Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

4 card RCR at my LCS...Woot!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
There is no bad information in this thread. All that's been said is you aren't guaranteed to get the same grade on a real slab, it's possible to scam people with these holders, and there is a huge range in desirability and premium attached to RCR cards. All these things are true. The only thing I wonder about is if you have to pay full price for an actual holder, which I thought RCRs had a $5 discount on, but I don't handle them so I wouldn't know for sure.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
There is no bad information in this thread. All that's been said is you aren't guaranteed to get the same grade on a real slab, it's possible to scam people with these holders, and there is a huge range in desirability and premium attached to RCR cards. All these things are true. The only thing I wonder about is if you have to pay full price for an actual holder, which I thought RCRs had a $5 discount on, but I don't handle them so I wouldn't know for sure.

There's a ton of bad information. I worked at BGS for 7 years and here's the truth on RCR:

1. If you have a card graded via RCR and resubmit the card for encapsulation immediately after seeing the RCR grade then the grade is guaranteed or you will be compensated. That means you have to give the card back to BGS without taking it away from their booth. Once the card leaves the BGS booth the grade is not guaranteed. The reason for this is simple: the card can be damaged in the holder. Since the RCR case is a basic semi-rigid holder it can be bent, stepped on, melted, etc. and the card damaged as a result.

2. The statements some are making about the frequency at which the card changes grades are grossly exaggerated. BGS has performed the RCR service on hundreds of thousands of cards over the years and every year we get a dozen or so threads where a grade has changed. Simply put, that completely distorts how many cards are changing in grade. All we see are the threads for the cards that have changed but no threads for those that don't. The likelihood of an RCR grade changing is incredibly small.

Now, does that mean I'm going to go buy up a bunch of RCR cards on ebay? No. Like I said, the grade is only guaranteed if the card is resubmitted immediately upon review of the RCR grade at the show at with the service was performed. Since the grade on an RCR card on ebay is not guaranteed I won't buy it.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
There's a ton of bad information. I worked at BGS for 7 years and here's the truth on RCR:

1. If you have a card graded via RCR and resubmit the card for encapsulation immediately after seeing the RCR grade then the grade is guaranteed or you will be compensated. That means you have to give the card back to BGS without taking it away from their booth. Once the card leaves the BGS booth the grade is not guaranteed. The reason for this is simple: the card can be damaged in the holder. Since the RCR case is a basic semi-rigid holder it can be bent, stepped on, melted, etc. and the card damaged as a result.

2. The statements some are making about the frequency at which the card changes grades are grossly exaggerated. BGS has performed the RCR service on hundreds of thousands of cards over the years and every year we get a dozen or so threads where a grade has changed. Simply put, that completely distorts how many cards are changing in grade. All we see are the threads for the cards that have changed but no threads for those that don't. The likelihood of an RCR grade changing is incredibly small.

Now, does that mean I'm going to go buy up a bunch of RCR cards on ebay? No. Like I said, the grade is only guaranteed if the card is resubmitted immediately upon review of the RCR grade at the show at with the service was performed. Since the grade on an RCR card on ebay is not guaranteed I won't buy it.

THe bolded is really only worth noting, and is for the most part what everyone has been saying. This is why buying a RCR is bypassed by some, including me.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Go back and reread the thread, that is the very reason I do not by rcr and I mentioned it twice I believe. Either way you are spot on, buying a rcr = no guarantee.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
Go back and reread the thread, that is the very reason I do not by rcr and I mentioned it twice I believe. Either way you are spot on, buying a rcr = no guarantee.

I did re-read the thread. Nobody pointed out that the grade is guaranteed or compensation is issued if turned back in at the BGS booth. All I saw were posts about how the grade would "probably" change which is very far from the truth.

Yes, we are in agreement that we won't buy RCR on ebay.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008

That sheds a lot of light on RCR.So you were a grader for them for 7 years, or worked in some other capacity?

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
That sheds a lot of light on RCR.So you were a grader for them for 7 years, or worked in some other capacity?

I was grading sales manager at our home office in Dallas and traveled to 30+ shows a year. If you ever dropped off cards at a BGS booth at a major show then you probably dealt with me at some point. I was the BGS rep for Gilmore, Skripsky, Joe Chimenti, Phil Mason, and others. It was a lot of fun.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I was grading sales manager at our home office in Dallas and traveled to 30+ shows a year. If you ever dropped off cards at a BGS booth at a major show then you probably dealt with me at some point. I was the BGS rep for Gilmore, Skripsky, Joe Chimenti, Phil Mason, and others. It was a lot of fun.

Neat job.Got tired of travel?

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont

TLDR Version: When buying RCR be aware that the seller may have "bent, stepped on, melted" or otherwise damaged the card in such a way it will get a lesser grade.

Beckett may be 100% accurate when doing RCR Grades, but that still doesn't change the fact that when purchasing the card second hand that it is 100% accurate. Therefore the same premium shouldn't be put on RCR as slabbed.

It's like breaking a card out of a 9.5 slab and trying to sell it as a 9.5 because that's what it was before it was cracked out.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
TLDR Version: When buying RCR be aware that the seller may have "bent, stepped on, melted" or otherwise damaged the card in such a way it will get a lesser grade.

Beckett may be 100% accurate when doing RCR Grades, but that still doesn't change the fact that when purchasing the card second hand that it is 100% accurate. Therefore the same premium shouldn't be put on RCR as slabbed.

It's like breaking a card out of a 9.5 slab and trying to sell it as a 9.5 because that's what it was before it was cracked out.

I stated myself that I wouldn't buy RCR off eBay. I'm simply pointing out that those that believe the grade will "probably" change are giving out very bad information.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
Neat job.Got tired of travel?

Yeah, it got to be too much. I have young kids and spent far too much of their lives on the road. I miss my old co-workers and I really enjoyed meeting people at the shows but I'm glad to be home. Would I have ever met you at a show?

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I stated myself that I wouldn't buy RCR off eBay. I'm simply pointing out that those that believe the grade will "probably" change are giving out very bad information.

After rereading the thread I can see why you are clarifying your contention, and I agree that stipulating a grade will probably or even most likely change is wrong. In fact I would say it is a rare case that it actually changes. Having said that, and just to restate my stance on why I do not buy RCR, it is because it is not a guaranteed grade, it is not yet in a slab, and you still have to pay for the service. So from my perspective it may just as well be raw still since with a raw card the grade is also not guaranteed, nor in a slab, and you also still have to pay to submit. Add to that the possibility for tampering and damage after the fact and I simply see no reason to purchase an RCR. I have always lived by the notion of buying the card, not the grade, and this (to me) is even more important with a rcr. But just to reiterate, yes it is bad information to say "the grade will probably change". But it is equally as fruitless to think that a rcr adds any value to an otherwise raw card. Just my 2...

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Yeah, it got to be too much. I have young kids and spent far too much of their lives on the road. I miss my old co-workers and I really enjoyed meeting people at the shows but I'm glad to be home. Would I have ever met you at a show?

Sweet gig, a lot of people would love to have a job like that.Could you work for them in some other way without all the travel?I've never been a big city person except maybe to see my team play, so you wouldn't find me at one.

Haven't been to any shows in a long time.That is one thing I've always liked about Beckett, they have a section in their guide that highlights were shows are in each state in the upcoming months.Not sure if you had anything to do with it, but I used to find several shows in my area by reading the guides.Do they still print that?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts