Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When a newbie seller tries to tell a player collector what something should cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I will just agree to disagree with Mozzie. What he needs to learn, is when he buys that card off ebay, or at shows, he's buying from a dealer, so without us, he doesnt' get that card for his PC. As for what he calls my "poor business practices", I buy cheap, and I sell cheap, I do occasionally bust alot of wax, and if I get 30-40% back out of what I spent, then I am fine.

As for collecting, I do collect certain players, and I realize guys can sell for whatever the he** they want, that is their right. What gets me mad, is this:

Guys thinking they are "owed", or "entitled" to a dealer to get a card for pennies on the dollar, cause they are a "collector", that is what makes me mad, that sense of "entitlement", cause "I'm a collector"

I don't trust anyone saying they are a "true" collector, and here is why: (Now, I know internet is different), I'm speaking face-to-face..

I had a guy who was a Randy Moss "die-hard true collector" he says....The card was going for around $60 on Ebay, I cut him a break, sold it for $40, under the "market going rate" bs. 2 hours later, I find out the guy was a dealer, had it in his showcase for $75, so after that, if I am dealing with you face-to-face, I don't beleive that "true collector" bs, it's a shame, I have to feel that way, but it is what it is...

" I do wonder though if we go to see our a movie we like, and tell them we are a TRUE fan, and collector of merchandise, if they will cut us a deal, "for the better of the community", so we arent screwed over at the concession stand, cause we collect that movie star"?:lol:

If you don't believe anyone is a true collector, you're ignorant. There are truckloads of true collectors in the hobby. I believe I've sold three Josh Johnson cards during my 5 1/2 years of collecting him. One deal was an ultra unique situation (with George Calfas on here) and the other two were selling a couple cards I had multiple copies of to another 'collector'. Just because you've "cut a deal" to a couple folks and gotten burned, shouldn't leave you with a vinegary taste in your mouth.

Also, I don't believe anyone has said that they are entitled to get 'first dibs' on a players card, because they collect said player. I always would like to be first contacted if someone were to pull one of my scrubs, but realize there are a lot of people that bust wax and capitalize on deals they find and want to profit greatly from it. I'm always more than willing to work with someone like this, but, if they have the attitude that they have the carrot and they're dangling it over me, knowing I'm a JJ collector and thinking I'll pay anything to get it, well, they're dead wrong.

Just $0.02 more.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I think it's overly cynical to say that there are no true collectors out there just because of the truth in The Million Dollar Man's saying, "Everybody's got a price." I'm sure if somebody offered you ten million dollars to cuss out your grandma you would take it, but that doesn't mean you want to cuss out your grandma. It just means you're smart enough to realize it'd be ridiculous to not take ten million dollars for that. Granny will forgive you when you slip her a cool mill.

To assume that there are no real collectors just because there are some people that call themselves collectors who aren't really collectors in the true sense of the word, would not be wise. I think the term "collection" has become mushy since a lot of people who are actually investing refer to their stash that they are waiting for the right time to sell as their "PC". I'll call it the Blowoutization of collecting. The Randy Moss guy would be a probably example of this type of collector, or some collectors I trade with that say "Oh I have these cards for you, I collect *list of stuff that sells well on ebay, each of which has nothing to do with the other*". There's nothing really WRONG with this type of "collector", other than the guy lying trying to get a good price, but if you do deal with enough of them you might develop cynicism towards all collectors.

Just look through the threads on this board and you will see a ton of true collectors. And just because they may have sold or traded cards in their collection a couple of times, as in 55_marlins_sp's post above, isn't some gotcha proof that they aren't a REAL collector. Everybody has a price for anything, and it was exceeded in those cases. For example, the one time I have traded away cards from my collection I was offered a Sandy Koufax autograph for shall we say, cards that you would never imagine would net a Sandy Koufax autograph in a trade. So even though I am now missing some A's cards from my collection that I will never replace, I traded the Koufax to get some cards that I enjoy a lot more.

Ugh I rambled. I'm just going to hit "Post quick reply" now.

autocut

My definition of a true collector is a set collector or "super" collector. That's because they are always looking to buy to complete a collection. Everyone else in some way is an investor. That's why they bust packs, boxes, cases looking for the big hits.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Sep 25, 2013
Midwest US
marlins55, I am sure that there is "true" collectors in this world, I personally have 2 guys I collect cowboys, and dolphins stuff for, and I pick them up pretty cheap, and I make $1 off of the cards, cause I have known them for years, and they don't have a problem with me doing that.

I also wasn't born yesterday either, and now I am more CAUTIOUS when I sell face-to-face at shows, due to the bad experience that I encountered. Does that mean I don't cut anybody breaks, I do, don't get me wrong, but I feel I can "weed" out the idiots now who either:

A. Want me to sell it for 50% below Ebay (which if ANYBODY ) does that, they are "ignorant", cause those are the clowns that "price gouge" people, so they can either double, or triple their money.

B. Think that just becaue they are a "collector", or a "TRUE" collector, they are owed it for next-to-nothing, or think they are "entitled" to a break/discount just because they are a collector. By that reasoning, since I am personally a Kobe Bryant collector, and let's say I see a topps chrome refractor rc, should I say "Hey man, I am Kobe collector, can i get this for $100, cause I am "entitled", to it, or I am "owed" it, cause you are "screwing" over guys like me, cause I am a TRUE collector, and not the a**clown who is trying to "rip" him off in price, so he can go throw it on Ebay, and make a 400% profit?....He would tell me "get lost", that's my point.

I like making deals, just like the next person, I like buying cheap, like the next person, but IMO guys thinking they are "entitled" or "owed" a break, by a dealer, is just ridiculous, they can sell it for whatever price, and if we can't agree, EVEN if it's for me PC, then to me, that's ok, I hope I find it down the line, for a better price, that I personally am willing to pay.

But just don't give me the "bs" line, of this is what they are selling for on Ebay, I am aware of the "market", but me again....personally I NEVER make more then $5 on a card, cause I will NEVER sell anyhting for a loss, and that's the business side of me, and to me, that's good business, making something. And I personally will NOT cut a break for anyone, who thinks they are "entitled", or "owed" it, cause they are a die-hard collector. As to Ebay, I always tell people, if they are selling for x on Ebay, why the hell are you at my table for then?, Go buy everyone of them on Ebay, if they are either: "going for what people says is under market" value, or are a super low price on Ebay. I sell for just above Ebay at shows, usually, cause I try to make a little bit of profit, I don't price gouge people.

As for "everybody's got a price", If I get a ridiculous offer for something that I am asking a price on (Like a high dollar card), then yeah, anybody would be a fool not to do that, on the other side. But I once had a 1/1, and I was asking $350, the guy comes to my table, and says "I can only offer $100, well to me, I was thinking, "I bet you would", cause I know your wanting it for nothing, so I said no, ....I don't like people like that....that's all

I am willing to give breaks, but I can't do it for under my cost

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2013
Midwest US
Again, I was talking about face-to-face, a guy who I don't know, saying he is "a true" collector, that person, specifically I have a hard time believing is a "TRUE" collector, especially after a bad experience before.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Again, I was talking about face-to-face, a guy who I don't know, saying he is "a true" collector, that person, specifically I have a hard time believing is a "TRUE" collector, especially after a bad experience before.

I think you've lost the point of this thread.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Yeah I don't think anybody is suggesting that a true big time supercollector should get a card for 50% of what it would sell for on ebay. Anybody that has some kind of entitled attitude like that is a tool. The OP doesn't seem to be like that at all, based on research it looks like he offered at least as much as the card would sell for in an auction.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
marlins55, I am sure that there is "true" collectors in this world, I personally have 2 guys I collect cowboys, and dolphins stuff for, and I pick them up pretty cheap, and I make $1 off of the cards, cause I have known them for years, and they don't have a problem with me doing that.

I also wasn't born yesterday either, and now I am more CAUTIOUS when I sell face-to-face at shows, due to the bad experience that I encountered. Does that mean I don't cut anybody breaks, I do, don't get me wrong, but I feel I can "weed" out the idiots now who either:

A. Want me to sell it for 50% below Ebay (which if ANYBODY ) does that, they are "ignorant", cause those are the clowns that "price gouge" people, so they can either double, or triple their money.

B. Think that just becaue they are a "collector", or a "TRUE" collector, they are owed it for next-to-nothing, or think they are "entitled" to a break/discount just because they are a collector. By that reasoning, since I am personally a Kobe Bryant collector, and let's say I see a topps chrome refractor rc, should I say "Hey man, I am Kobe collector, can i get this for $100, cause I am "entitled", to it, or I am "owed" it, cause you are "screwing" over guys like me, cause I am a TRUE collector, and not the a**clown who is trying to "rip" him off in price, so he can go throw it on Ebay, and make a 400% profit?....He would tell me "get lost", that's my point.

I like making deals, just like the next person, I like buying cheap, like the next person, but IMO guys thinking they are "entitled" or "owed" a break, by a dealer, is just ridiculous, they can sell it for whatever price, and if we can't agree, EVEN if it's for me PC, then to me, that's ok, I hope I find it down the line, for a better price, that I personally am willing to pay.

But just don't give me the "bs" line, of this is what they are selling for on Ebay, I am aware of the "market", but me again....personally I NEVER make more then $5 on a card, cause I will NEVER sell anyhting for a loss, and that's the business side of me, and to me, that's good business, making something. And I personally will NOT cut a break for anyone, who thinks they are "entitled", or "owed" it, cause they are a die-hard collector. As to Ebay, I always tell people, if they are selling for x on Ebay, why the hell are you at my table for then?, Go buy everyone of them on Ebay, if they are either: "going for what people says is under market" value, or are a super low price on Ebay. I sell for just above Ebay at shows, usually, cause I try to make a little bit of profit, I don't price gouge people.

As for "everybody's got a price", If I get a ridiculous offer for something that I am asking a price on (Like a high dollar card), then yeah, anybody would be a fool not to do that, on the other side. But I once had a 1/1, and I was asking $350, the guy comes to my table, and says "I can only offer $100, well to me, I was thinking, "I bet you would", cause I know your wanting it for nothing, so I said no, ....I don't like people like that....that's all

I am willing to give breaks, but I can't do it for under my cost

Good points. Giving discounts because someone is a collector is interesting...it's one thing to encourage repeat business, but on the other hand its like saying a drug dealer would give a junkie a discount. The repeat business maybe. The once in a while junkie? No.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
So, all this card is a glossy mini stamped 1/1?Are you going after all the plates too?

It's regular sized, but otherwise, yes, that's the right description. I wasn't paying attention to the plates when the product launched, so that might prove difficult to impossible now. I saw the A&G red /25 early, and grabbed it on a whim. I was just going to get the GU and move on. Then the wood mini showed up and I got it for a decent price. But I still figured that the box-top, hidden 1/1 was likely gone forever (I assume about 40% that gimmick will/has been destroyed). So when it showed up, I realized I had a chance to get a historic Yount "rainbow", since Topps has never tried this "hidden" 1/1 and Yount has never been in an A&G release until this year.

Now I just have to fine the NNO mini :)

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
It's regular sized, but otherwise, yes, that's the right description. I wasn't paying attention to the plates when the product launched, so that might prove difficult to impossible now. I saw the A&G red /25 early, and grabbed it on a whim. I was just going to get the GU and move on. Then the wood mini showed up and I got it for a decent price. But I still figured that the box-top, hidden 1/1 was likely gone forever (I assume about 40% that gimmick will/has been destroyed). So when it showed up, I realized I had a chance to get a historic Yount "rainbow", since Topps has never tried this "hidden" 1/1 and Yount has never been in an A&G release until this year.

Now I just have to fine the NNO mini :)

Never seen those wood cards in person, someday I will go after one.The glossy 1/1 cards don't sound that appealing if they look similar to base.That is sad to think 40% of those cards were thrown away with the boxes.Topps should have released that.Congrats on your pickup though.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
This I did not even realize. Definitely adds a little more reason to pursue them IMO

Yeah. I had to have someone make that one in my avatar for me special, because I was tired of never seeing him in the release :)

Members online