Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Recent slab pickups / grading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
The next few subsets I will be blowing through as they have minimal items on my inventory lists so should be a quick look through for them Back in 2003 Topps produced a wonderful set of different subsets for its 2003 TOPPS TRIBUTE line. The one I'll be mainly dealing with is the Contemporary Tribute subset, which contained current MLB players and in particular the Clemens I needed to collect. There were multiple boxes put out, some dealing with the World Series subset. These had players who had played in a World Series, although the items were NOT necessarily used during those games. They also had Perennial All-Star boxes with game used items and autos from players who played in multiple AS games.

Info on the set can be found here 2003 TOPPS TRIBUTE

2003 TOPPS TRIBUTE CONTEMPORARY GOLD 27 ROGER CLEMENS
full.jpg

2003 TOPPS TRIBUTE CONTEMPORARY PERENNIAL ALL-STAR RC ROGER CLEMENS
full.jpg

2003 TOPPS TRIBUTE CONTEMPORARY WORLD SERIES DUAL RELICS ROGER CLEMENS MIKE PIAZZA
full.jpg

>
>
>

Just for a little context, back when I first brought that Piazza Dual forever ago, I had taken a very long look at it on eBay
Luckily the seller had really gone above and beyond with scans. I could detect no issues, so I took a flyer on it
In person inspection and blow ups revealed no funny business which made me do the happy dance
For the future, I scanned a rather large 600DPI closeup. Kept the scan around and recently took a new one with my newer scanner
Still looks fine with no issues even after years of ownership and banging around

full.jpg

I also have this double below still to slab, along with all the base and autos as well
Still looking for a CMJ triple with Randy Johnson and the CMJ Triple Red also
And no its not worth $299 for one- not even remotely in the ballpark whoever listed that Red Triple CMJ on ebay
full.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
As stated yesterday quickly blowing through some subsets for inventory girl. Next up is 2003 TOPPS PRISTINE
Didn't buy any so not much I can say about the set itself. Purchased all mine online.
Every time I look at his base card a part of me feels it was a cut and paste job in Adobe CS by Topps staff

Info about the series is contained 2003 TOPPS PRISTINE

Couldn't quickly locate my raw Gold Refractor. I'll show that when I do find it. Haven't slabbed the base item yet either
I believe I have 3 of the 5 available items slabbed already see below. Again will be going quick through the next series of stuff

full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
More scans for inventory girl. All Clemens today. Limiting my Timeless subset as I have to locate all the items
Limiting the Kanebo as I really don't slab base items normally so normally wouldn't even have slabs at all done

Three subsets I'll post some quick pictures on and their links to set info

Up first- my 2003 TOPPS KANEBO II Not sure where I buried the BGS 9 slab or if it's around still but last time I saw it was scanned 2018 = the Gem is newly scanned see below
full.jpg
full.jpg

Next up is the 2003 TIMELESS TREASURES I located quickly the rest we will see where they are at and get them scanned
I haven't slabbed any inserts, just a few jerseys and 1 auto. Seems like I have a dupe of that Yankees auto
guess it was sitting around, Gonna throw in my dupes pile and sell it or trade it off
The #10 Past and Present card is the Logo patch variation, there's a base variaton # to 100 I have but haven't slabbed yet
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

The 2003 STUDIO I will make short remarks on. I normally don't slab base jersey items numbered this high

The first #18 Jersey slab- the BGS 9 numbered # 110/300 - I packed pulled and got graded in April 2006
I then saw the jersey #22/300 one on eBay, bought it, and subbed it and got it back June 2008
While that one was at grading, I popped this other one I packed pulled - wound up a Gem- same week almost
And that is why if you look at the pop reports on BGS I happen to own all 3 of the pop report
I would have listed the dupes - but already had a plan to move to Vegas July 2008, and never got around to it
Now that I finally got around to gathering on 3 in one place- would keep them Gem and sell the others so into my sell pile they go

The Proof I subbed for obvious reasons as its a 1/1 2003 National Promo, and the MLB Logo 1/1 was a gift from Kevin @Pinbreaker
The Platinum again filled my # to 25 or under requirement for subs back then
Otherwise i still need to sub some base jerseys, autos, and inserts and lots of other items from these 3 sets
Not sure why that CY card is even slabbed musta been in a slab pile and I got tired of looking at it

I slabbed the SAMPLE variation of the Standing Base Jersey #17 variation because its a sample which fits my " first to slab" criteria

***And it just occurred to me 9 years after the fact my Atlantic City National Studio Proof 1/1 is MISLABELED ***

full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

And the dupe jersey piece
full.jpg

UPDATED 12/04/2022
=================
I am updating this post with some product and insert sample card info

In the JULY 2003 Beckett month Collector magazine, the 2nd to last page it will show the below ad about the upcoming SAMPLE card to be inserted into the AUGUST 2003 Beckett magazines. However- if you look at some August mag covers- they incorrectly ID the sample card that month as Leaf Certified. Uncorrected error- done a month early- never caught and since this stuff was sent 2-3 months in advance , it basically couldn't be corrected in time.

This has caused many a collector searching online to buy the wrong month Beckett magazines looking for their players sample cards. I always tried paying attention to those back pages as they were good sources of upcoming product or release info buried

Shown below are the BY THE BOX breakdown and the PRODUCT REVIEW along with the back cover AD promoting the product
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

Last edited:

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
More PSA slabs back. I dont remember sending the damaged Peyton Premiere Date in
Not sure why I'd do so , but hey, too late now to figure out why I did it
I expected that Silver Coaches Corner as its horribly off center wth some chipping just wanted it slabbed
Rest are you know where fodder as always and from either my PC or box breaks

Brady 08LRS Black is already headed to a new home- sold that the second it came back to pay bills
Buncha low pop items as usual and some first graded/ highest graded stuff also
full.jpg
full.jpg

full.jpg
full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg
full.jpg

full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Two BGS re-labels back that had wrong labels (Taylor) or labels that- ahem- got mashed sideways ( Mahomes) and had to be fixed
I have been prepping a bunch of BGS stuff, just haven't had funds free lately, hence concentrating on sales of PSA stuff
full.jpg
full.jpg

As always more PSA backlogs scanned. Bunch of the usual low pop, first graded, etc, etc stuff with some mixed result items as well
Will show the football first, then hoop and baseball. Most of these came from box breaks of prior years
Some are from Covid era mega cheap online buys on various websites
The Reggie is just like its 1985 counterpart set it honors - that black border shows off everything and is a bear to try and Gem
If you've ever tried gemming 1990's Topps Chrome stuff , you'll appreciate the difficulty of doing so

full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

Next up some from my Mahomes 2021 Prestige and a few hoops from the box break

full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Last up a bunch of baseball back. The 2001 Elite PC Blue I am in the middle of slabbing 3 sets worth
Gonna take a while. They are just nightmares to keep in good shape. For a DLP set- one that's tough to get 8's and above is unusual
This ones all about edges- they chip so easy. I only keep PSA 9 and higher so this could take a while
Rolen was a major disappointment missed an obvious issue. Oh well money burned away on that one

The Bagwell is from a set break. The Piazzas are from a cheap set of 2020 buys during Covid I am just now slabbing
The 1998 LRS Piazza is a monster hit that set is just plain tough to Gem from my experiences
I am sure @Dilferules will appreciate seeing him in an A's uniform

The Bernie's I buy every year, then slab , and try to raise funds for IPF awareness
I then use some of the funds to buy new ones to slab and rinse and repeat

The Buehler's I have a regular set of customers on PSA's registry so as I come across any I'll slab and sell off
Arm trouble or not , he's still one of the best pitchers in the bigs. The Black/67 and Mothers Day/50 are two of the tougher inserts
Already at their new homes sold them the day they came back

Last the Big Macs- well I'm still slabbing my Big Mac as I come across
Had slabbed a bunch of PSA 9 Early Risers this was my first PSA 10

full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

full.jpg
full.jpg

full.jpg
full.jpg

full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

full.jpg
full.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Just a few cards so far for my Clemens 2003 Playoff Portraits registry stuff
From 2003 backwards my storage units are a real mess- this is gonna take me months to sift through all the junk inside each unit
I have a bunch in to be newly graded , and re-slabbed in some cases, as the old ones are scratched, or in PSA slabs in many cases

Info on the set can be found 2003 PLAYOFF PORTRAITS

full.jpg

These below are what I located and updated pictures in my Clemens registry
My two Fanfest cards and my Red National # 15, including my first attempt with the National now a dupe to sell off
Plus for some odd reason- I slabbed a base card way back when- go figure

I am also going to make a post in another thread as it relates to this series
The post will have a bunch of the promos, samples, blank backs etc I haven't slabbed yet and some other stuff
For now though- the 5 items I do have slabbed
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

full.jpg
full.jpg

Last edited:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
The Bagwell is from a set break. The Piazzas are from a cheap set of 2020 buys during Covid I am just now slabbing
The 1998 LRS Piazza is a monster hit that set is just plain tough to Gem from my experiences
I am sure @Dilferules will appreciate seeing him in an A's uniform

View attachment 343126

Yes, that's one of my favorite Piazza A's cards, the Red Refractors really popped that year and since they are numbered /99 instead of /25 like they would later be, it was easier to put together the team set.
07tcredrefpiazza.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Be doing more series as I get back to the backlog this week. Taking some time as messy storage units means messy cleanup. Lots of time wasted on the simple stuff I could have done years ago and just did not
When I can , I am going to start showing the sample magazines, if I have the product info reviews, or ad materials
One thing about my storage units- they are a huge mess and not exactly well executed/ inventoried
Just shoved stuff away from my apartments. So as I go through them and give/sell away I'll "try" and show what I can with what I find

To clarify some missing stuff - as I show off the graded Clemens stuff for inventory girl- it is ONLY what is listed in my 2017 graded card inventory
Meaning people will see me skip large swathes of sets that either were not slabbed yet, or just not inventoried yet
Ask anyone who has scanned 1000+ cards the time involved = and realize I have 3000+ Clemens slabs
Oh- and Beckett's registry IT people basically trashed old pic files. Meaning I am re-scanning years of graded slabs
And uploading the new pics at the same time I do the inventory. I have to deleted Red x files out and insert new ones
The older files all show the dreaded Red X - meaning pic files are gone forever ( not happy about that but what can we do)

I'll be skipping for example 2003 UD Patch Collection ( too thick saved on the side), 2003 UD McDonald's ( base cards) 2003 UD Victory ( all base , just color variations with just a few numbered items) , 2003 UD Game Face (too thick again) etc etc etc for various reasons. Topps T205 ( all mini or base with maybe a couple jerseys)= I mean the list goes on and on
Doesn't mean I don't own any, just means no scans required yet for her, and for me nothing to go through yet
Just setting all those items aside for my next inventory , and some have been sitting in "to be graded" piles for 10 years or more

Next up on the old graded card inventory list is 2003 PLAYOFF PRESTIGE stuff. Not much memory of opening this stuff
Think I was busy elsewhere. So no old memories to share about cracking open the boxes back when
However I did open a box back in 2018 see 2003 PLAYOFF PRESTIGE BOX

Info about the series can be found here 2003 PLAYOFF PRESTIGE INFO

I have slabbed most of my # 58 versions and a few inserts already no base or high numbered stuff yet
I'm still locating stuff folks so bear with me as I find stuff will show pictures and update my records

First up is the Patches base and Patches Auto. I don't have the Stars of MLB base item/150 slabbed yet

full.jpg
full.jpg

Next up is his # 58 Base card versions and variations. I probably have a few more dupes lying around
Not sure I own the Samples Gold one- still taking inventory so not even sure one is around
I do have a spare Xtra Points Purple raw that's his jersey # 22/150. Have both the base ACN and special ACN VIP 1/1 version as well
I do not have any of the higher numbered Inside the Numbers or Connection items in slabs yet
I also have not slabbed my insert Diamond Heritage base or Gold yet

The RETAIL only Xtra Points Green was especially difficult to locate despite being # to 150
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

And as usual I have a dupe slabbed
full.jpg
Samples were found in the JULY 2003 Beckett Baseball magazines. Supposedly just 10% of the print run had the Gold Samples. I learned recently that my own info about every one in 10 mags having a Gold one was wrong- a common misconception apparently believed by many. Thankfully I re- read my own materials and learned of my own mistaken beliefs

Shown below is the mag front with an insert example still in inside

I need to see if I can find the mag that had the product review in it - so far no luck- missing a few months of magazines so far
full.jpg
full.jpg

Last edited:

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
@Greg Cleveland and @WizardofOz1982 NICE ADDITIONS
Just catching up on 3 months of readings and those are sweet !!!

After months of handling personal business, and old age heart health issues, back at the Clemens inventory scans
I will also post some slabs that came back. Many are long gone and some may or may not be soon of course
I literally finished 3 years of scanning stuff over 3 months while ill, and mailed them over 30 days to the inventory lady
Wont be needing to spend time on that inventory for a while

Some updates on stuff I found looking for other slabs, figured I'd show

First up- while its considered by me as a base card of no unique importance, decided to slab a uniform # base item from 2005 Pristine

The 2005 TOPPS PRISTINE posts I showed were just the rare ones I already had slabbed. This is the newest addition to that years stuff. I linked the prior posts and bolded in case someone missed the old posts
full.jpg
I also located what is perhaps the hardest of the Playoff Champions NL subset - the NL West Division Champions which supposedly had a print run of / 7
Slabbed now . So I have the NL Wild Card, NL West Champs and World Series which knocks off the 3 hardest there
If you've ever tried scanning foil board type cards, they are the worst. Still can't afford the phone I want to end this poor pictures charade on foil cards
full.jpg
The other cards in the 2005 Prestige set I showed already are HERE - 2005 PRESTIGE

I also had time to get the label fixed on that 2003 Atlantic City National Studio Proof 1/1 card I showed most recently several posts above
It is now corrected. While I was at it located my raw 2003 ACN regular /5 version and had that one slabbed
And located two other 2003 Prestige items and scanned those in now
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Next on the inventory list is 2003 PLAYOFF PIECE OF THE GAME. I refused to buy individual boxes from my dealer
Instead I always asked for full boxes so I knew I was the seal breaker on the inside boxes. This was a last second DLP production
I think they did a great job on it for such a rush job .

Last time I opened a full box of this was back in 2018- see this post 2003 PIECE OF THE GAME BOX BREAK
I absolutely loved this series- a fun break, always a surprise who was in it- felt like lottery scratch tickets
It was also great that tons of player collectors got to get stuff from their guys, including lots of unique items

Info about the set can be found here 2003 Playoff Piece of the Game set info

I tried locating a magazine with a product review- couldn't find. There was no sample put into any of the Beckett magazines
If I do find the product review, or any of my ads, will come back and update this post
Still missing some 2003 Beckett's and all my Tuff Stuff they may be back east in the MA storage units

Up first is the two PLAYER COLLECTION jerseys. Just like Absolute,Prestige, and Studio, there were two different versions for Clemens
A Standing Away Grey Jersey and a Leg Lift Home White version
full.jpg
full.jpg
Afterwards is the #81 GREY AWAY JERSEY

Of the 8 available cards I have 7 slabbed. Over the years have had multiple chances to buy the Auto/Prime Jsy # to 5 just never had the funds
Always seems to get listed at a price well above my own personal limit for that item
The Platinum's by the way are beautiful cards with a nice Holo bluish tint to the labels

full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

As usual I have dupes accumulated

full.jpg
full.jpg

Last edited:

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Next on the inventory list is 2003 PLAYOFF PIECE OF THE GAME. I refused to buy individual boxes from my dealer
Instead I always asked for full boxes so I knew I was the seal breaker on the inside boxes. This was a last second DLP production
I think they did a great job on it for such a rush job .

Last time I opened a full box of this was back in 2018- see this post 2003 PIECE OF THE GAME BOX BREAK
I absolutely loved this series- a fun break, always a surprise who was in it- felt like lottery scratch tickets
It was also great that tons of player collectors got to get stuff from their guys, including lots of unique items

Info about the set can be found here 2003 Playoff Piece of the Game set info

I tried locating a magazine with a product review- couldn't find. There was no sample put into any of the Beckett magazines
If I do find the product review, or any of my ads, will come back and update this post
Still missing some 2003 Beckett's and all my Tuff Stuff they may be back east in the MA storage units

Up first is the two PLAYER COLLECTION jerseys. Just like Absolute,Prestige, and Studio, there were two different versions for Clemens
A Standing Away Grey Jersey and a Leg Lift Home White version
View attachment 345706
View attachment 345707
Afterwards is the #81 GREY AWAY JERSEY

Of the 8 available cards I have 7 slabbed. Over the years have had multiple chances to buy the Auto/Prime Jsy # to 5 just never had the funds
Always seems to get listed at a price well above my own personal limit for that item
The Platinum's by the way are beautiful cards with a nice Holo bluish tint to the labels

View attachment 345708
View attachment 345709
View attachment 345710
View attachment 345711
View attachment 345712
View attachment 345713
View attachment 345714

As usual I have dupes accumulated

View attachment 345715
View attachment 345716
And there I was, all happy had grabbed a gold /50 finally lol.....

Another nice run! And nice 22 uniform #

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
And there I was, all happy had grabbed a gold /50 finally lol.....

Another nice run! And nice 22 uniform #
Gold of which one?? the Home 81 jsy, or the away # 82 jersey ?? Nice accomplishment !!
Last up is the #82 WHITE PINSTRIPE HOME JERSEY
Same deal I have 7 of the 8 available ,and again I couldn't afford overpaying on the Auto/Prime jsy # to 5 when it appears. One of these days will be able to afford the # to 5 big money items when they show :cautious:
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

Members online