Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage Pick Up Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
My all time favorite subset!!!!!
Going in, I wouldn't have figured that would be my last one. But those '61 MVP subsets are so sensitive to fish eyes and print lines that I was holding out for a nice looking example. Not sure why, maybe because all of the blue in the background. Although, 61's in general seem to have bad fish eye issues too..so maybe Topps just needed to upgrade their printing presses after the 1961 season.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Kind of changed gears last month and got an unopened itch that needed scratched. I got this 82 Topps Cello pack back from PSA. It was my first graded pack sub so wasn't sure what to expect. Glad it came back so high. I then wanted to get a couple more. Picked up the two 83 Topps wax packs because of the good HOF rookie class (one of them being Cub legend Ryne Sandberg). Then saw a '77 Topps wax pack for sale at a good price. Andre Dawson is one of my favorite players and his rookie is 1977, so it's a good fit in my collection. Plus it's my oldest pack I own.

IMG_2802.jpgIMG_2803.jpgIMG_2804.jpg

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Nice ! I have some unopened packs too. Some that are graded. Have you ever seen the 1983 Topps foil packs ? They were a test issue in the Michigan area.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Nice ! I have some unopened packs too. Some that are graded. Have you ever seen the 1983 Topps foil packs ? They were a test issue in the Michigan area.

I’ve heard of those Michigan test packs but haven’t seen any in person. Do you know the story behind them? I just know they’re not as common as normal wax packs.

I have some other unopened packs too. Bought a couple 1980 & 1982 wax packs from bbce a number of years ago. They’ve almost tripled in price since then. Was going to send them to get encased/graded but wanted to send a small “test” sub first since I had never done it before. Also have a few 1986 Topps football packs which are pretty cool with such a big hof rookie class that year.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
All I know about the foil packs is, that they were a test issue pack. Topps put them out in the Michigan area in 1983. I can't find the key to my storage closet I have. I know I have one or two of them. Here's a few un-opened packs I scanned a while ago.

The 1985 pack is only rare because of the white wrapper instead of a red wrapper for some reason or another. I've never seen one before. I stopped buying packs around 1998 or so.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Those are nice! I got into vintage unopened too late I think. Prices on the 70's-earlier stuff is so expensive now. No way am I affording a whole box, so I have to resort to packs and even those aren't cheap.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Those are nice! I got into vintage unopened too late I think. Prices on the 70's-earlier stuff is so expensive now. No way am I affording a whole box, so I have to resort to packs and even those aren't cheap.
Thanks. I bought my packs in the late 90's. I bought unopened Topps wax boxes from the late 70's and early 80's to build my baseball sets. When the boxes were a lot less expensive. And I had a little extra money. I wish I had bought more and not opened them the way the prices are now. But we all say that these days. :LOL:

Members online

Latest posts