Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

thoughts on getting a superfractor autographed in person????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'd never get something like that signed, pc or not. Reason being is we all kick the bucket eventually and yes I am sure someone will buy it but it takes the choice out of their hands. With a card that isn't as limited, people can decide whether or not they want yours if it is ever for sale. With a 1/1, a supercollector might come along and now it's either buy your IP auto'd super, or nothing at all. This of course is just my opinion. I have plenty of cards I get signed but none of them are limited in any way. I love to use rookies to get signed but usually do so with either a topps base or a topps chrome. IMO, those look great signed and with the glossy fronts of the cards, it says something about your luck and prepping skills because a lot of people mess those up from bad prepping/luck.

Also, baby powder isn't necessary. A polo shirt works just fine.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I should start collecting supers of an A's player. The green and yellow/gold really pop on Superfractors.

I'd go ahead and do it. My choice would be the Bowman Chrome, as you get a better look at his face and it just seems more suitable for a signature.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
prep it with baby powder and get the right staedler as mentioned. will be awesome signed

I've never used baby powder, I simply use my top to rub the signing area for a few second s as long as its cotton.

The most important tip: Staedtler....with a broken in pen tip

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Get them signed. They have value either way.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I personally wouldn't get them signed. Possibly a /100 if I had another, but nothing rare. I feel it would ruin the rare cards.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Get them signed. They have value either way.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Value isn't really, IMO, the main issue. It's the rarity of the cards. Like if you had a very nice painting by a famous artist, and you didn't like something and had it changed somehow, you've now altered a super rare painting. Yours to change? Yes. But in a weird way, it forces your preference on other collectors when/if the piece becomes available. Imagine if every piece of art or every 1/1 were like this.

Another thought, what if the item doesn't get authenticated or can't pass authentication(if it's a sloppy sig that they won't authenticate)? The owner may not care because he plans to keep it. Say 30 years from now he passes and a prospective buyer is faced with getting it authenticated or wiping the auto. If it doesn't pass, and the auto is on the card for thirty years, it might not come off. Then what?

The point is, placing your preference above others is cool but it can be dicey with the rarity that has now been created by card manufacturers. What you do to a rare card really may have repercussions for other collectors.

Jon Mead

Jul 28, 2013
Value isn't really, IMO, the main issue. It's the rarity of the cards. Like if you had a very nice painting by a famous artist, and you didn't like something and had it changed somehow, you've now altered a super rare painting. Yours to change? Yes. But in a weird way, it forces your preference on other collectors when/if the piece becomes available. Imagine if every piece of art or every 1/1 were like this.

Another thought, what if the item doesn't get authenticated or can't pass authentication(if it's a sloppy sig that they won't authenticate)? The owner may not care because he plans to keep it. Say 30 years from now he passes and a prospective buyer is faced with getting it authenticated or wiping the auto. If it doesn't pass, and the auto is on the card for thirty years, it might not come off. Then what?

The point is, placing your preference above others is cool but it can be dicey with the rarity that has now been created by card manufacturers. What you do to a rare card really may have repercussions for other collectors.

This

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
The minute I meet Jason Donald I am cracking my superfractor with my teeth, Staedtler in hand.

There is no right or wrong answer, there's going to be many people on each side.

With weeks auto I would get the topps one signed. Keep the nicer looking bowman in tact and get the topps signed

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008

I say live for the now, who cares about 30 years from now. I have a handful of 1/1's im looking to get signed someday.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
I totally would if it were a paid signing and I could guarantee that it would look nice.

I have some supers and 1/1s that are definitely PC.

Oh, and only if the player would inscribe it "Superfractorcadulisticexpialidocious" That's only 1 word, right? (this ties into another plan I have to, if a player at a signing limits inscriptions by words, to come up with the longest possible sentence, letter-wise, in that amount of words).

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Prep it with a little rubbing alcohol. I don't use baby powder because it alters the surface (at least in my mind it does ;) ).

Rubbing Alcohol will remove the oils (from fingers) that cause the ink to bubble.

Try it on a base chrome card first.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Prep it with a little rubbing alcohol. I don't use baby powder because it alters the surface (at least in my mind it does ;) ).

Rubbing Alcohol will remove the oils (from fingers) that cause the ink to bubble.

Try it on a base chrome card first.

And it does nothing to the marker used after the fact? Just genuinely curious....

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
And it does nothing to the marker used after the fact? Just genuinely curious....

Ive never heard the alcohol....

My lcs owner simply uses a cut up polo shirt he got at Walmart for 5 bucks. using the same shirt since 2005. Probably a different swatch though.

I just use whatever top or dress im wearing as long as its not a scratchy polyester. Ive never had a problem, some people swear they've never prepped a chrome card when using a Staedtler but id be safe than sorry

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I say live for the now, who cares about 30 years from now. I have a handful of 1/1's im looking to get signed someday.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Fair enough but it isn't necessarily "yours". It's being a little selfish IMO. You'll eventually pass on. So others have to live with your decisions. I could maybe, over the course of my lifetime, be able to afford a very rare painting. How about I take it to the shooting range and blow holes in it? It's mine right?

Don't get me wrong...I love auto'd cards, provided they are legit. And I do that on my own too with plenty of cards I own. Having it authenticated is icing on the cake. But personally, I'd never be able to take something that has no equal, and altering it in any way. Your train of thought, even though it is merely about a card that hasn't much bearing on the general well being of anything, is a pretty scary one. People have those types of attitudes about a lot of things and eventually it comes back to bite us collectively. A lot of quotes ring true here but I'll use Ian Malcom (Goldblum) from Jurassic Park..."Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, that they didn't stop to think if they should.". IMO, as a collector and a lover of the hobby, be responsible.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Ive never heard the alcohol....

My lcs owner simply uses a cut up polo shirt he got at Walmart for 5 bucks. using the same shirt since 2005. Probably a different swatch though.

I just use whatever top or dress im wearing as long as its not a scratchy polyester. Ive never had a problem, some people swear they've never prepped a chrome card when using a Staedtler but id be safe than sorry

I don't like the shade of a staedtler but I know it applies a lot better than sharpie. People swear by it. I have some chrome cards I didn't prep and they came out fine. Hell, I have some I prepped well and they still came out crappy. It can depend on a lot of things. The marker, the temperature(standing in a long line out in the heat), etc. I usually use a polo shirt or a plain cotton one. Normally I take one out of the closet(Lacoste) and wipe it down. It's abrasive enough to do the trick IMO and I have not had a bad auto in several years. This baby powder stuff I shy away from because IMO, it's simply not necessary.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I don't like the shade of a staedtler but I know it applies a lot better than sharpie. People swear by it. I have some chrome cards I didn't prep and they came out fine. Hell, I have some I prepped well and they still came out crappy. It can depend on a lot of things. The marker, the temperature(standing in a long line out in the heat), etc. I usually use a polo shirt or a plain cotton one. Normally I take one out of the closet(Lacoste) and wipe it down. It's abrasive enough to do the trick IMO and I have not had a bad auto in several years. This baby powder stuff I shy away from because IMO, it's simply not necessary.

You guys put too much time into this but I'm the same way.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts