Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1995 Score gold Redeemed question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Agreed!! Not a realistic card to have faked. Too many uniform holes on the design to make it worth the time to do that, at least well enough to pass as legit.

I remember seeing those when I first got them and thinking that most people would have just thrown them away too. I'm a guy that keeps everything. I put together at least 8 or 9 different teams, mostly teams that had 1 or 2 good players in them, so once I get to my parent's house, I will see what I have. I know I didn't throw them away, just can't remember what teams I put together.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
And I'm a little curious. What do you guys think the market is on these punched redemptions? I'm as hardcore as the next guy, but until reading the boards, I didn't really think anyone other than my dorky self would want the punched cards. I wanted every little variation I could, but that's just me.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
clarkfan said:
And I'm a little curious. What do you guys think the market is on these punched redemptions? I'm as hardcore as the next guy, but until reading the boards, I didn't really think anyone other than my dorky self would want the punched cards. I wanted every little variation I could, but that's just me.

I would say prices will fluctuate from very common to extremely uncommon, depending who is featured, how many fans the player has, and the availability.

If, for example, you have a stamped Series 2 Thomas, I'd be willing to go to war with my fellow fans. :lol:

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Greg Cleveland said:
clarkfan, how long would it take you to get to your parent's house? :lol:

You've got more than a few of us anxious to see what treasures may be a-waitin' there! Arrr, matey!

Probably next week sometime. You guys will the first to know when I do :)

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
clarkfan said:
Greg Cleveland said:

You've got more than a few of us anxious to see what treasures may be a-waitin' there! Arrr, matey!

This is going to be the longest few dys of my life :( Don't you need a nice home cooked meal or do a load of laundry.
Maybe borrow your dads table saw?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
HawaiianLance said:
predatorkj said:
I wonder though...whats the odds that these could be faked?

If they were, and I don't think they are, you wouldn't sit there and poke each individual 'hole'.

You'd have to design, create and purchase a die-punch. It's not something a typical collector will have access to. Additionally, it's not a hand-punch. The size and position on the cards says that it's a frame punch.

A hand-punch you might've seen used at places like a public bus when they give you a transfer or fast food operation which gives out free food after purchasing so many foodstuffs (the local Subways here used to have a hand-punch card; after purchasing a dozen sandwiches a fully punched card earned you a free meal), and other similar types of businesses.

But the placement on the card is too even; not to mention a hand-punch will typically leave an ugly bend or indentation if not done perfectly. All the redemptions I've seen are in the exact same position - meaning it's a frame-punch. Sort of like a hole-punch you might have seen used for papers. Again, that speaks to a professional operation - not something a typical collector would have access to, or want to pursue as a fake.

I'm not saying it would be impossible. Especially today - the internet has given open access to many businesses that would've been wholly unknown outside of industry professionals just ten years ago.

I am saying it's highly unlikely.

You are most likely correct.I know, monetarily, it wouldn't be worth it but I just figured these things would actually sell so I was wondering if that alone might be motivation enough for some people.I guess maybe I am just too paranoid at times.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
predatorkj said:
You are most likely correct.

For the moment - yes. But it could so easily change.

That's the double-edge sword of sharing information like this - it could so easily be used against us collectors.

predatorkj said:
I know, monetarily, it wouldn't be worth it but I just figured these things would actually sell so I was wondering if that alone might be motivation enough for some people.

Exactly right.

If the scumbags like Burge feels there's money to be had - it's always a possibility.

This is very reminiscent of the infamous 1997 Score White Border Artist Proof Scam from a few years back. So I don't think you can be too careful.

If, all of a sudden, a ton of these stamped versions start showing up all at once... <shrug>

You know the saying: "Sure, but what do you call it when they really ARE after me?"

:lol:

Lance ;-D

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
clarkfan said:
Greg Cleveland said:

if you have Canseco i'd love to trade for it if possible.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
HawaiianLance said:
predatorkj said:
You are most likely correct.

For the moment - yes. But it could so easily change.

That's the double-edge sword of sharing information like this - it could so easily be used against us collectors.

predatorkj said:
I know, monetarily, it wouldn't be worth it but I just figured these things would actually sell so I was wondering if that alone might be motivation enough for some people.

Exactly right.

If the scumbags like Burge feels there's money to be had - it's always a possibility.

This is very reminiscent of the infamous 1997 Score White Border Artist Proof Scam from a few years back. So I don't think you can be too careful.

If, all of a sudden, a ton of these stamped versions start showing up all at once... <shrug>

You know the saying: "Sure, but what do you call it when they really ARE after me?"

Lance ;-D

Or..."Its not whether you are paranoid or not, its whether you are paranoid enough."

In any case...whenever I buy anything that could be faked at all...I try to keep that in mind.I have passed on a few things that were probably a good buy but I just don't want to get screwed over.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
HawaiianLance said:
This is very reminiscent of the infamous 1997 Score White Border Artist Proof Scam from a few years back.

please elaborate for those of us not in the know.

also a question about score baseball at the time vs score hockey at the time.
i was all hockey back then, so my baseball knowlege is lacking. this is what
score did with hockey in 96...

SakicGroup10.jpg

it was a real pita tracking these all down, especially since the internet was an infant! lol

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
HawaiianLance said:
This is very reminiscent of the infamous 1997 Score White Border Artist Proof Scam from a few years back.

Ah yes... Score. For baseball collectors, 1997 was the infamous year. Too deep a hole for us to dig into today, but trust me - I feel your pain. :lol:

RE: Scam

Right. This happened around 2000, before the attacks. Some sellers (this is notable) began offering what was then a fairly decent (tough) insert - the 1 per box Artist's Proof from '97 Score. Now, given that there were 500-something players selected, getting 'your' player's specific AP was a pretty big deal back then. So prices were fairly nosebleed for the top guys - I remember the Juice Co. getting some serious attention from fans; a Sosa that went for more than $250!

And as you can imagine this was very much appreciated by just about everyone. The talk on the various boards back then was fun speculation on just how many cases these guys had busted in order to get that many APs.

Auction after auction after auction. This went on for a solid month. Now, keep in mind that, in many respects, we were collectively a lot more naive back then. No one thought: "Fake".

But after the initial bloodletting, still more and more of these APs kept showing up. And it seemed highly improbably these guys could be 'getting back' on their case investments since the prices had dropped so significantly. Top players were getting bids of like $5 and then these same sellers were bundling up lots of APs (something like 20 for $9.99 and 50 for $14.99) which seemed really bizarre.

The problem was (and still is) that the AP designation was a simple foil stamp with a very simple design - a circle with the words Artist's Proof in a well known font. Nothing else. No card designation, no foil, no embossing, again - not even a complex design.

That's when it dawned on everyone at the time - we were had. Word spread, but the damage had been done. And remember how I mentioned there were several sellers? Turns out after some research - these mutts were connected to a print shop (IIRC, it was in NJ) and had pumped out thousands of these fakes. Each one completely indistinguishable from the real pack-pulled versions.

I bought one of those lots - just to see what I'd get. Ever see 10 APs of LaTroy Hawkins? No? How about 10 of Jim Eiesenreich?

Still have them suckers somewhere...

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
HawaiianLance said:
ThoseBackPages said:
HawaiianLance said:

Ah yes... Score. For baseball collectors, 1997 was the infamous year. Too deep a hole for us to dig into today, but trust me - I feel your pain. :lol:

RE: Scam

Right. This happened around 2000, before the attacks. Some sellers (this is notable) began offering what was then a fairly decent (tough) insert - the 1 per box Artist's Proof from '97 Score. Now, given that there were 500-something players selected, getting 'your' player's specific AP was a pretty big deal back then. So prices were fairly nosebleed for the top guys - I remember the Juice Co. getting some serious attention from fans; a Sosa that went for more than $250!

And as you can imagine this was very much appreciated by just about everyone. The talk on the various boards back then was fun speculation on just how many cases these guys had busted in order to get that many APs.

Auction after auction after auction. This went on for a solid month. Now, keep in mind that, in many respects, we were collectively a lot more naive back then. No one thought: "Fake".

But after the initial bloodletting, still more and more of these APs kept showing up. And it seemed highly improbably these guys could be 'getting back' on their case investments since the prices had dropped so significantly. Top players were getting bids of like $5 and then these same sellers were bundling up lots of APs (something like 20 for $9.99 and 50 for $14.99) which seemed really bizarre.

The problem was (and still is) that the AP designation was a simple foil stamp with a very simple design - a circle with the words Artist's Proof in a well known font. Nothing else. No card designation, no foil, no embossing, again - not even a complex design.

That's when it dawned on everyone at the time - we were had. Word spread, but the damage had been done. And remember how I mentioned there were several sellers? Turns out after some research - these mutts were connected to a print shop (IIRC, it was in NJ) and had pumped out thousands of these fakes. Each one completely indistinguishable from the real pack-pulled versions.

I bought one of those lots - just to see what I'd get. Ever see 10 APs of LaTroy Hawkins? No? How about 10 of Jim Eiesenreich?

Still have them suckers somewhere...

See...that worries the hell out of me.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
predatorkj said:

I think you're reading too much into what I wrote - seriously.

Did it happen? Yes. But if I were a witness to a shark attack - and I told you about it - I honestly don't think you should have it in the forefront of your mind every single time you go to the beach.

Trust me - collectively we're all much more aware of fakes and fakers; we're also more pessimistic than before - with good reason.

If there's a sudden surge of these stamped '95 Score GR Redemptions - then worry. Think 'Jaws' - when you see the floating bed suddenly twist and a rush of red shoots up outta the water - that's the sign somethings bad. <g>

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
HawaiianLance said:
predatorkj said:

I think you're reading too much into what I wrote - seriously.

Did it happen? Yes. But if I were a witness to a shark attack - and I told you about it - I honestly don't think you should have it in the forefront of your mind every single time you go to the beach.

Trust me - collectively we're all much more aware of fakes and fakers; we're also more pessimistic than before - with good reason.

If there's a sudden surge of these stamped '95 Score GR Redemptions - then worry. Think 'Jaws' - when you see the floating bed suddenly twist and a rush of red shoots up outta the water - that's the sign somethings bad. <g>

Yeah but when I go to the beach I do think of sharks.I know first hand they are out there.Bad analogy Lance! :lol:

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
Back Pages,
Your Joe Sakic cards are driving me crazy. I can't find Waldo. What is the difference in top two on left and bottom 2 on left? PLease ease my pain.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
cbrandtw said:
Back Pages,
Your Joe Sakic cards are driving me crazy. I can't find Waldo. What is the difference in top two on left and bottom 2 on left? PLease ease my pain.

Will do, no worries. (it amazes me that i remember this 13 years later, to be honest)

That year, Score had a contest where every base card had a code on the back which
you needed a "decoder" to tell if you had a "winner" card.

after a while, if you simply looked at enough of the "scrambled" codes, you could
tell which were "winners" and which wernt without the decoder.

the cards in question that have you puzzled are simply winner and non winner base
and winner and non winner "artists proofs" of those cards.

The two (top and bottom) on the right hand side are another animal all together
(that i cannot remember the details, sorry). But you had to have your local hobby
dealer redeem it for you, to get back the "special" Artists Proof of the card

Members online