Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How do you determine the value of a truly rare card without selling it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
I'm not talking about a 1/1, because the only way to gauge the value of that is to sell it.

I'm talking about a truly rare vintage card, 90s insert, etc. Something that was "widely" issued in packs, but just doesn't show up.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
One sold at some point, so there may be some data to find from prior sales. Similar items can be used to judge value as well. Sometimes you just have to assume that a player item might sell somewhat similar to a different item with same player popularity and item rarity.

Are you seeking this information for insurance or tax purposes? Otherwise, if the item isn't for sale, monetary value is almost meaningless.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
One sold at some point, so there may be some data to find from prior sales. Similar items can be used to judge value as well. Sometimes you just have to assume that a player item might sell somewhat similar to a different item with same player popularity and item rarity.

Are you seeking this information for insurance or tax purposes? Otherwise, if the item isn't for sale, monetary value is almost meaningless.
No, simply curious. Thinking of making a rather large purchase and would like to see if I'd be paying a fair price for it.

BigAppleJak

Aug 8, 2008
You can always put it up on EBAY with a silly buy it now, and see what people are willing to offer.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
He's looking to buy, guys.

To me, unless there are multiple sales, it's hard to gauge. Even then, it all depends on how bad two people want it. If people know it rarely comes up and they missed out/didn't bid on the last one, the price they are willing to pay could be astronomical compared to other past sales. There's just no telling.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
If you're on the buy side, you have to start with comps. If you can't find any, I honestly turn to resources here, whether friends of mine in the MT or '90s thread or whatever. From there, it's really just feel.

For example, Albert Belle had never had a premium card like a Knob or a Nameplate before. When those spikes I had NO idea what to offer or pay, etc. Ended up finding a pretty normal price and away the last three or four have gone. All within a hair of the sale price of the next.

Good luck and hope you get the card you're looking for.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
If you are wanting to buy something seldom seen, then you just have to decide what you think it the top amount you'd be comfortable paying and give it a shot. Perspectives change over time as well, so consider if you are willing to pay a certain amount now, maybe you'd be willing to double that amount in 10 years if another copy never comes along. Many of us have those "regret" moments, where we had a chance to buy something at a time, passed and have never seen another surface or the prices skyrocketed and the price we passed on will never be seen again.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
I was looking to buy. I bought the card, will show off when I get it in hand. b/c it is rare, don't really know if I got a good deal or not, don't really care though, really wanted the card.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I was looking to buy. I bought the card, will show off when I get it in hand. b/c it is rare, don't really know if I got a good deal or not, don't really care though, really wanted the card.

Sentimental Value is Greater Than Monetary Value Any Day.........................

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
As others have indicated, if the card/set is rare enough, there's really no good way to tell. That said, unless you pay something completely outrageous, if it is a very desirable set, there will likely be someone who is willing to pay more than you paid if you are patient about selling. (While it sounds like you want to keep the item, IMO this reality can allow you to pay knowing that if needed, there's a decent chance you at least recoup your money if not make a few bucks.)

Looking forward to seeing what it is.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Take whatever you feel is a fair price and add 30%
That's the typical equation for me anyway, and 99% of the time it works. I can think of 3 cards right now I lost or let go because I wasn't ready to spend that amount. Two years later I'd be willing to pay over twice the selling amount for each one just to guarantee them in hand

Members online

Latest posts