Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Matt Kemp... Why no hype?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
I think the east coast thing is a little overblown. Sure the NYY and BOS get a TON of airplay, but the rest of the teams don't get anymore than a good west coast team would get. It does have to do with being good. The Lakers get tons of coverage in the NBA. Arguably the most. You just have to be worth covering as a team.

It's sad what's happened with LA. The ownership has ruined a classic franchise.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
East coast bias...SHUT UP.

IT'S TIME ZONE DIFFERENCES.

75% of the country does not want to see a "prime time" game that starts at 8 or 9 pm. That isn't prime time to us

And Dodger fans are extremely overdefensive.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
markakis8 said:
The NL MVP will be one of the most intriguing photo-finishes I can remember in a while.

I could see ANY of these guys getting a 1st place vote for MVP:

Braun, Prince, Kemp, Berkman, Pujols, Upton, Victorino, Jose Reyes, Ryan Howard, Votto, McCann, or Kimbrel.

Maybe Kemp isn't getting much hype because so many guys are getting hype and there's only so much hype to go around.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
This guy is just so much fun to watch. I am glad he has turned this around this year and the talent is showing through. With all the appearances he does in Los Angeles he really seems like a good person, I am glad his talent is turning into MVP numbers. Right now he'd be my choice.

saferseas

Mar 9, 2010
Portland, OR
nborton said:
I think the east coast thing is a little overblown. Sure the NYY and BOS get a TON of airplay, but the rest of the teams don't get anymore than a good west coast team would get. It does have to do with being good. The Lakers get tons of coverage in the NBA. Arguably the most. You just have to be worth covering as a team.

I disagree with this. The Angels won 100 games in 2008 and have been in fairly regular contention the last 8 or 9 years, and no one even notices.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
saferseas said:
nborton said:

I disagree with this. The Angels won 100 games in 2008 and have been in fairly regular contention the last 8 or 9 years, and no one even notices.

Read my sig....if you still wonder why...then there may be something wrong with you... :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hollywood

Jan 30, 2010
They have lost only once in the last 9 games sine Kemp was changed to 3rd in the order instead of 4th. Could have made up some serious ground the last two to three weeks but the snakes keep winning. No one in their right mind saw Justin Sellers as the spark plug the offense would get this season. He's the catalyst that made the team feel like winners again.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
alexs64 said:
JoshHamilton said:
East coast bias...SHUT UP.

IT'S TIME ZONE DIFFERENCES.

75% of the country does not want to see a "prime time" game that starts at 8 or 9 pm. That isn't prime time to us

And Dodger fans are extremely overdefensive.

What exactly is "Prime Time" in your area???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_time

7-9.

Most west coast games start at 9 pm (for Eastern, 10). Most people can't stay up till midnight to watch a baseball game.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
7 p.m. West Coast starts being at 10 p.m. here in the east. That means if you want to watch a full game, plan on being up past 1 a.m. Most of us aren't going to do that.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
7 p.m. West Coast starts being at 10 p.m. here in the east. That means if you want to watch a full game, plan on being up past 1 a.m. Most of us aren't going to do that.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
James52411 said:

I guess I'm in the sweet spot! East coast games start at 5PM mountain and West Coast 8PM mountain. Games usually over by about 11PM mountain. I can't believe ESPN doesn't hold off on BBTN until 1am ET to catch most of the final outs of the west coast games rather than the lame "Watch SportsCenter to find out how the game ends".

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
I understand the Dodgers aren't going to the playoffs, but they are a winning team and this man deserves to be the NL MVP. I just got back from the last home game of the season and Matt Kemp is just remarkable. 4-5 with three doubles and a home run. Two of the doubles would have been home runs in most parks, and probably would've gotten out in a day game, and his home run was a typical moon shot in his last at bat of the season. Check out these numbers. I hate to say this, but he has a LEGITIMATE shot at the triple crown going into the last week of the season.

36 home runs- 2nd in the national league
118 runs batted in- 1st in the national league
.326 batting average- 3rd in the national league, a little over three points behind Braun. He has raised his average 12 points in the last six games bating .600 in that time span
40 Stolen bases- 2nd in the National League
109 runs scored- First in the National League
24 Intentional Walks- 2nd in the National League
.985 OPS- First in the National League

This guy has had no protection behind him all season, with Uribe being awful and Loney and Ethier having down years. At times Aaron Miles has batted behind him, what a season this guy is having. And before the game he was out signing autographs for everyone. He took the time to sign my 8x10, truly awesome. Not a Dodger fan, but this guy is my type of player someone you can really root for.

455b5050.jpg

e7a12915.jpg

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
He's a good player. Those of us on the East Coast who, you know, work for a living can't be up at 1 or 2 in the morning watching games. There's ESPN Los Angeles for the overnight crowd to watch. Matt Kemp doesn't smoke crack, **** it up, get drunk daily, beat his wife or girlfriend, say stupid **** to the media or act like a thug, that's why he gets no media coverage.

I can't remember who posted it and I'm not gonna go back and look, but you amde a backdoor smackdown towards Josh Hamilton and poked fun at his recovery problems. Well, as a recovering alcoholic, SHUT THE **** UP !!!

There is NO east coast bias, the world does not revolve around the Left Coast, so get over it

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
bowmanchromeandorr said:
He's a good player. Those of us on the East Coast who, you know, work for a living can't be up at 1 or 2 in the morning watching games. There's ESPN Los Angeles for the overnight crowd to watch. Matt Kemp doesn't smoke crack, **** it up, get drunk daily, beat his wife or girlfriend, say stupid shat to the media or act like a thug, that's why he gets no media coverage.

I can't remember who posted it and I'm not gonna go back and look, but you amde a backdoor smackdown towards Josh Hamilton and poked fun at his recovery problems. Well, as a recovering alcoholic, SHUT THE **** UP !!!

There is NO east coast bias, the world does not revolve around the Left Coast, so get over it

He's a great player, you say that his games are on too late for East Coast people to see them, then you say there's no East Coast bias.

The East Coast bias is SPECIFICALLY because we dont see those games, we just catch the box scores or highlights the next day. And if we dont catch them the next morning we're on to the next day and we never see them.

He's a CF (sort of) challenging for the triple crown. He's GREAT but he's on the wrong coast.

jeff152380

Feb 23, 2010
Vermont
.03 behind in avg, tied for 1st in home runs and 1st in RBI... oh and add the 40sbs.... still not enough love for the VERY real chance of triple crown and 40-40 in the same season... which would go down as one of the greatest season in baseball history!

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
jeff152380 said:
.03 behind in avg, tied for 1st in home runs and 1st in RBI... oh and add the 40sbs.... still not enough love for the VERY real chance of triple crown and 40-40 in the same season... which would go down as one of the greatest season in baseball history!

Amazing

marterburn

jeff152380 said:

also leads the league in runs & second in slugging.

Members online

Latest posts