Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

UNNUMBERD CARDS THAT ARE A **** TO FIND

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Those are just AWESOME!
Pick any years DLP Gold Sample that came inside Beckett card magazines during the 2000-2004 ranges -all are a pain to locate. Most scans do not even show the differences. Even the Grading pros screw them up unless a Silver is right next to it to see. Took me forever to locate the below Leaf Base Gold and by sheer dumb luck I found it when seller had good scans. Silver is shown for comparisons sake. Sent them in the same sub so they could SEE the difference and compare easier

attachment.php

attachment.php

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I really wonder if any 1991 Leaf Gold Rookies with base card numbers ever made it into packs.

Yes, I've posted a pic of a mussina several times before (from an annual) but wonder if it's actually an in house promo sent to hobby media back then.

Does anyone know of sales of any card?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Jan 14, 2009
I really wonder if any 1991 Leaf Gold Rookies with base card numbers ever made it into packs.

Yes, I've posted a pic of a mussina several times before (from an annual) but wonder if it's actually an in house promo sent to hobby media back then.

Does anyone know of sales of any card?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

They have all sold several times on eBay. None of them sold anywhere close to what they should have.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
They have all sold several times on eBay. None of them sold anywhere close to what they should have.
Sounds like demand is right in line with supply, at least in those cases. Rare doesn't always mean desired. Of course, any given item can be lost in the mess of items on ebay or anywhere online and skew prices. People can spend infinite hours searching and still miss things, because sellers are clueless on how to list items to attract views/bids. I have also seen Garvey items I missed in the sold listings, yet somehow they never showed up on my daily searches?? That makes no sense. This is especially true of items that ran for several days. There is no way I missed those. They didn't show up in my search.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Sounds like demand is right in line with supply, at least in those cases. Rare doesn't always mean desired. Of course, any given item can be lost in the mess of items on ebay or anywhere online and skew prices. People can spend infinite hours searching and still miss things, because sellers are clueless on how to list items to attract views/bids. I have also seen Garvey items I missed in the sold listings, yet somehow they never showed up on my daily searches?? That makes no sense. This is especially true of items that ran for several days. There is no way I missed those. They didn't show up in my search.

I don't know how that happens. One of my Jeff Frye white whales went unsold in 3 separate consecutive 7 day auctions before I saw it in an unrelated search.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I don't know how that happens. One of my Jeff Frye white whales went unsold in 3 separate consecutive 7 day auctions before I saw it in an unrelated search.
You'd think it would not happen, but it does...a lot. Too bad too, because that hurts everyone but the buyer who did see it, who maybe sneaks out a steal on some items.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I was looking through my Sizemores this weekend and thought about this thread. So many of them I've only seen one time and was lucky enough to obtain them. One that comes to mind is the 2007 Fleer (adjectiveless) mini gold. They made mini versions of the set, one corner die-cut. Most have a grey border along the bottom, but there was a much rarer gold parallel, where the bottom border is gold (tan). I got my Sizemore after seeing small lot of minis go unsold, and I noticed there was the Sizemore gold in it. I was able to buy it from the seller individually. I don't think I've ever seen another and it was just dumb luck I got that one.

Another group of impossible cards are the 2005 Playoff redemption sets. IIRC, they had redemption cards for each division winner, wild card, league, and World Series winner, I think it was 11 different versions overall. If the team on the card won that level in the playoffs, you could redeem it for a specially notated complete set. They range between 7 and 27 sets per tier, so merely finding them is pretty tough, and then player collectors have to hope a set will get broken up. I have 7 of them, and I doubt I'll ever find them all. One other interesting thing about them is they have different finishes. Some have a flat foil surface, others have a more refractive foil. Not sure if there was rhyme and reason for that.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I was looking through my Sizemores this weekend and thought about this thread. So many of them I've only seen one time and was lucky enough to obtain them. One that comes to mind is the 2007 Fleer (adjectiveless) mini gold. They made mini versions of the set, one corner die-cut. Most have a grey border along the bottom, but there was a much rarer gold parallel, where the bottom border is gold (tan). I got my Sizemore after seeing small lot of minis go unsold, and I noticed there was the Sizemore gold in it. I was able to buy it from the seller individually. I don't think I've ever seen another and it was just dumb luck I got that one.

Another group of impossible cards are the 2005 Playoff redemption sets. IIRC, they had redemption cards for each division winner, wild card, league, and World Series winner, I think it was 11 different versions overall. If the team on the card won that level in the playoffs, you could redeem it for a specially notated complete set. They range between 7 and 27 sets per tier, so merely finding them is pretty tough, and then player collectors have to hope a set will get broken up. I have 7 of them, and I doubt I'll ever find them all. One other interesting thing about them is they have different finishes. Some have a flat foil surface, others have a more refractive foil. Not sure if there was rhyme and reason for that.

.That was one Garvey parallel set I had to have complete and was finally able to land the last one. I will still pick up stray samples of just about anyone good if I see them cheap. It is a low print run (unnumbered) set that lots of people probably just don't know a lot about.

Funny thing is, It's not low numbered per se, but I still need the Garvey Red/25. I didn't even realize that it was only the color of the foil until recently. I probably missed one or more, just because I thought it was something I already had. they also have a red colored version, but that was something like 50 sets. Very confusing set.

Last thought, same set, I thought I had cornered the market on the Au /5. I had 1/5, 2/5, 3/5, 4/5 & 5/5. When I put away the last one, for some reason I took them all out and realized I had 2 different colors, but somehow managed to never repeat a number so it never raised my suspicion! There are TWO autograph sets /5, one black and one a deep purple. It was hard to tell them apart w/o good light! That set just kept on giving...

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Adding recent pickups to my Frank Thomas spreadsheet, I came across a card that was actually a bit tricky to identify. It's a 1951 Topps style mini with a Topps Heritage logo and a 2005 copyright date. I didn't open any Heritage that year so I didn't have direct knowledge, but had assumed it was from the 2005 Topps Heritage. But I couldn't find any on ebay until I looked for Bowman Heritage. There's only a couple on ebay, so I was really confused. Checking around the web, I did confirm it's from 2005 Bowman Heritage, and they are not supposed to be that tough, with 106 cards at 1:6 packs. Yet just 2 cards on ebay currently, though a bunch on COMC, and no Thomases. Unexciting insert from a not-super-popular brand equals tuff stuff, I guess.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Adding recent pickups to my Frank Thomas spreadsheet, I came across a card that was actually a bit tricky to identify. It's a 1951 Topps style mini with a Topps Heritage logo and a 2005 copyright date. I didn't open any Heritage that year so I didn't have direct knowledge, but had assumed it was from the 2005 Topps Heritage. But I couldn't find any on ebay until I looked for Bowman Heritage. There's only a couple on ebay, so I was really confused. Checking around the web, I did confirm it's from 2005 Bowman Heritage, and they are not supposed to be that tough, with 106 cards at 1:6 packs. Yet just 2 cards on ebay currently, though a bunch on COMC, and no Thomases. Unexciting insert from a not-super-popular brand equals tuff stuff, I guess.

I can agree on that one, those are tougher than you would think. I just picked up my last A's need from that set (Cliff Pennington) this year.

autocut

i have been retired from going after every Bernie card i could find. i have had mostly every top 90's card you could get, except a very few.
i have come to realize, it wasnt acquiring them that gave me the most thrill. It was the chase. The ones that seemed the hardest to find. the real tough ones were unnumberd. many overlooked by collectors when they came out. some were samples, mail in prizes or just crazy varients like pacific use to have. whats some of your tuffest finds and ones your still chasing.

View attachment 117306

I picked up an unsigned unreleased one from Donruss as I collect unreleased cards (rarities)

Attachments

• bernie_williams.jpg
    bernie_williams.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 21

autocut

This top version of this card wasn’t particularly difficult to find, but the one on bottom was. Subtle difference on the fronts and backs with different verbiage.

View attachment 117590

View attachment 117591

This one was supposed to be autographed.

View attachment 117592

View attachment 117593

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I've only seen one right after Fleer's bankruptcy. I'm still looking for one myself (unsigned version).

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Figured I'd chime in, because it doesn't come up often. I collect Al Oliver items when they are unique and decently priced. I don't have it in me to go all out at this point though, because so many people want too much for oddballs/variations anymore. He was an a variety of teams, but almost a decade with the Pirates, so they were definitely his longest tenure with any team. One day it would be neat to see him in the HOF. He was close with the traditional numbers, but not quite there. Often overshadowed by the likes of Clemente, Stargell and Parker.

Members online

Latest posts