Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anybody know what this Ruth GU piece is?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Curious about the blue & red colored thing in the left window. The ebay seller describes it as a GU base, which seems odd. The card only says "memorabilia" on the back so they are no help at all.

ruth2.jpg

One of these sold a short while back that looked similar though and that seller seller described it as a GU bat with pine tar. That one was a little more revealing as it also shows some wood grain? at the bottom... BUt these look like layers of paint from a wooden seat or something almost to me. ANybody have one of these in hand or know what the pieces are? Thanks for any info.

ruth1.jpg

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I'm pretty sure that Topps said those were from benches/seats. They're not bat pieces. Topps offered boxes of Tribute to people who weren't happy getting "game used relics" as opposed to game used bats.

howardpwr06

May 13, 2010
Pennsylvania
I believe back when those first released that the big rumor was they were from seats. Im not certain on it but it would still be a cool memorabiliia piece to have. Hope this helped a little.

If you really would want to know, you could always call topps and ask to speak with a representative.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Thanks for the insights guys...seats make sense. Although that is pretty weak to have a "game used" seat as a Ruth memorabilia piece... :shock: At least it is colorful... Just wanted to know before buying any of those. I guess that means that some of the other plain wooden relics in 2009 tribute from other players and Ruth too could be seats instead of bats?

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
carrsallstars said:
Thanks for the insights guys...seats make sense. Although that is pretty weak to have a "game used" seat as a Ruth memorabilia piece... :shock: At least it is colorful... Just wanted to know before buying any of those. I guess that means that some of the other plain wooden relics in 2009 tribute from other players and Ruth too could be seats instead of bats?

Yes sir. I could be wrong, but I don't think any of them were bats. Don't quote me on that (left the door open :lol: ), but I think that's why they went with "game used relic" instead of game used bat. I know a lot of people were pissed when they found out.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Yeah but the Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig pieces with pinstripes from 2009 tribute are from actual game worn jerseys, right? Not something like team issued luggage or leisure suits or handkerchiefs? ::facepalm:: Never even thought those could be anything but game worn jersey... I haven't even looked at what the Cobb and Jackie Robinson stuff from this set looks like either...

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
carrsallstars said:
Yeah but the Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig pieces with pinstripes from 2009 tribute are from actual game worn jerseys, right? Not something like team issued luggage or leisure suits or handkerchiefs? ::facepalm:: Never even thought those could be anything but game worn jersey... I haven't even looked at what the Cobb and Jackie Robinson stuff from this set looks like either...

Those were jerseys. I just think that all of the wood pieces were seats instead of bats.

francisjniskey

Oct 28, 2008
I wouldn't count on it.

carrsallstars said:

francisjniskey

Oct 28, 2008
LOL - Yeah, Nice guys huh? Makes you want to go out and buy their cards..LOL

chashawk said:
francisjniskey said:
Here you go: http://www.freedomcardboard.com/?p=363

If you want good Babe Ruth game used cards stick with Donruss/Leaf, Upperdeck, Fleer, and earlier Topps which I like to call the Pre-Relic era. All there stuff now is garbage.
And they were offering a single pack of Tribute for cards people paid $100+ for. ::facepalm::

A_Pharis

Much like the T206 Relics. It's funny how many people - at first - refused to believe these were seats. Some people even said it was paint from Ruth's bat -- because we all know how many times Ruth used a blue/turquoise bat, right?

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
A_Pharis said:
Much like the T206 Relics. It's funny how many people - at first - refused to believe these were seats. Some people even said it was paint from Ruth's bat -- because we all know how many times Ruth used a blue/turquoise bat, right?
You can tell from the grain of the wood that its not from a bat, looks more like birch than ash or maple.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
In any event it is a sad commentary on the hobby when a night of "homework" precedes purchasing any nice GU or patch or even auto'd baseball card.

Members online

Latest posts