Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tier One Bash Brothers Dual Patch - Custom Style!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
So, I think I've continued to drive my family nuts by obsessing over how to do some patch cards. How to cut straight, how to glue, how to do this, how to do that, etc.

And then the questions - why isn't my printer printing straight? Didn't you hear me, printer?! I SAID LANDSCAPE MODE!!! How can anyone possibly cut these jersey windows properly?

I'm serious, people. This is draining so much of my time, it is getting in the way of my television watching. I haven't been able to watch mah stories all week!

Well, at a little past midnight last night, I was able to give birth to my first dual game used patch card of the Bash Brothers - Canseco and McGwire.

I know what some of you are thinking. "Did he really get some game used Canseco and McGwire jerseys only to tear them up on these custom cards? If not, how can he do this with fake jersey pieces?"

I will answer with this: YES, they are game used pieces! Probably just as authentic as anything Topps, Upper Deck or Panini have put out in the past decade or so...

ZZZZZIIIIINNGGGGGGG!

You see, sure, they are game used pieces, but probably from a little league game...I think. I got the hat for a quarter at a garage sale a while ago, and some kid named Justin was selling it. I assume his name is Justin, anyway - that is what was sewn in the back of the hat!

20140314_000812.jpg

Thanks, "Justin"...if that really is your name.

I have researched high and low, spent money at hobby lobby, irritated the workers and it looks like there are no shortcuts to doing this. There is just patience, trial and error, and more patience ... and LOTS of wasted paper, ink and various close brushes with death by way of exacto knife.

20140314_003155.jpg

Did I mention there was a LOT of trial and error? Oh, so much money wasted....

20140314_003431.jpg

Here is a picture of my dog for some reason? Yes, those are my pants, and yes, I do this whole process with no pants on.

20140314_003212.jpg

Don't believe what your friends are telling you. It is NOT FUN trying to get these game used windows just right. I used to laugh when I saw others attempt and it looked like a third grader could do better. Well, when I first tried, I sheepishly realized that if I could get to a third grade level, I'd be doing good.

20140314_003440.jpg

But, I got better! So, with that said - here are some pics of the end result. I'm happy with this - as a first try, anyway. It is a beautiful card of a dual patch we will never see, and if we do, will probably go for hundreds of more dollars than I would be willing to spend!

20140313_225657.jpg

I think this truly epitomizes the entire experience: A Tier One custom ... with kid's Elmer's Glue in the back. No, I don't recommend this, but it is the only glue I had on hand.

20140314_000019.jpg

Here is a close up of my new custom. It is done - yeah! I think it came out pretty dang good. It is absolute pure joy having the only copy of a card that was created specifically for your collection, which was never produced! Oh, and the fact that it didn't cost $400-$500 sure does help, too. I can live with the fact that Jose and Big Mac never touched these pieces of cloth. How sure are we that the players ever do, anyway, when they come from the packs?

20140314_000059.jpg

In case anyone wanted to take a peak ... yes, there is a back! The edges/sides are not perfect. Heck, the card isn't perfect. It is done by hand. While naked, it looks good - but in a holder, it looks pretty perfect, and for this card, that is all I care about, because it will always live in a holder of some sort.

20140314_000123.jpg

I hope you enjoyed following along my journey on this card. There likely will be more to come.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Imagine 50 years from now, some guys are going to be discussing a card they found in some haul that they can't find in any guide.

More and more custom cards are being made for personal enjoyment as well as to be sold as "art" or mock cards. The quality is getting better and better, not just the boring photo borders we used to see in the 70s and 80s. Eventually though, these may change hands and the original story may be lost and someone, somewhere, sometime is going to wonder just what in the heck they stumbled upon. It's kind of exciting to think about it too.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
That's a beautifully designed card and a great story to go along with ut.
You should post more often. You're funny.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I like the "Not from any specific moment in time". Great looking card. And put some pants on, please. Its a game used card, not a Body Hair DNA card. ;)

mouschi

May 18, 2012
thanks for the kind words guys, i appreciate it :)

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I'm not going to lie or fluff this at all, but I feel you did a better job with your homemade masterpiece than almost every GU card item of Mcgwire I own (and I own all but I think 5-10). Seriously I would put that piece higher than over 90% of my GU collection.

Seriously, you should be proud of that because I know I would be proud to have that in my collection.

Fantastic job man.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I'm not going to lie or fluff this at all, but I feel you did a better job with your homemade masterpiece than almost every GU card item of Mcgwire I own (and I own all but I think 5-10). Seriously I would put that piece higher than over 90% of my GU collection.

Seriously, you should be proud of that because I know I would be proud to have that in my collection.

Fantastic job man.

Thank you *very* much for your feedback - that was a super nice thing to hear!

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I just made my first custom, but had to have it printed professionally...while I'm happy with it for something that was made in MS Paint, I'd love to be able to make quality prints from home. Mind if I ask what kind of printer and card stock you're using?

mouschi

May 18, 2012
for now, just an inkjet printer, photo paper with cardboard backing, magic and love.

Members online

Latest posts