Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1933 Goudey #181 Babe Ruth-Real or Fake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
You should let him know that it is indeed a reprint so he [hopefully] does not rip off any potential buyers. Just my $.02

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
scotty21690 said:
You should let him know that it is indeed a reprint so he [hopefully] does not rip off any potential buyers. Just my $.02

The seller knows this card is fake. The card in question wasn't even made when he allegedly got it from his grandfather, unless I'm really mistaken about when Renata Galasso was doing the Goudey reprint sets (I thought those were made well into the 80's). Just another dirtbag trying to take advantage of someone he thinks doesn't know any better.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
DeliciousBacon said:
scotty21690 said:

The seller knows this card is fake. The card in question wasn't even made when he allegedly got it from his grandfather, unless I'm really mistaken about when Renata Galasso was doing the Goudey reprint sets (I thought those were made well into the 80's). Just another dirtbag trying to take advantage of someone he thinks doesn't know any better.
I figured there was a slight chance that he genuinely was not aware the card is a reprint. Many people (even dealers) might not know a whole lot about vintage cards. If he is trying to pull a fast one, then I hope he doesn't ever end up selling it. Sadly there will be one mis-informed buyer who will drop a lot of cash on an old looking reprint. It happens all too often which is why I don't tend to purchase any higher end vintage cards not in a PSA/SGC slab.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
ChasHawk said:
A real back for reference...

$(KGrHqRHJCwE8fezDYDyBPOybjv)T!~~60_3.JPG
Charlie, that one particular example is indeed a fake.....

....Babe Ruth didn't weigh 210 lbs!

:lol:

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
ChasHawk said:
A real back for reference...

$(KGrHqRHJCwE8fezDYDyBPOybjv)T!~~60_3.JPG

Yeah, this thread is about 10 days dead but I was doing random searches and saw it. A tell tale sign of a legit '33 Goudey is in the scan above. At the bottom of the back, you can see the faint red bar where on the front of the card is the red bar saying "Big League Chewing Gum". This is due to when they were printed, the sheets were put on top of each other before the ink had a chance to dry. You definitely will not see this on a reprint.

Members online

Latest posts