad I'm done buying cards. I'd get more headaches and cuss more dealing with folks who are stuck in 2009 with the prices of JJ. Nobody on this planet knows more about JJ sales than I and if someone wants to 'hold something hostage', have at 'er. I have a mortgage now and my wife & daughter, along with other bills that will ALWAYS come light years before trading cards. I don't see anyone ever surpassing the quality or quantity of my JJ collection. Ever. Just my $0.02 :)

How long ago did you call it quits? Are you still picking up JJ in trades or just done all together. I'm assuming you kept your PC or did you sell that off?

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

AmishDave

Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
How long ago did you call it quits? Are you still picking up JJ in trades or just done all together. I'm assuming you kept your PC or did you sell that off?

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

I'm sure I'll get back in someday, but funds are so damn limited now, it doesn't even pay to look. Haven't checked eBay since September 1st or so and it really hasn't been a big deal that nothing has come in. I posted on here, but didn't get the response I wanted. Folks still think he'll be fine, but I just don't see his arm holding up, so I'm not going to dump bocu bucks into an injury prone pitcher. Especially for what people want, $$$ wise, for his cards on the sites.

Still have everything. I'd rather burn them all then sell them off, knowing how much I have into them. Plus, I have jack XXXX for trade, so trading is definitely outta the question.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Hive17- glad you got the card. That is the best possible ending that you got the card and your electricity is still on so you can post here to tell us about it ;)

I can totally sympathize with the player collector niche and how we "know" the vlaues for cards of our players. I have spent a decent amount of time to send sellers a detailed comparative analysis for similar cards to a card I am offering on that outlines the sale prices, types of auctions, and even unsold cards for the past year of Manny Ramirez. The response I typically get?: "Ah yeah I want x for the card." ;) So I have given up on doing that. I do it on my end, send in a fair offer, and stick to it. Having kids and having a budget has made me way more patient with this strategy. If I don;t get the card, I would have been paying too much anyway so I don;t sweat it. The one caveat: 1/1 cards that complete a run. In that case, your nuts are in a cinch, you know, he knows it, and you try to limit the pain and get the card home! Sounds like you did.

The best I have done on ebay was a seller that started a card at 2k, and would drop the price every successive auction. When the minimum bid got down to 100.00 about 7 months later I pounced and nailed it. A good feeling.

It's also pretty sweet when you make a fair offer, get declined, and then end up winning the card(s) from a seller for significantly less than you offered when they finally relent and run it as an open auction. Love that.

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
I don't concern myself *who it is that has the card and what games they play and if they are a lying jerk, etc, etc.. All I care about is getting the card into my collection at the end of the day.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA

I'm sure I'll get back in someday, but funds are so damn limited now, it doesn't even pay to look. Haven't checked eBay since September 1st or so and it really hasn't been a big deal that nothing has come in. I posted on here, but didn't get the response I wanted. Folks still think he'll be fine, but I just don't see his arm holding up, so I'm not going to dump bocu bucks into an injury prone pitcher. Especially for what people want, $$$ wise, for his cards on the sites.

Still have everything. I'd rather burn them all then sell them off, knowing how much I have into them. Plus, I have jack XXXX for trade, so trading is definitely outta the question.

I'm in the same boat, but its hard to quit. Thats why I shoot for cards on the cheap cheap cheap. Bills, Rent, Kids, Food, Clothes, then maaayyyybe cards. And until I find a Bagwell collector Needing my Bagwell doubles, I too have jack squat for trade. :)

And in your case, if you wait a while, his cards may go down. So start saving now and you could possibly get cards next year cheaper than if you got em this year.

AmishDave

Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Socks, you quit?

For now, yea. Hate to, but I have nothing for trade, except other failed player PC's and folks are still stingy on JJ prices. Plus, with the house payment and fuel oil being the way we heat it, there's nothing left for cards. So close to 1000 pack pulled autos too ...

Members online

Latest posts